Input Settings / Output Settings What Is Best??

• Hi Guys,
    What works best for people?? I have 'clean sens' & 'distortion sens' set to zero on Input Screen??? (I play Les Paul with medium gain humbuckers)

On Output Screen I have Main Output, Monitor Output & Direct Output all on 'Master Mono' and on page 2/7 i have Main Vol at -14db (not linked to master vol.) Monitor Volume at -29db (linked to master vol.)...the rest Direct Vol & Headphone Vol etc...not sure I'll get involved much...unless told differently on here!!

Bit unsure as to best set up...again only really going to use this live through my 4x12 Marshall, this is a powered rack.

Would be really interested is seeing how you guys set up your input/output settings for this unit...especially those of you who play it 'live' in a band situation.

Thanks everyone.
    Niall

• I have a similar question, except I'm using the Kemper as my amp going into the FX Loop of a Line 6 Helix in 4CM which I use for MIDI control and effects. What's a good method to ensure unity gain?

My apologies to the OP if this is considered hijacking. We seem to be looking for similar answers, so I refrained from creating yet another thread. I will if it's not considered the same though.

• Set the clean sens so that when strumming hard the input LED occasionally blinks red.
    the output settings depend on what's next in the chain, ideally you want the highest signal before the following device's input clips. -15/-20 dB will work fine for most applications, but remember those figures are measuring an attenuation of the original signal and not an actual output level. IOW, the actual output level also depends on the rigs' loudness.

HTH

• Thanks Gianfranco! Unfortunately, the Helix doesn't have meters that indicate clipping so I had to go by ear and set the outputs to -15dB. In the Helix, I just left the FX Loop at default settings (nominal levels). All I know is that I can set the Helix's Send/Return to either Line or Instrument level. I need to find out what the Kemper's outputs are (probably Line level?).

• Set the clean sens so that when strumming hard the input LED occasionally blinks red.

I see that some people use this as a means for setting Clean Sens, but I found that I prefer lower values. I suspect that this is because I use cleaner tones and less overdrive than most people, and I don't want my guitar sound overdriven to the extent that some do. My suggestion is to use your ears for setting this. Also, if you find that your "gainier" rigs are noticeably louder than your clean rigs, then increase the Clean Sens to help equalize them. I believe that's what it's original intent is anyway ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Larry, if you feel that your overdriven tones are too distorted, Distorted Sens is the parameter to tweak.
    it makes... sense to set CS as high as possible (or to a high-enough value anyway), in order to optimize the A/D converter's headroom.

:)

• Larry, if you feel that your overdriven tones are too distorted, Distorted Sens is the parameter to tweak.
    it makes... sense to set CS as high as possible (or to a high-enough value anyway), in order to optimize the A/D converter's headroom.

That ^ makes sense.

OK, so I've been reading the Kemper's manual and I see that the 1/4" Main Output has a max level of +16dBu, which I believe translates to -12dBFS (given that Line 'nominal' level is +4dBu). IOW, setting the Main 1/4" Outputs on the Kemper to -12dB should give the Helix a signal of +4dBu when setting its Return's input level to Line. Does this sound right to you guys?

Thanks!

No, the high gain rigs are as I want them. Bumping the Clean Sens too high causes too much distortion in my clean rigs. I never mess with the Distortion Sens.

• I'm not sure where the idea came from to adjust Clean Sens until you're almost clipping, but I'm pretty sure that it's original intent was simply to provide a means for adjusting input to the point where clean sounds have the same perceived loudness as distorted sounds.

• This comes from the intrinsicly "ambiguous" nature of CS. It doesn't come from very far, actually :)

The 3-color LED on top of the input is your clip LED. This enables you to avoid clipping the A/D.

[...] “hot” guitars can generate unwanted distortion, indicated by the Input LED flashing red. This is specially true for clean sounds [...] If you want to avoid a red input LED, you can always lower Clean Sens.

Basically, if you raise CS enough you'll clip the A/D converter. Ergo, CS determines the level of the analog signal hitting the converter. As a consequence, if you lower it, you're not using the converter at its full resolution.

You can consider this a simple trade-off if you will, but it's true nevertheless.
    I agree that CS also balances the levels, as you write. And can understand that for some fully exploiting the converter's resolution may not be a priority. But better to know what we are doing IMO :)

• And, from the Addendum doc -
    If you use effects like distortion or compression in one of the two paths, you might find that the levels of each differ
    significantly. This is because the signal level is usually dependent of the instrument level in general, but often
    independent, when distortion or compression is involved. You can avoid such level deviations by adjusting by
    balancing the parameter Clean Sens in the INPUT menu. Clean Sens balances clean and distorted (or compressed) sounds to equal levels.

Clean Sens balances clean and distorted (or compressed) sounds to equal levels.

As I wrote, I agree with the above :)

In my first post here I wrote "if you feel the distorted tones are too distorted", not "too high". Dist Sens determines how distorted a non-clean sound is.
    Does this clarify what I'm trying to say my friend? :)