Show your latest guitar

• Trifecta of rock right there mate!

• Trifecta of rock right there mate!

Yeah, they cover the bases nicely. However, the fourth horseman is a Tele, at least in the studio. I realize I'm terribly late to the party but after decades of love for Strats I'm only now coming around to what they can do for me in a rock context.

I have a new American Tele that was a Texas Special model. I took a chance ordering it new. Didn't work out as well as the G&L. Teles are bright to begin with but those Texas Special pups will take your head right off. I replaced them with a set of the new low noise ones that tamed it a bit, so the tone is fine now but I'm just having a hard time bonding with the guitar.

It's a beautiful blue body, satin rosewood neck, sounds great, but for some reason I just don't love it (it's not me, honey, it's you, honest). I far prefer playing the cheap Chinese tele, but the tuners are junk and the pups are lifeless. I originally bought it as a burner to practice choreography with so I wouldn't trash a guitar I actually cared about if I crash landed.

I think when the world gets closer to normal again I'll probably sell both and hit the used guitar stores until I find a Tele that I bond with. Then I'll have the fourth horseman. The only problem will be a stand that holds four guitars instead of three. Plus, you know, all that sibling rivalry stuff.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I want a PRS Tele.

Pick your fav famous Tele player, and let Paul do with it what he did for the JM Silver Sky.

Instant success.

• The one with the carved eagle is a beauty, mate! She looks stunning!

• Kahuna59 Curious about your 79 Strat. The first electric I learned to play on was my dad's 79 which now belongs to my brother. It is a hardtail in natural finish. Very heavy compared to the other strats I have owned and the neck was very narrow but thick which I now can't stand. Curious if all 79's were built with that neck and the very heavy wood? Love the large headstocks on those!

• Kahuna59 Curious about your 79 Strat. The first electric I learned to play on was my dad's 79 which now belongs to my brother. It is a hardtail in natural finish. Very heavy compared to the other strats I have owned and the neck was very narrow but thick which I now can't stand. Curious if all 79's were built with that neck and the very heavy wood? Love the large headstocks on those!

Southdakota, I'm a bit of an oddball in that I actually prefer a heftier guitar. This one weighs 9.7 lb. The neck seems thin to me, it's 1.62" wide at the nut and 2.02" at the twelfth. about 0.86 thick at the first and 0.96 at the twelfth. Part of the reason I sold my PRS Santana is it seemed too light. I know, kind of bucks the trend. So far my back is still holding up!

My recollection of the 70s Strats (admittedly it's been a while, and I've slept since then) is that they were all over the place in terms of necks, bodies, quality, etc. One in particular was a body as heavy as my G&L (far heavier than my 89 Strat), and it had a thick neck as you mentioned. The neck was blonde, unstable as hell and far more prone to temperature shifts than any guitar I've ever owned. I'm sure there's a blonde joke in there somewhere.

There were also some 70s Strats that I liked, but I was always swapping guitars (I could only afford to own one). The 89 is better than any of the 70s ones I owned, but there was such a wide variance in quality that I'm sure there were 70s ones out there that I would have loved had I bumped into them.

• dmatthews, I was really, really impressed by the PRS guitars in your collection and even more so by the fact that you seem to be hoarding them like nobody's business, so you convinced me to get one for myself and see what the fuss is about!

I just managed to win an auction for a PRS McCarty with a 10 Top, and I'm now praying that it will reach me safe and sound! Here's some more PRS "pron", guys. I'm currently travelling so these are from the seller! Expect more when I get my hands on it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't attract any unwanted rada cast at me by some villainous bocor priest/juju man for being uber-excited before the axe is in my hands (though que sera sera, karma is a bitch haha)

Probably going to swap the pups out for something non-vintage haha! Reminds me of that Meatloaf skit. "Son! That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!"

• Nice. What mind of money is that?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Dayum dude!!! Way to make an entrance!

Play those 5708 pups for a while before you consider swapping them. Make sure... and DON'T sell them. They are in demand.

Gorgeous!

Play those 5708 pups for a while before you consider swapping them. Make sure... and DON'T sell them. They are in demand.

Gorgeous!

Yup, that's the plan. Play with the guitar and see what I can do with my other gear before swapping out anything. And thanks for the tip on the pups, I'll hold on to them!

• My recollection of the 70s Strats (admittedly it's been a while, and I've slept since then) is that they were all over the place in terms of necks, bodies, quality, etc. One in particular was a body as heavy as my G&L (far heavier than my 89 Strat), and it had a thick neck as you mentioned.

Yes, and it has the notorious 3-screw neck with the micro neck adjustment that many complained about. I haven't had any issues though. Sometimes you get lucky.

Gorgeous!

Agreed on both fronts. Spectacular guitar! Also, I've been afraid to change even the pup covers on the McCarty because the thing is just magic, and I don't know the magic works. Sometimes everything just comes together in a single package. Hope it's the same experience for nightlight.

Yes, and it has the notorious 3-screw neck with the micro neck adjustment that many complained about. I haven't had any issues though. Sometimes you get lucky.

Yeah, the G&L has the 3 bolt / micro thing, but it's been a rock-solid rocker since the day it landed. I'll take good luck anytime I can get it.