Kemper vs the real deal comparison from SpectreSoundStudios

• Andy Sneap and Michael Wagener started using Kemper.

I have to agree with the above. (paraphrased)
    Bands using Kemper is all fine, but once I learned producers of this caliber switching over too. I was sold.
    Considering it's a producers "profession" in order to coax the best out of their musical customers, their choice to adopt Kemper as their primary tool indeed spoke volumes to me.

Happy Kemper

• Now, the GOOD news is this: Someone guessing it's a Tube Amp or a Kemper 3 times in a row is what is insignificant.

The fact that you get many outcomes, some all spot on, some all wrong, some mixed, is PROOF that you can't tell the Kemper from and a tube amp. That is how "random" looks, is my point. The ONE guy who "got it all right" is not proof that the Kemper is fallible, it's proof that statistically this can 3-in-a-row guessing can happen and does happen randomly. Next test, that person might fail to get all right. Most likely, they would, unless there is something truly not "blind" about the test.

Yes. The probality law enter in action only when chance is involved. No chance or random is involved when you have to compare blue and red for example. But the KPA and real tube amps are so close that the probality law is the only thing to consider in this exercise.

• Hi db9091,

We are talking about two very different things.

What you now are talking about is determining the probability of a string of k successes in n trials . This is known as a Bernoulli Process. That is not applicable to this scenario. We don't care what the probability is that someone gets a string of three consecutive correct answers/successes (by random guesses) in an arbitrarily large number of trials.

We have exactly 3 trials, and the question is what is the probability that exactly three successes occur simply by random guess. The answer is a 12.5% probability. Period.

Cheers,
    John

• We have exactly 3 trials, and the question is what is the probability that exactly three successes occur simply by random guess. The answer is a 12.5% probability. Period.

Mathematically: right. Yes. and i liked this argumentation. But you are wrong nevertheless, no offense, because db is even "wronger" because nobody "guessed". I presume most of us are in this business for more than hrrh ... 2 decades and ears do get trained. So even on my laptop -- because i am used to it -- i can hear differences.
    I love blindfold tests. Last time i had 4 out of 5, this time 2 out of 3 correctly.
    If i were a friggin' millionaire -- and please do not tell this to christoph k -- i would hire the best producer in town, rent 4 of the best amps, among them one bogner and one friedman @ each 4000 euros, quadruple my rhythm guitars, and record live. in the studio! but live the KPA is a no-brainer anyway.
    Since this is no option (see above), i am a happy kemperite. cheers and happy xmas.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• great comparison from SpectreSoundStudios Kemper vs the real deal

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I thought that 5150 sample A is the real amp.

forgot: thx for sharing, dude! :thumbup:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• I've seen some VERY cool DAC's for (ostensibly) laptops lately.

I saw this one reviewed in Recording magazine:
    http://schiit.com/home

So you don't have to suffer through laptop DAC's!

Cool, but i am a very lazy guy. the 3 meters to my studio monitors are often too much, nobody's fault but mine. 8)

• I think we're splitting hairs here. If the maker and the mixer of the Video relinquishes the multi-tracks to someone else to mix, applying minimal EQ to the real amp and the Kemper track and I would like to see how much money he would put on picking the real amp from the Kemper. Then he might want to consult with a statistician about his odds of winning.

• I wanted to take the test... but whoa, cannot listen to that type of music at all :)

The test doesn't say anything to me. You can have the same results with any of the competitors on the market. Heavy distorted sounds are quite easy to reproduce. I am using the KPA since I was a beta tester. Sold all my real amps and I will never go back. Take this as my statement about the Kemper. But I still hear the difference between a real amp most of the time. There is a certain "soul" in the sound of a real amp which I never heard from the KPA yet. Hard to describe. It's some hard metallic edge of the tone. With the Kemper this is always softened out a bit.
    But if I add all the advantages, the Kemper wins at the end. For me it is just most imortant if the sound can inspire me to play. It does. I had the same discussion years ago in the AxeFX forum. I took some "real" sounds and asked them to show me to some sounds they think it was the same. It was rediculous far away from a real amp.

• Heavy distorted sounds are quite easy to reproduce. ....

Not true at all. Maybe because you don't play that specific type of music and you don't realize how difficult it is to get an authentic amp-like real heavy sound that doesn't have fizz that riddles all modelers (including AXE FX II) ; in real amps it's called hair and that's what Kemper produces so I bought it because I think I can discern between fizz and hair, otherwise my POD HD or Eleven Rack would have been good enough.

If you play all levels of gains you will from time to time notice that there is a misunderstanding on the part of some of those who only play clean (or mid gain) and some of those who mainly play high gain. Each think that it's easy to get the other but it's no more less easy or difficult.

If you play all levels of gains you will from time to time notice that there is a misunderstanding on the part of some of those who only play clean (or mid gain) and some of those who mainly play high gain. Each think that it's easy to get the other but it's no more less easy or difficult

Exaclty this! :)

• Hmm, so I chose the better sounding options ... ending up with:
    A
    B
    B

... and I happened to pick the Kemper for the first 2 amps ... sounded more articulate / less muffled to me.