Different marketing strategies (pricing, discounting, pack sizes, bundling) of commercial profiles

• I started writing about this first in Guidorist's thread, but then decided it's perhaps a bit off topic and I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'll put it here. The pricing discussion also came up in another seller's thread today, so I think it's worth this having its own thread, and not just pricing but marketing tactics in general.

Things I like as a buyer:

• Small to medium packs -- enough of a range but I don't care for 50 profiles of one amp. YMMV if you're a professional or run a studio, but for me the differences are too minute and it becomes like 300 brands of tooth paste. A small pack will also be cheaper so it's a quicker decision to dip my toes in and buy more if I like it.
    • Low price: of course I would say that as a customer, but the marginal cost of production is almost zero, so price it attractively and make it up in volume. Arguments based on value or the cost of the actual amp don't ring true to me when I already have $600-700 in commercial profiles and at this stage in the game am primarily shopping for entertainment or curiosity. So don't tell me that 20 dollars for 3 profiles is nothing if it helps you find your tone. Yeah right.
    • Constant price throughout the year, rather than high base price and then deep discounts occasionally. In marketing parlance, EDLP (everyday low pricing) instead of high-low pricing. Or not a high price for the first pack and then a deep discount for the following ones. In the latter case, I may fill my boots once but I won't buy your new profiles one by one.

It's kind of interesting to observe the wide variety of marketing strategies of the different sellers, and which sellers/profiles get traction on the forums, and which threads get lonely fast. What I'm seeing is that large/huge packs are a tough sell. Even if they come from high-profile sellers, the discussion often fizzles out quickly. Same with new entrants with very ambitiously priced packs, and glowing buddy reviews, although those are more amusing than anything. Anyway, those are some of my thoughts that have been playing on my mind over the past year, watching different sellers' approaches. I'm a marketing professor, by the way, so this is something I'm inherently interested in.

Don't take anything too personally are as criticism if you're a commercial profiler. Deciding the optimal price for a new product is always mired in uncertainty. In the end, trial and error and adapting flexibly are best. Also don't ask me for advice because I said I'm a marketing professor. ;) I'm an empiricist, and always prefer to make decisions based on observation, and have little time for the big mouths in my profession who have a one worldview that is supposed to solve every situation.

Edited 5 times, last by GASbag ().

• There is almost every variation to be found.

• Big and expensive packs only
    • Small and relatively "cheap" only
    • and a mix of it.

I do not like and will not buy number 1. i have made one exception of my rule and while i liked some of the profiles i could not use 80% of the others.
      so: no, i wont pay for packs. sellers: make teasers and small bundles. not for everyone here 50 euro/dollars are peanuts.
      and thanks to the OP for those thoughtful words.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.