Had some troubles at rehearsal today...

• Volume wise... Could not hear myself very well, the other guitarrist was using a cheap modeller through the FX return of a JCM900, and I used the Power Head through an Orange PPC412... He was insanely loud, and we often asked him to turn it down. But I wished I heard myself more, don't know what it was, it sounded weird. Played a MBritt Profile, but did not sound so good. Maybe the cab was faulty, I get better results at home with my PPC212... Any tips of what I may ve doing wrong? Cheers

• Yes, CAB was off (globally). Not sure what happened, maybe my cab was positioned in a wrong way. Just played for a while now, and even with levels waaay lower than in the studio, the KPA sounded big, loud and amazing. BEen having a great time with one of MBritt free profiles (Bletchley Bomb, I think this is the name).

• If you are standing near enough on top of your cab you will have trouble hearing it. Cabs are designed to project the sound forward. I discovered this many years ago I used to turn my amp up really loud live so I could hear it, it was only when a friend came to 1 of our gigs and while he came on stage and played a song with my gear I went out front to listen. I was so loud and projected I couldn't believe it. As soon as I walked back on stage and played it wasn't half as loud. So maybe be at your next rehearsal walk around to room see how it sounds.

• Hi,
    I use my power rack through a stock Marshall 4x12, so similar set up to you. The Kemper has many different volume placements within it so you have to take some time getting them all leveled at the right point for you and do it at gig volume...especially as there are two of you playing guitar in a band...Raoul is right, it is about projection and the difference in sound from standing right in front of the cab to standing ten feet away is significant.

These power kempers are loud enough to compete/blow away most 'loud as hell' guitarists if you want it to...mine is unbelievably loud, I'm playing into a 16ohm cab (so effectively 1/2 power 300watts not full power 600watts into 8ohm)

If you havent already, try this... you have 3 main volumes..power amp boost in Output Menu...mines on 10/11...Master volume on front panel, mines on 8 and rig volume (below master) I actually have mine dialed back at -7 or so but obviously you can have this at +10 if you want...you can also increase volume or decrease with the master section out also in Output Menu (page 1 i think??)...so lots of areas within the Kemper to play with volume.

Ultimately its about finding a profile that can stand out against your other guitarist and his sound...if you are both in the same tonal range then it will always be a struggle to separate yourself...the best thing to do...fire the other guitarist! Simple.

Stick with it, it took me a while to dial mine in, I'm still getting there with it but you will get there...dont give up thats the main thing.

• Good advices.
    I'd add that, when you compete with others for the frequency room, some instruments can be just covered. You should better define each of you's sonic space.
    Also, keep in mind that when you play louder our ears are more sensitive to lows and highs. Try and tweak a rig by cutting a good amount of those frequency ranges, and increase the mids: it will sound thin alone and at home volumes, but will certainly cot the mix much more at band level :)

HTH

• Another suggestion if you want to improve projection with a modeler; lower the gain as much as you can stand, and perhaps a bit more (if you have a high gain patch). Depending on the style of music you play, sometimes lots of gain can kill the punch and dynamics of a guitar tone that make it stand out and project in the mix.

But OTOH the Kemper has lots of settings that can help with definition and punch, but lowering gain is a good place to start.