Show your latest guitar

• The more I delve into it, the less I like the Falcon's crunch/distortion on full chords.

So, after some forum members love here, I've decided on a Duesenberg Starplayer (Mike Campbell)

It just seems to sound good on all settings, on all amps. That's the kind of blues/rock versatility I wanted in a guitar at that price.

• The more I delve into it, the less I like the Falcon's crunch/distortion on full chords.

So, after some forum members love here, I've decided on a Duesenberg Starplayer (Mike Campbell)

It just seems to sound good on all settings, on all amps. That's the kind of blues/rock versatility I wanted in a guitar at that price.

It's a beautiful instrument and sounds very well, judging only on YouTube videos.

Not a metal machine but in blues and rock territory it's gonna be a winner.

Did I mention it looks gorgeous? ;)

Congrats @db9091!

• Well I got the guitar today, but, frankly, I'm shocked.

I hear only good things about Deusenberg guitars, so this was rather, well, shocking.
    The action was awesome, the Brigsby was superb, tuners so smooth and high ratio, and what sound I did get out of it was really nice, ballsy rock, crisp clear. But...

1) The electronics were defective. Pickup only chose 2 sound, not three, the Middle and Neck being the same. Never seen that before.
    2) The Pickup holder (black plastic) was missing a screw. Did the person fall asleep on the assembly line?
    3) The Nickel Pickguard had stains on the edge like someone dripped something on it (but it is permanent, won't rub out)
    4) The binding clear coat had a 1mm bubble on the edge, rather prominent.
    5) The blue paint was all over non-blue parts on the binding in like a dozen places, like a really sloppy paint/binding job. And it was under clear coat, so you can't scratch it off.
    6) One area had a small chip of paint (1mm) where the paint was put on too rough and probably didn't set right and rubbed off when the frets were dressed.
    7) White paint was past the edge of the guitar onto the binding where the binding was scarred before painting occurred.

I've had a Korean made Parker PM20 Pro and an Indonesian Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet who's binding, paint jobs, etc were impeccable. AND they had all their screws. Both about $600-700. So, I expect a >$3,000 guitar to be impeccable.

I'm never like a rich lawyer/accountant about guitars, but come one.

But... Maybe I got a lemon? So I'm asking to swap for the other the guy has in stock, and we'll ckeck that one out.

I did send all these concerns AND pictures to Duesenberg telling them it was a very sloppy job and frankly, beneath them. They sent the email to the store. That's OK, but... It's a manufacturing problem, no?

Anyways, Jury Still Out, but I'm bewildered and WANTING to love this type of guitar, maybe just not THIS one, haha.

Anyone else out there who owns a Duesenberg have sloppy painting, scarred trim, rough dressing, missing screws, broke electronics?

• Well, that's quite unusual for 3 grand guitar made in USA I guess? From pics this guitar looked gorgeous and sounded like rock machine.

• I've owned probably 30 guitars in the past 15 years and none had the finish issues this one had, not even a Fender Squire.
    The charge against Duesenberg is they get some work done in Korea. I've heard that the company said it only gets certain parts made there.
    Whatever the truth, this guitar makes you suspect the gossip is true and THAT is not good PR! Which is why I emailed the company directly and asked.

I didn't hear the middle selection, but assuming the single pickups were true despite the electronics situation, they WERE very nice sounding!

The seller sent me a return slip and is sending out his 2nd one in stock right away (he only has 2) so I should have it early next week.

Part of me was bummed. Part of me wanted to say "to Hell with Duesenberg" but... Part of me, the wise part, knows that problems happen.
    Especially to lefties who can't try-before-we-buy.

Eric Clapton said he always picked guitars with worn finger boards. Those were someone's "keeper" so they didn't suck. (quality control was terrible in the 60's)
    He knew getting new was a risk.

And, who was it, Buddy Guy? Who was asked "how do you get the Blues" and he replied "Live long enough, you'll get them!"

So, live long enough, this stuff happens. gotta roll with it. I haven't given up on Duesenberg. I'm gonna put my nose to the grind and WILL my Dream Guitar into existence, haha

• Probably you just had a bad luck, really extreme case for a guitar of that range.

Nothing wrong with Korean guitars, though. I've got Chapman ML-1 made in the same factory as many many more medium range guitars and it plays great. Very versatile pickup combination, neck feels just of perfect size.

To be honest I had similar "first time experience" - woowww it looks great but after a while I spotted ----> strings out of pole pieces <---- I contacted Thomann and they organized exchange very quickly. I waited 2 weeks in total for new guitar, but new one was just perfect. Except G string (I don't mean moderator) - G strings in every guitar that I have simply go out of tune THE BEST THEY CAN.

Let's hope it was just terrible extreme rare cases, when you pick lovely guitar and it comes less than moderate to say at least.

Maybe if you get 2nd one without any glitches, you will be happy even more, so much that you'll record some unboxing & demo ;)

I keep fingers crossed!

• Thanks for that! I needed it. You're one of the good ones, skoczy!

Well, I don't think folks wanna see a 49 year old man act like a giddy 9 year old girl.
    Best to let me compose myself, get my pipe, slippers, corduroy elbow patched professors jacket,
    then sit in my sofa chair, light a fire and wax nostalgic about the Starplayer's many scientific advantages, Art Deco Mom, and Shelby Cobra Dad.

The seller (nice guy) said the one that wow'd them was the floor model and he figured "I'll send him the new one in the back",
    so he didn't scrutinize it as much as a one-off guitar in stock. Lesson Learned, he said. I'd have done the same thing. We all human.

• Even being monksters :D

I think it's obvious, but age is just a number. You define how old are you.

Back to the topic - I'm sure it was an accident. You wanted this guitar good and it shall come soon.

• The story reminds me of when i paid 3+K for the left handed Gibson Standard
    Get it home 3000 grand guitar like db9091 and the dam thing wont stay in tune.

I find out later it is a manufacturing fault, the angles which the G and D string go from the nut
    inherently make Gibson's go out of tune.PRS guitars fix that issue btw look at their head stock and G and D strings.

My point being like db9091's its a manufacturing fault and they should of addressed it by now.
    3 grand for a guitar like that , i would want some thing extra or done about that.
    Gibson refuse to correct this BTW.

Sorry to hear that db9091 i would be asking for a full refund and new guitar.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• There are plenty of resources online that show you how to simply file the nut to keep it from pinching, but when you spend $3k on a guitar, you expect it to stay in tune without having to do minor surgery.

I grew up playing Les Paul's and it's the guitar that feels most natural to me (even though I play EBMM Axis guitars now), but Gibson infuriates me. I have no idea with all their flaws and QC nightmares how they still get away with selling guitars for an arm and a half. Well, I know it's the brand and history they're selling and people have shown to pay a premium for that. Still, for years the Les Paul Customs were $1k more whose only discernible difference that most could make out is that it had binding all around the body.

• Yep high end price but high end guitar? Hmmm. (nope)
    Why dont they fix this issue ? THAT is what pee's me off.
    i know Gbson are aware of it.

its even in googles auto correct, "Gibson out of tune"
    (thats how many people have experienced it)

Yes clean the nut really good with a guitar lube, ,Put that or something
    similar in the nut slots and saddle slots every time you change a string
    and you will notice your guitar staying in tune much better.

But its still goes out...3 grand? kiss my kemper (ass)
    Otherwise i have to get an ever tune on there
    have seen some LP's with one (does not effect the intonation)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• My weapon against G-String issues ;)
    Roller nut.JPG

LSR Roller nut. I have them on a few of my USACG conversion necks. I agree, they are awesome. :thumbup:

Alas, these are all back in storage now. I went through a phase where I retrofitted my Fender YJM strats with 24.75" scale length USACG conversion necks (which I also had professionally scalloped). Beautiful necks, by the way. I installed the LSR nut myself, along with Schaller locking tuners, and a 4-machine bolt neck anchoring system. However, I eventually realized I preferred my YJMs with their original 25.5" scale length necks, and put them back on and have never looked back. A shame, really, because those USACG necks are awesome, and I spent a pretty penny, all told, on the necks themselves as well as the scalloping service. Oh well. They might come in handy again one day. Maybe I should buy a couple of cheap Fender Mexican Strat bodies, and install the USACG necks, then sell them off. Someone out there must want a killer scalloped strat with a shorter (Gibson) scale length.

• I'm a rookie that starting playing at 35 and now, 4 years later, haven't advanced that much since I have a small kid and only manage to turn on my KPA after 10pm, but I'm trying to turn it on every night and I'm enthusiastic about Kemper and guitars. I bought on the SH market a Strat Custom Shop from 2001 and a PRS McCarty 2 (which is lovely even without batteries and because it was a commercial flop you can get it for a decent price). I'm very happy with the sonic range I get from those two combined with the Kemper, the only barrier for progress being my free time :)

• I'm a rookie that starting playing at 35 and now, 4 years later, haven't advanced that much since I have a small kid and only manage to turn on my KPA after 10pm, but I'm trying to turn it on every night and I'm enthusiastic about Kemper and guitars. I bought on the SH market a Strat Custom Shop from 2001 and a PRS McCarty 2 (which is lovely even without batteries and because it was a commercial flop you can get it for a decent price). I'm very happy with the sonic range I get from those two combined with the Kemper, the only barrier for progress being my free time :)

I was on the same boat @calin_turcu when I bought mine Profiler. Good thing is your kid since youngest years will be surrounded by music and instruments what will be really beneficial to his/hers development ;) No doubt about that!

• Harry and tritium thank you so much, that may have saved my LP from the dreaded evertune hack saw :)
    Ill try!! :)

Thanks for posting that too Momentomori at least i know if all fails i can fall back on that :)
    Shame to hack up a LP like that but i c ant stand that G string man.
    I play not even one song and its out of tune !!

GIBSON KISS MY LSR Roller ...

NUTZ!!!

Ash