Kemper Code To Block Presets

• They can take my profiles but they'll never be able to play them like me! They might actually be able to play a little :D

I can understand if you're running a commercial profiling business but if not, I don't see the issue. I could take a photo of someone's amp and pedalboard to copy the settings, taking a profile is little different.

Having someone mess around with my gear without my permission is another matter. How about some mains voltage to the USB/front panel? 8o

• If you forget your password, simple. You would just do a system reset on your KPA to set the defaults, and get access again. You could then restore your personal profiles/rigs/settings from a back up.

Just curious how you think you might unlock it if you somehow forget your password? send it back to Kemper?

• If I had to wait for several hours before I got on stage to play, and was afraid of someone stealing my Kemper, I would take it with me.

How hard can it be to arrive and just plug in whatever cables were needed back into it ?!

Just have the cables marked for their correct input and output places to and from the Kemper.

• A password on a non-networked device's USB port? That's silly.

1. If someone steals some profiles - so what?!? Is your sound that much of a signature that someone else can't figure out?
    2. If you don't have backups of your stuff, you're just asking for trouble.
    3. If you're worried about the original seller not getting their dues... well... I guarantee they aren't as is.
    4. The only way someone can compromise a Kemper is by hacking into the bootloader or inserting a USB stick with a(n electrical) charge. In the latter case, a password would do nothing. You could override the former if you know what you're doing.

If someone's on stage messing with your equipment, they need to leave the venue and forfeit anything they've stolen, or the police should be called. If this is a common problem in your city/country, then you need to consider that your Kemper and/or your guitar will probably be stolen at some point. If someone had enough time to walk up to your Kemper and screw around with it, they certainly had enough time to unplug it and run out the front door. Keep a closer eye on your gear, and make sure it's insured, and you have a backup (especially if you're touring - if it breaks down or is stolen, a replacement can be brought up to your specs in a matter of minutes with a $5 USB stick). I know it's not easy to be around your gear all the time, but be anal about it. Go check things out every 5-15 minutes. Keep an eye on who's coming in and going out. And if you can't do that, then maybe invest in something like this:

https://www.thetileapp.com/

Connect it up to your phone and you can keep tabs on when things go "out of range."

You could also look into a port lock, if you're really that concerned about your profiles:

http://www.kensington.com/us/u…ith-blockers#.VqE2Ux8rI5k

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• The simple solution would be to power down the KPA, and if you really are worried about it unplug the power cable from the back of the unit. Can't do anything if it's not turned on.

I've played hundreds and hundreds of gigs, including plenty in some rather questionable bars, and we never let anybody near the gear to begin with-there was always at least one band member or trusted friend close by to keep people away from everything.

• securing at a gig is your responsibility not Kemper's.

Responsibility?? It sounds like to say that protect the access to your computer is your responsibility, not Microsoft's, so why Microsoft should provide a password protection for it?

:)

In any case, what kind of noise would create to anyone the presence of an optional PIN to save rigs on usb key???

• Responsibility?? It sounds like to say that protect the access to your computer is your responsibility, not Microsoft's, so why Microsoft should provide a password protection for it?

No, that is faulty logic...

But, since you bring up the comparison, they are similar issues but offer completely different ramifications and levels of value-added for the customer. First, I understand no one wants to let someone to get a free copy of the profiles on their Kemper but as of yet no one has convinced me it would be a viable threat as opposed to someone just stealing the unit itself. So I stand by my statement that is your responsibility to secure your unit because if someone is going to steal something, its going to be the Kemper, not the profiles within.

Second, I don't see much value added of having password protection as a deterrent to a criminal act (a used Kemper is much more valuable than all of the profiles in existence) and can imagine at least a couple of scenarios where a forgotten password or accidental miskey might create a problem that either Kemper will have to provide a backdoor for (highly doubtful as that undermines the whole point), or the user will basically have to do a complete reset of the Kemper. Either way, any recourse available to the owner is also available to a potential thief - they can reset the unit or get support to unlock it in the highly unlikely event Kemper might provide that sort of backdoor service. On the other hand a computer might have much more valuable information on it than both its worth and all the profiles in existence and THAT is worth both password protection and not leaving the computer where someone can get to it.

Look the bottom line is if any of you think its valuable and worth asking for, go for it. On the other hand, don't be surprised that if you present an unusual or unrealistic scenario or feature request that others find questionable, they might question or argue against it. Its not personal. We all love the product and hopefully by talking things through we can all both learn and grow, and give the Kemper team good feedback and ideas for future development.