RM with an i-pad

• Maybe someone has asked it before but i cant find a thread. The idea is to use the rm with an i-pad app. I asked Ingolf but he says that is impossible. I wonder why because there a a few apps on the market which are controlling differnt equipment. It not so comfortable to have a laptop with you if you are at a rehearshal and you like to check out rigs from the rm. Maybe its a hardware problem to connect the kpa to an i-pad and send change signals, i dont know, but for it makes sense to have a connection to my i-pad and id like to change rigs by a fingertipp. What do you guys think?

cheers
    Frank

and..........

• I think RM & Editor (no intention to start the debate again here) via tablet would make me buy a tablet. In a size that fits into the KPA bag. Android though. Anyway, I think this will happen one day. I also think they got a long list of stuff that is permanently being requested, so we should appreciate whatever is coming next and respect their priorities. Though I would like an editor, it is not necessary for survival. But since RM is already existing, having it on a tablet would be smart.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• +1

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• sending program change messages from an iPad should be possible with an iPad MIDI interface (there are lot's of manufacturers) and a suitable app (like MIDI Designer).
    ...if you know what you are doing ;)

Hi Don, thx for your answer, but this seems too complicated for an "normal" user. What i mean is the functionality of the rm in win 7 on an i-pad, thats all. I am not a software developer, so i cant imagine how many work is on such a program and what kind of hardware is nessecary.
    Normaly you haven't a connection to the www, so you can't use exchange, but if it works without exchange connection you have your rig folders on your side. And if it works with a telephone card, your on the rig exchange with an i-phone and have all rigs in your pocket, and not on a computer or a laptop that you have to carry. Nice dream. I think this is a good feature for a modern product like the kpa.

cheers
    Frank

and........

• I could do this, if I knew the exact protocol for the RM exchange. If it's possible to do this with MIDI, I'm already done. I have written an iPad app to control all the standard MIDI stuff for the KPA (besides the effects). But sending down profiles not using MIDI will be a different kind of animal.

• Stick to angry birds on the iPad and get a surface pro for the serious work;)

+1

Just got myself a Surface Pro 4 i5 w/ 8GB ram and 256 SSD and whoa this thing kicks ass! I have an ipad air and an ipad pro (I'm tech professional by day so need to have everything) and I can tell you that my surface pro just kills my ipad's for this type of music production work. I have RM on it and it is AWESOME!! Tablet format running everything including Ableton Live 9 , IK Sample Tank 3, and band in a box along with many other things and RM too.. try and do any of that on an ipad - no way can't!

• get a surface pro for the serious work;)

I have very good experience with Surface Pro 3, which I always use at rehearsal.
    It contains all my important programs and files incl. RM.

Next investment will probably be a digital mixer, which can be controlled from the surface via WLan.
    If I can convince my wife that I am financially recovered from Kemper purchase. ;)

Now on bread and water :saint: - Harry

• @ Eltzejupp: You need some kind of cable connection between the KPA and the iPad (like USB). The simple functionality of RM on an iPad doesn't do the trick alone. Therefore you'll need some kind of interface/adapter anyway.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• @ Eltzejupp: You need some kind of cable connection between the KPA and the iPad (like USB). The simple functionality of RM on an iPad doesn't do the trick alone. Therefore you'll need some kind of interface/adapter anyway.

Yes, i think so. Therefore my question about hardware. But there are so many adapters on the market, maybe such a cable exists. I have uploaded jamup some month ago and i bought the line 6 adapter to connecr my guitar. It works very fine and its an absolut usuable tool for rehearshing. BTW you can download rigs from an exchange with jamup by a fingertip.

Cheers
    Frank

and......

• sending program change messages from an iPad should be possible with an iPad MIDI interface (there are lot's of manufacturers) and a suitable app (like MIDI Designer).
    ...if you know what you are doing ;)

yes thats what I already doing: sending midi from SetListMaker (iPad app) to call a performance/slot.
    To have access to all rigs from RigExchange or own/payed rigs from an ipad would be great!