[NGD] New studio monitors

• I guess it's a matter of both being able to do "surgical work" and getting a true image of the what the sound REALLY is like, but also being able to be drawn into the music for the more artistic aspects of mixing rather than being at arm's length. Some people might have a hard time doing one or the other on certain speakers. That's why it's said that choosing monitors is a very personal thing, and not only a matter of frequency plots.

I agree wholeheartedly, Michael.

@Monkey_Man Ah, Opals! One of the other sets that I hanker for! Great monitors you got there, and one of the few sets that balance mojo with surgical precision. I guess they're cheaper over there, being Aussie (cost an absolute fortune in DK)

Well all I can say is that IMHO you've got great taste, Sam.

I'm glad you see them this way too - that elusive balance of accuracy and mojo.

I think they are cheaper here, which is rare for music gear as we're used to being ripped off down under, being at the ass end of the world and all. Mind you, I started saving the day they came out and only managed to finally get 'em a little over a year ago. I think I was banking pennies for 6-8 years all up but I lost count after about 5. By the time I bought them there had been 3 updates to the components.

Dammit, I tell you what, Sam: If I "make it" and the dollars start rolling in, I'll buy you a set seeing as you're such a legendary dude and because you obviously appreciate them; I'm confident they'd be going to a good home, as they say. You read it here first, folks; it's in black and white, and I'm a man of my word (what else do we have?). Better cross your fingers for me SamBro'. LOL

• I think you really misunderstood my recommendation. :)
    I'm talking about seriously good and brutally honest studio monitors, not about some living room speakers only for enjoying. :)
    But the difference to the KH speakers is the added brutally exact stereo image which is a pleasure to work with, plus an added level of depth in the overall sound that gives you this extra bit of "3D sound stage" feel as opposed to the slightly more 2-dimensional wall of sound from the KH speakers.
    It's impossible to describe the difference in text, all I can do is to recommend you to try them. They are a game changer, promised. Not looking back. ;)

It's all good, I knew what you meant :)
    I see Thomann carries their PA line, but not the studio models, I'll have to see if I can find a distributor...

Edit : just saw your other post with the link! Thanks!

• Hahaha! Nice one, Monkey! You ever need a (second-rate) funky session player, I'm your man! Lol!

• Hahaha! Nice one, Monkey! You ever need a (second-rate) funky session player, I'm your man! Lol!

Better take a screen dump, Sam - with the editing capabilities on this forum, that "it's in black and white" can quickly become "yellow in white" when Monkey_Man makes it... It IS the music business, after all. The hint is in his name, too... He really is "the Man"... As in "stickin' it to the Man" :D