Annoyed by long Thread Titles?

• Not sure how others feel about excessively long thread titles.
    I think some commercial profilers are just to aggressive in there marketing efforts by using super-extended thread titles.
    Wouldn't it be fair to cut the max allowed length of thread titles considerably down?
    It really starts to annoy me a bit.

Any thoughts?

• I thought so, too. It's a title, not the text itself. It's getting a bit counterproductive, as often new releases are simply attached to the title. Maybe updating the title to the recent release would make it easier for us customers to keep an overview of what's going on at last, especially on smartphones. Which is the sellers' intention, I guess. So yes, with you. But not annoyed yet :) .

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Yes, the 'Commercial rigs and profiles' sub forum has become quite a crowded market place, and many sellers start to use CAPS and super- long thread titles to gain attention, which is understandable (in a market place).
    A few sellers like Pete, Andy, or Jimi don't do this BTW.
    So, no, I guess I'm not annoyed because I understand the market place character, but I will say it's getting more difficult to form an opinion about new profiles when every thread jumps at you shouting ' BUY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

• As long it is just in the 'Commercial rigs and profiles' sub forum I can understand it as a kind of advertising.
    Something unpleasant but acceptable.
    In other forums, I would welcome the inclusion of this item in the netiquette.

stay tuned - Harry

• @lightbox while you did post this thread in the right subforum, I think I will move it to the 'Commercial rigs and profiles' subforum, since it
    a) raises an issue concerning this specific subforum
    b) has the best chance to get replies in this subforum
    c) has a better chance making commercial profilers aware of your concerns

• Or how about spamming in other people's posts? Just the other day some "commercial profiler" decided to spam my thread with his new Marshall pack when I was inquiring about something completely different. He's also guilty of doing exactly what this thread is about. Pretty sure he's probably what sparked this thread in the first place. Hell the dude even spammed a FB post haha. it's getting out of hand...

• Or how about spamming in other people's posts? Just the other day some "commercial profiler" decided to spam my thread with his new Marshall pack when I was inquiring about something completely different. He's also guilty of doing exactly what this thread is about. Pretty sure he's probably what sparked this thread in the first place. Hell the dude even spammed a FB post haha. it's getting out of hand...

I saw that, thought it was out if order, the guy has done the same on a few threads now if anything it makes me less likely to buy his packs.

I know who you mean. Dude, my eyes are bleeding, man. it's getting out of hand ...

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Reason I'm using the longer title is because I don't have credibility yet it's one way to show what I can do. I'm sure in due time people will know what to expect from me and thus a long title is not needed but at the moment it's just something to help me stand out . Oh, and It's not a short term cash grab as i've been working with music and mixing for donkey years. Oh and my next release means i'll be consolidating my releases to a singular thread :)

• For me, credibility starts with a free offering to show adequate capability. Every major profiler offered many free ones before selling and others when asked via PM did then put up free ones on their sites to give you an idea of what you were buying.

If a seller is afraid they are giving away the goods, then they don't have enough to sell or aren't good enough, IMO.

I've occasionally purchased from some of these FULL CAPS ON commercial yellers and tried their stuff and wised there was a return policy. I've been burned too many times to try new profilers until I get proof they have the proper capability. You can't go by audio files. You gotta play profiles with your own guitars.

• Yes, I feel the same.

In order to get some more clicks from new users it's necessary to be on the first page of this section.

I try to use only one thread all the time - some others seam to use a new thread for each subject.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a sticky with a list of all commercial sellers and a link to the homepage.

just my two cent.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• For me, credibility starts with a free offering to show adequate capability. Every major profiler offered many free ones before selling and others when asked via PM did then put up free ones on their sites to give you an idea of what you were buying.

If a seller is afraid they are giving away the goods, then they don't have enough to sell or aren't good enough, IMO.

I've occasionally purchased from some of these FULL CAPS ON commercial yellers and tried their stuff and wised there was a return policy. I've been burned too many times to try new profilers until I get proof they have the proper capability. You can't go by audio files. You gotta play profiles with your own guitars.

I give away freebies but still, 5 profiles vs 100+ .... it's always nice to be able to grab a users attention.

• I like what TAF did, which was a thread per bundle so I could easily search, find and know what everyone was talking about.

Armin, you do a "pick your own bundle" style so the one thread does make sense for you and it's a good style too. Although I would have no problem with a thread on a particular amp for you since you, on the earlier ones, just offered so many profiles they were practically bundles and worthy of one-thread commenting.

There ARE some threads which are just hype threads like "I LOVE XXX" and as long as it's once a year I don't mind a little hype. Commercial profilers are people too and need to know they are wanted to keep producing good work.

I DO wish folks who do post love threads would post their affiliation too. Like "I'm friends with so-and-so" or "I received this bundle for free because I supported so-and-so for every bundle so far" so we can know there is an inside connection. Otherwise it becomes somewhat like guerrilla marketing.

• I give away freebies but still, 5 profiles vs 100+ .... it's always nice to be able to grab a users attention.

That's all I meant: Having "tasters" is key to grabbing my interest. I'm not very taken by the long all-cap subjects, personally. I'm more inclined to walk away. It's ok to have ONE word capped to grab attention and keep it short. But things like "THE BEST PROFILES EVER" make me pass on by because I don't trust it. Kind of like 'Quality Pizza'. If you gotta say "Quality"...

I would say, if there is a huge headline, that means there is a lot to live up to. So if I do buy one and am disappointed I'm also more likely to voice that disappointment than if it was a tame subject line. Because of the mismanagement of my expectations. If you say "best ever" it better be or else!

The Kemper community has been spoiled by Kemper's advertisement being exactly true. So I think it's looked down upon to have hyped marketing of profiles.

• True, i've shortened my titles :) let's start a trend.

• It was becoming a bit much, some titles taking close to 10 lines on my iPad, so it's good to see the trend reversing. If we're here, it's because we're already hungry for information and news on our beloved Kempers, so a short, interesting, informative, relevant title is enough. I'll always be open to checking out the work of seasoned, full-time pros like Bert and Andy, and I hope many more come along. It doesn't take a 40-word title to get me interested in that.