Back Up of added subfolders

• This might be headed for the "Feature Requests" topic but I wanted to check with the rest of you to make sure I wasn't just being stupid! :D

First of all, I have a created subfolder under "Local Library" called, "Purchased" where I put all my purchased rigs so as not to lose them amongst the free rigs in "MyProfilier". Well, accidently while trying to delete a rig I changed in the "Purchased" folder, I deleted the entire folder! :cursing: But then I thought, no problem, I have a recent backup! I restored the backup file to my KPA and, NO "Purchased" subfolder! X(

Now, I have the original purchased rigs saved on my PC and was able to copy them all back into a newly created "Purchased" folder but why wasn't that folder in the backup file? Has anyone else experienced this or did I miss something? If not, be forewarned that added folders will not be included in the backup.

• Any folder outside "My Profiler" is located on your computer, so the Profiler has no way to "see" it.

You can save your RM configuration by just copying its dB elsewhere.
    Its location on the computer depends on your OS, on W7 it is at C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\RigManager\.KPASerialnumber.db

HTH

• I didn't know that! Thank you very much and Happy New Year!

***Edit***
    I do use W7 but I do not have a file called, "KPASerialnumber.db" in that location. However, there is a subfolder called, "Local Library/Purchased" and a file called, "repository.db" inside which I assume is the file I want to backup...

• I do use W7 but I do not have a file called, "KPASerialnumber.db" in that location. However, there is a subfolder called, "Local Library/Purchased" and a file called, "repository.db" inside which I assume is the file I want to backup...

I reposted the edit from my post above because I wasn't sure you would receive a prompt that there was a response in this topic and not check back...

• I save the whole Rig Manager folder and call it a day...

I use the function "Backup Rig Manager content" at TAB "Tools" of RM.
    Is it what you mentioned above?
    Additional all Rig-files I have purchased or downloaded will I stored in subdirectories at HDD.
    Harry

• Looks like I missed that one Harry! The manual says:

"Backup and restore Rig Manager’s entire content

Those backups contain the entire content of your Rig Manager including all Local Libraries and excluding
    the content of your Profiler. The backups are cross-platform compatible, in other words you can use them
    to transfer your Library from Macs to PCs and vice versa.
    Use this backup to migrate your data from one computer to another.

✔✔Note, that this is a different backup to the one you can create in Profiler and put on an USB stick."

Thanks, I will give that a try!

• Note, that this is a different backup to the one you can create in Profiler and put on an USB stick."

Yes the RM stores every thing on the PC exept the content from the KPA. To make a back up and restore is a different procedure and has to be done at the KPA.(with USB stick)

If you switch on the KPA and the RM, the first step always is synchronising. That means the RM read the Kemper ( if there is a working USB connection.)
    You can move, delete or add data between RM and KPA, but you can not move the data of the KPA to store at another place.
    If you make a directory in the local Library and name it for example "KPA-content", you could copy the Rigs from the KPA to the RM and they will also saved with a backup ;)

I hope now all clarities are eliminated ;) - Harry

• I use the function "Backup Rig Manager content" at TAB "Tools" of RM. Is it what you mentioned above?
    Additional all Rig-files I have purchased or downloaded will I stored in subdirectories at HDD.

I physically copy the folder, but I guess the contents are the same :)

• Provided RM backup has no serious flaw or hick-ups, using the built-in backup/restore feature comes with a few advantages:

Everything ends up in one file.
    The file automatically has a meaningful and useful name (Date Time - Owner.rmbackup).
    It can easily be included in your system backup (Time machine, True Image, ...)
    You can keep as many versions as you like in one "handy" place.
    You do not have to interact with the file system.

You do have to trust the Kemper software team though. ;) I do. if you don't, then copying the folder structure manually is probably your best chance at keeping your RM's data safe.

Never forget to do the occasional restore!
    Believing everything is backed up is often very different from actually having everything backed up properly.

Bottom line:
    Backing up the Kemper will save all data, that is stored and contained on the Profiler, backing up Rig Manager will save all data that is saved in the RM database.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Agreed with the above, those are all valid points.

BTW I've been using Total Commander (which accidentally is German too) since years, perhaps the best file manager ever created. I also use it to natively open Kemper's backup files or other compressed files with no need for an external app, order my rigs etc.

Interacting with the file system has been my native approach to my CP since forever, since the days of Norton Commander (which TC is a later substitute for). I very rarely use Windows' icon system, and TC is my default interface when the computer boots up.
    For me, copying a folder in a place of my choice is much faster than operating through RM, and I can do it w\o even starting the program.

:)

• Believing everything is backed up is often very different from actually having everything backed up properly.

You're kidding, right? I thought believing something made it real, bigHF?

Dang... I'm gonna have to reassess my entire mod-titty-'cause blooper-andy... :D

• gianfranco
    I know that and while writing my post it felt like you were watching over my sholder - but in a good way; I would even go so far and say: "In that regard, I know you". :thumbup:
    I almost forgot about Total Commander - thanks for reminding me. Great tool! I loved Norton Commander back in the days, but I finally got away from command line tools when I switched to Mac/OSX for photography and music.

@Monkey_Man
    Ha! :D
    The truth is - I am a believer - in many ways - and "think it - get it" is concept I understand and use in my life - BUT nothing is perfect and when it comes to IT knowing is usually superior to believing.

90% of the game is half-mental.

Edited once, last by bigHF ().

• For me, copying a folder in a place of my choice is much faster than operating through RM, and I can do it w\o even starting the program.

don't rely on things to never change. you have no info on how things work and also which changes are in the making. all i can do is recommend to use the backup function in Rig Manager. there is a reason why we put it there.
    gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Thanks G String, I am all ears :)
    Let's say I have had no reason yet to change my approach, but if I am aware of anything (new services, paradigms, possibilities, techniques) I am always on for a change. I just don't change things that work.

:)

• I'm the same, Gianfranco.

@Monkey_Man
    Ha! :D
    The truth is - I am a believer - in many ways - and "think it - get it" is concept I understand and use in my life - BUT nothing is perfect and when it comes to IT knowing is usually superior to believing.

Of course you know that was a tongue-in-cheek comment, eh bigHF? :D

don't rely on things to never change. you have no info on how things work and also which changes are in the making. all i can do is recommend to use the backup function in Rig Manager. there is a reason why we put it there.
    gs

Hmm... somewhat cryptic, but I think I'm sold.

From now on I'll keep my mirrored folder hierarchy as well as use the backup function from within RM.

Thank you, G String.