Adam vs Mackie vs Focal vs Genelec - for general listening pleasure and KPA use

• I have no experience with either.
    *BUT* - if you were to choose one of the below for general listening pleasure (less fatiguing = better), semi-serious audio production and use with the KPA - which one would be your choice?

Adam:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/adam_…=search_rslt_a8x_245573_0

Mackie:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_hr824_mk2.htm

Focal:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/focal_solo_6_be.htm

Genelec:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/genelec_m040.htm

or

Genelec:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/genelec_8040_bpm.htm

• No experience, sorry.

Just some things to be aware of (which I'm sure you've already considered - but they're also for the benefit of people who might wander in):

- These monitors have a pretty large footprint - make sure you have room for them :)
    - The price is per unit, not per pair
    - Not all frequency specs (i.e. "35-22 kHz") include the absolutely crucial detail about the measurement here - i.e., is it within +/- 1.5 dB, or is it within +/- 10 dB?

In general, for those tasks, I would personally go with something a good bit cheaper - but if you feel like spending that kind of money, go for it :-).

When you say "semi-professional audio production", what does that mean? Is it tracking, mixing or mastering? And is it your own stuff, or also paying clients? My take on purchases for use for paid work is this: run it like you would a business - use the income for gear purchases, not "personal" money. That keeps gear purchases at a sensible level FROM THAT ASPECT. Or rather, it can make you aware of potential underlying GAS motivations ;)

And lastly - people tend to recommend what they already have, so be aware of whether people who recommend brand X have (fairly solid) direct experience with the other options. No experience doesn't necessarily make their opinions invalid, but it's something to factor into your decision.

I see you currently have Yamaha HS-8s, so I'll go out on a limb and assume this is why you're looking for something non-fatiguing. If I recall correctly, the Yammys have a reputation for being quite mid-forward, shooting for a kind of updated NS-10 sound. What people often don't realize that the NS-10s are not necessarily ideal for the whole mixing process, but rather for the single task of balancing of the mids of the individual tracks. An important part of the process, but not the whole story. Sorry for going off topic on ya there. My point is, if my assumption about the mid-forwardness of the HS-8s is correct, then you probably don't NEED to get to a much higher price point to get a more pleasant sound.

• Hi Michael, these are excellent observations - many thanks!

Basically, I'd like to upgrade from the HS-8's - I moved to a new place - and to me, in the new room they sound a bit too harsh and also boxy.
    I just upgraded my audio interface from a Focusrite Scarlett to a MOTU Ultralite Mk3. Now I have a GAS attack for serious monitors - that are a bit more "pleasent" on the ears and less boxy sounding.

I don't really master - I track my self-made audio materials and mix them myself. The mastering is done by a friend in a pro studio environment.

But I'd also like something to be pleasently usable for youtube vids, BluRay viewing and even gaming on my PC...

• Cool - good that you're aware of your own motivations :) I'll reiterate my point that I don't think you need to go to this price level of monitors, but that is entirely your choice, and I respect it either way

Now the boring question - how's your room treatment and how big is your room, and it's shape? When you say your new place sounds harsh and boxy, I immediately think that your problem might not be the monitors :) In that case, I would DEFINITELY advise you to spring for a less pricey set, and spend the difference on the room. Otherwise, you MIGHT experience the same problems with an expensive set, and that would be a damn shame!

• Sounds good. Do you have any experience with Genelecs, Adans or Focals and can compare this with the Neumanns?

Not really. I know the Adam 5X and 7X, but not the 8X. I worked with the old Mackies HR824, but not the mk2. And I´ve heared some old Genelecs. After reading a lot about the Neumanns and talking to some friends, who own them too, I ordered a pair .. and never sent them back.

• The room is less than ideal, unfortunately. I will spend some €€ on room damping etc.
    It's a medium sized room - rectangle and about 25m² with high walls, a few obstacles - the Yammies are right next to a wall... they are just a bit boxy - but I feel they were like this from the start. I never really bonded with them so my motivation is more a GAS attack with the urge to spend money on something good. But you're right of course in your arguments. Room treatment is definitely on my priority list right now...

• Not really. I know the Adam 5X and 7X, but not the 8X. I worked with the old Mackies HR824, but not the mk2. And I´ve heared some old Genelecs. After reading a lot about the Neumanns and talking to some friends, who own them too, I ordered a pair .. and never sent them back.

Cool. How did you feel about the A7x's, the Mackies and the older Genelecs?

• Neumann KH120A :)

THIS! These are the best monitors you can buy for the money (and even some more expensive models won't match them). I have experience with all of the ones you posted except the Mackies (which I've heard, but not actually mixed on). I'd go for the Neumann set over all these put together!

The KH120As are ruler flat down to 60Hz (which is ridiculous, considering their size!). They tail off quite quickly, but so do all ported speakers after the resonant frequency. These don't have any hump of any kind in the lows, so you can trust them. They also have minimal smearing/bass hangover, which again is no mean feat with ported speakers. In fact, the only speakers I'd have over these are more than twice the price

• Not really. I know the Adam 5X and 7X, but not the 8X. I worked with the old Mackies HR824, but not the mk2. And I´ve heared some old Genelecs. After reading a lot about the Neumanns and talking to some friends, who own them too, I ordered a pair .. and never sent them back.

THIS! These are the best monitors you can buy for the money (and even some more expensive models won't match them). I have experience with all of the ones you posted except the Mackies (which I've heard, but not actually mixed on). I'd go for the Neumann set over all these put together!

The KH120As are ruler flat down to 60Hz (which is ridiculous, considering their size!). They tail off quite quickly, but so do all ported speakers after the resonant frequency. These don't have any hump of any kind in the lows, so you can trust them. They also have minimal smearing/bass hangover, which again is no mean feat with ported speakers. In fact, the only speakers I'd have over these are more than twice the price

Thanks to the both of you for chiming in.
    Do the Neumann's hiss when they are on but nothing is being played?

• Ich mach´s das mal ausnahmsweise in deutsch... Sorry for that.

Die A7x fand ich etwas zu hart. Ich hab sie nicht bei mir gehört. Vielleicht lag es auch am Raum, aber ich fand die oberen Mitten irgendwie etwas nervig.

Die alten HR824 waren ganz okay. Für meine Begriffe recht weich, fast schon zu weich, aber schön rund und nicht aufdringlich.

Die Genelecs (ich weiß gar nicht mehr genau, welche Modelle das jetzt alles waren) fand ich gut. Hatte ich auch in die engere Wahl gezogen, bis ich die Neumänner gehört habe...

Was mir beim Auspacken sofort auffiel, war das gefräste Aluminiumgehäuse. Schön schwer und schwingt nicht (wie z.B. Holz oder Holzverbundmaterialien wie MDF oder Pressspan). Beim Hören dann das nächste Aha: Für die kleinen Dinger wirklich gute und saubere Bässe, hätte ich denen echt nicht zugetraut. Und was noch viel interessanter war, die Musik schien nicht an den Speakern zu kleben. Alles löste sich schön im Raum auf. Sowas kannte ich bisher nur von Geithainern oder Klein und Hummel. (Anmerkung am Rande: Das "KH" in der Typenbezeichnung der Neumänner kommt von Klein und Hummel) Du brauchst beim Hören auch nicht so sehr auf die akustisch richtige Haltung deines Kopfes achten. Der sweep spot ist bei den Dingern echt groß. Die Kaufentscheidung war dann nach 2 Minuten klar.

die Musik schien nicht an den Speakern zu kleben. Alles löste sich schön im Raum auf. ... Der sweep spot ist bei den Dingern echt groß. ...

Das ist doch mal 'ne Ansage. Definitiv was ich suche. Bei den Hs-8 klebt der Sound 'in' den Boxen und klingt auch so... KH-120 ist jetzt auf meiner Order-Liste. Ich hoffe dass es da kein "hissing" gibt, wenn die Neumaenner angeschaltet sind und kein Sound anliegt. Das waere definitiv ein K.O. Kriterium. Die HS-8 z.B. sind absolut silent