Show your latest guitar

• I cut my bass teeth on a '73 Precision during my teens.

The problem for me was that I couldn't pull the tones I was hearing on all my favourite fusion records. I couldn't play the fusion (and still can't), but that's besides the point. There was that growling, deep tone I just couldn't extract from the Precision. Then there was that fat, silky-highed, semi-compressed slap-and-pop sound I heard from Gibson basses that I so desired but had no hope of achieving on the P bass. Whenever I played someone else's Warwick, Gibson or whatever I slapped an order of magnitude better 'cause of the sound.

Anyway, no sooner had I sold the P bass and bought a crappy, thin-and-bright Ibanez (all I could afford after letting the Fender go for a steal), than I heard Quincy Jones' Roots soundtrack. I bought the cassette cheaply, and oh man, there was the P bass in all its glory, it's semi-dead-but-distinct woody tone fitting the mood, production and genres perfectly. Only then did I appreciate the model.

These days, I'd still take a Jazz over a Precision any day, 'cause at least that deep, growling attitude can be extracted from it, which IMHO is more-suited to most modern styles, but my preference has been Music Man Stingray for quite some time. I think it must be the sheer power and fidelity of the PU's on these things - seriously-awesome.

All this said, my response was prompted by the fact that you've got a J-Bass bridge PU on that thing, db. That, IMHO, should in theory give you the best of both Fender worlds. Fantastic! 8o

• I could never get a jazz bass to work for me, and I've tried a bunch. I finally quit trying after buying my friend's dad's '61 Jazz that he bought as a teenager in 1963. If that didn't do it for me, no jazz ever would. "Deep and growly" is the signature P-Bass sound imho, not the JB. I could never get deep from a J, I've always found them anemic. Of course they do have that punchy funky boingy thing going on that the P doesn't do, but that's not my bag baby.

I put a pair of my DIY Thunderbird pickups in my last remaining JB (a MIJ Geddy Lee) and it's never sounded better to me.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• I liked both the Precision and the Jazz and knew they made a P-J bass in the 70's. FInding a Lefty would take forever.

The thing about this bass is that the Jazz is further back toward the bridge, giving it more treble to blend in.

The Bridge is a Badass II which reuse the same 5 screws.

The Jazz can't get that deep growl because it's a straight across pickup in the "neck" position while the Precision has a more neck-ward pup for it's E, A strings = more bass.

Part of me has a hard time parting with my Rick. It looks great. It plays great. It does have a growl unlike any other bass. But I'm following a hunch. If the grass isn't greener, and I feel like going back to a Rick, I'll at least buy a Lefty this time.

I like the Stingray, but it's a much more modern bass, and excels at slapping, which isn't what I do. I'm a cross between Classic Rock and 60s Motown in the style I like to play. Sometimes I get a bit McCartney busy, and that's where the treble helps, flat wounds, and a bit of foam under the bridge to keep the sustain down and more "thumpy".

Look at that, sounds like I'm a real bass player, but I'm not. I dabble for my demos. I admire great players tho. Was sad to see Squire go. Saw him in concert and he stole the stage IMO back in 1990.

• Yikes, that's the most-awesome art (I know it's a picture) I've seen on the rear of a guitar, Justin!

"Deep and growly" is the signature P-Bass sound imho, not the JB. I could never get deep from a J, I've always found them anemic. Of course they do have that punchy funky boingy thing going on that the P doesn't do, but that's not my bag baby.

Funny. I found the opposite, Klapster. The P-Bass' bottom end was always tubby for me, and I switched PUs between the stocks, EMGs and Ibanez Blazers. Maybe I just used the wrong PUs.

Also, I listen to a lot of J-Pop, and I can tell you that the J-Bass reigns supreme in the rock, pop, idol (all genres, really, even disco) and fusion areas. Deep and growly is par for the course in these examples. Maybe it's the models they use or the PUs? Dunno.

The Bridge is a Badass II which reuse the same 5 screws.

Exactly the one I used, db! Swapped it out for the stock one before selling the P-Bass, and still have it in a drawer.

• Yikes, that's the most-awesome art (I know it's a picture) I've seen on the rear of a guitar, Justin!

Its not a picture its a painting by an artist. Cant remember his name. Check out Knaggs guitars. Its their "Galaxy" finish. Its usually put on the front of the guitar. No two are alike.

• That's impressive.

I used to download the NASA "Pic of the Day" pics every day, focussing on nebulas and other colourful ones such as x / gamma-ray shots. The colouring is so spot-on it fooled me!

Awesome, man. I'll bet you get to see some surprised faces when you flip the guitar around to reveal what lies behind.

• You know what.....we all experience HIGH END electric guitars.....
    how many of us have actually experienced HIGH END acoustic guitars??
    (whoopsy)

mate i just tried a high end MATON guitar...made my LP look like shit.
    just saying.

ACOUSTIC GUITARS ARE UNEXPLORED.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• It's just a different tool, imo. An electric will never sound like an acoustic. And acoustics can't really compete with electrics in other areas.

I don't own any acoustics, if I can sell some of my gear, I'll try to earmark my funds for one. Probably won't be high end though.

• Ash is right, in my case at least. Not enough love or priority in spending is given to them; I've never bought one.

For me it's about budget and practical means of recording. For these reasons, I'll be using the models on the Variax. No need for mic'ing anything up, so huge gains in consistency are to be had too.

• Never heard of Maton guitars. Something new to explore.

I have a Gibson SJ200 60's reissue and a Martin D35 Brazilian acoustics and both hit it out of the park for me. It did take a long time to find the right ones though .

• Such a beautiful vintage guitar!

But don't leave the country with it. Rosewood AND Mother-of-Pearl inlay? Can you say "Confiscation"?

Seriously though, really nice snag. You must be quite proud!