Show your latest guitar

• ?????

Repent ye spawn of satin ?

In some cases P90 are even hotter than HB but less muddy. They definitely ain’t no Strat pups that for sure ?

I know Dc Resistance isn’t an accurate guide to how hot a pup is but it gives a very rough indication of the general ballpark. Strats are around 6k (ish), Vintage PAF around 7 - 8k (ish), P90 around 7- 8k (ish) but Bareknuckles make one at 14.5k and another 21k ?

Yikes. How do you keep the speakers from jumping out of the cabs with those things?

Definitely great sounds. As I recall, the pups in Brian's handmade guitar are all single coil as well.

I think when the world gets closer to normal it's time for another trip to Ye Olde Guitar Shoppe.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• 1964 Höfner 175 Brokat ... with 3 original pieces of the amazing "Staple" humbuckers.

Wow, what a unique looking guitar. When you think of Hofner Paul's bass more traditional looking bass comes to mind, but this really gives you a flavor of the 60s.

• Soapbars aside, the guitar that's currently capturing my interest is the PRS Custom 24 with 85/15s. Probably closer to the 2015 era as a) I prefer guitars with some miles on them and b) $4000+ for the new ones makes me twitch. I'm seeing the 2015-ish ones running around $2500, which I can live with. Also blade switch, can't imagine using that rotary thing.

At the moment I'm trying to make sense of the neck options, which appear to be Pattern, Pattern Regular and Pattern Thin as I'm thinking about rolling the dice on something off of Reverb if my local guy doesn't have anything.

From what I understand, my 2001 McCarty has the Wide Fat Neck, which is comfortable enough. I come from a long line of Strats, so Fender style necks are also comfortable. Back in the day we used to refer to many Gibson necks as baseball bats (with the exception of SGs, which were my main squeeze before I defected to Strats) and I don't care for the clubby kind of neck at all.

Any of you PRS devotees willing to draw some comparisons that I could relate to on the three Custom 24 neck options? I promise to sacrifice a virgin unicorn in Paul's honor if I end up buying one.

• The McCarty wide/fat will be closer to Pattern/Pattern regular. Pattern thin is my least fav, that's what's on my Mira. Totally playable but not my fav. Here's some visuals...

Perfect, just the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

Say, since you're in a helpful mood, any advice on where I can find a virgin unicorn?

I'm with dmatthews I can't get on with wide thin personally. Most CU24 are Wide Thin (in fact I think that's a they do in recent years which is why I have no inttin them). Wide Fat will be close to your McCarty

. I love that profile but also love the Pattern Regular.

I know the McCarty is comfortable, so I would imagine regular would be fine. However, if they only come in thin I'll just have to play them. That's naturally the preference anyway, but shopping for a used instrument is a hit or miss adventure. If I knew how the necks felt I would be comfortable ordering a new one from the factory given PRS consistency, but I just can't bring myself to spend four grand on a guitar.

I figure I've got about 2500 tied up in the Les Paul and Tele (the two guitars that I can't seem to bond with), so selling them is how I'm talking myself into the 24. Based on the flexibility and how the 85/15s sound in videos, the 24 seems like a guitar I could play all night and cover all the bases, which is why I always preferred hot rodded Strats. I hate fooling with guitar changes in the middle of a set. I've been tempted to try it with the McCarty but even with the coil split it just doesn't get me deep enough into Fender territory.

• This one's been "played" for sure...

Paul Reed Smith(PRS) Custom24 Black Gold Burst Pattern Regular Neck 2013 | eBay

• Chris CU24 definitely do come in other neck profiles its just that most people seem to buy them with Pattern Thin/Wide Thin so in recent years they have made that the only option for some reason. Bear in mind that Thin in PRS speak isn’t super thin like Jackson or Ibanez. Also Wide isn’t that wide either. None of their necks are extreme and even Wide Fat/Pattern isn’t anything like a chunky Gibson. The fatest necks they do are the Santana and Pattern Vintage (on the McCarty 594)

the 85/15 PUPs come in more than just the CU24. CU22 is the same guitar with a 22 fret neck.they are easier to find with the other neck profiles.

• Yeah, didn't get a chance to see it before it disappeared.

I know a lot of guys actually pay for "relic'd" guitars but I've found, to my surprise, that I actually like my guitars to be pretty. (Also, pre-faded Levis have no soul.) However, PRS guys seem to be more fussy than most about taking care of their toys, so I'm optimistic.

Chris CU24 definitely do come in other neck profiles its just that most people seem to buy them with Pattern Thin/Wide Thin so in recent years they have made that the only option for some reason. Bear in mind that Thin in PRS speak isn’t super thin like Jackson or Ibanez. Also Wide isn’t that wide either. None of their necks are extreme and even Wide Fat/Pattern isn’t anything like a chunky Gibson. The fatest necks they do are the Santana and Pattern Vintage (on the McCarty 594)

the 85/15 PUPs come in more than just the CU24. CU22 is the same guitar with a 22 fret neck.they are easier to find with the other neck profiles.

The McCarty has a "wide fat neck" that I find neither wide nor fat (and I'm a Fender guy), so I know what you mean. CU22s could be a fit as well. I'm not that concerned about the extra two frets, I just wasn't sure if they were the same guitars otherwise. What I like about the CU is all the various single & humbucking options. Might even go for a CU 24-08 as the toggle switches give the ultimate flexibility, but honestly I think the blade switch combinations would probably be fine. From what I've listened to it seems to get into sufficient Fender turf.

That is, if I can find a used one around here. My local guy doesn't have any CUs at the moment. I'm in the country north of Atlanta (literally one mile either direction from a horse farm and a herd of cattle, with a herd of goats two miles down a different road) and with the virus thing haven't felt like driving to civilization for the bigger stores.

I clearly have the itch for it, but I need to play one before even consider rolling the dice online.

• Chris Duncan  dmatthews  Wheresthedug

For some deep dive on neck profiles:

https://mooreguitars.com/prs-neck-carves

https://www.prsguitars.com/ind…ort/article/neck_profiles

I'm sure I've had all the variants over time. I remember noticing the differences, but all were wonderful to play. I noticed it more today because of the discussion here. Things like scale length, neck profile, fingerboard radius don't matter much to me as I switch back and forth between guitars. The exception is when I pick up the Gibson Chet Atkins CEC with the nylon strings, 2" nut, and flat fingerboard radius.

But after a couple of minutes, even this outlier feels like an old friend.

There was an article in a guitar magazine when Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler released their album Neck and Neck.

The interviewer asked Mark Knopfler what guitar he used on the album. If I remember correctly, he replied, "I don't know, just some old thing Chet had lying around."

• My latest creation:

'94 USA body

'13 USA neck (like new)

Seymour Duncan stacked P90's

Fender mega switch

Left hand pots

Fender trem with pop in arm

Just put it together today (wiring a mega switch is not fun), never owned a P90 guitar before so thought I'd do something different with the body and neck that I picked up (well I thought I was being different before Fender released all their P90 Strats and Teles this year).

Wiring is:

Bridge series

Bridge parallel

Bridge/neck parallel

Neck series

Neck parallel

Parallel wiring gives the traditional P90 sound without the hum, series gets closer to a humbucker sound. I did have to rout the pick up cavity about 2 or 3mm to get these pickups sitting nicely if anyone else decides to fit these pickups in a strat, they're huge!

Haven't had much of a chance to play it yet but definitely liking the different flavours I'm getting out of this, it definitely sounds different to everything else I own. Not a fan of the black, there's a few scuffs in the paint that would likely polish out, but I think I'll have the body resprayed seafoam green, I was just going to see if I bonded with it first but I'm guessing this will be my go to guitar for a while

• Chris CU24 definitely do come in other neck profiles its just that most people seem to buy them with Pattern Thin/Wide Thin so in recent years they have made that the only option for some reason. Bear in mind that Thin in PRS speak isn’t super thin like Jackson or Ibanez.

I'm certain that I must be having a flashback from all the dubious substances I consumed in the 70s to spend this kind of money on a guitar, but I decided to roll the dice on a new CU24.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PAU35CU2410?sid=270779

It has the pattern thin neck which I haven't played and for that matter I've never even been in the same room with a CU24, so it's very much a leap of faith based on videos, the good experience I'm having with the McCarty, and my enabling friends here who report consistent quality. I have a 45 day return policy, so if I don't love it I'm out the return shipping, but figure it's worth the risk.

Talked to Sweetwater but they're out of stock on most of them. They said PRS got really behind due to the virus thing and they're anticipating new stock in the summer. When I found the exact same guitar / color / etc. that I'd been looking at and it was actually in stock on Zzounds, I figured it must be a sign (this is how we justify). Plus, Uncle Sam was kind enough to buy the guitar for me, so there's that.

Honestly, I could live without all the 35th anniversary / collector's edition bling. It just happened to be the guitar I wanted. Technically it's a 24-08 configuration with two coil splitter switches, and I like that flexibility. Bridge saddles are some kind of gold plating which is also a concern as that sort of thing eventually wears, but hopefully it won't be an issue. Supposed to be here Friday, so should be an interesting weekend.

You guys are a bad influence. :)

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Man, what a cool guitar. We were just talking about P90s and it never would have occurred to me to do a Strat with that configuration. I think you should do a video with some A/B between a stock Strat single coil and this baby. As a lifelong Strat fanboy I'd love to hear the differences in a context I'm familiar with.

• Boo Yeah! Welcome to the deep end of the pool!

Super nice indeed.

You'll def feel the difference in the neck compared to the McCarty, but I cut my teeth on Wide/fat and then played Wide/thin for years. Lucky for you that you can return if you don't bond.

That's gonna be one heckuva versatile beauty!8)

• Boo Yeah! Welcome to the deep end of the pool!

Super nice indeed.

You'll def feel the difference in the neck compared to the McCarty, but I cut my teeth on Wide/fat and then played Wide/thin for years. Lucky for you that you can return if you don't bond.

That's gonna be one heckuva versatile beauty!8)

Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I went off the deep end. :)

Having been a Strat guy for so long I'm not terribly concerned about the thin neck. I don't expect it to feel Fender-like, but it may well feel more familiar to me than the McCarty.

Yeah, versatility was the tipping point. Now that I'm back to playing in a band context again I really wanted a single guitar that I could play all night with minimal compromise. My hot rodded Strats obviously did Fender territory well, and the Seymour Duncan humbuckers gave me plenty of crunch for the Marshall on 11 thing, but I think the CU24 may exceed the tonal range I was getting out of the Strats in both directions.

I just hope I can find a virgin unicorn before Paul realizes I've taken delivery...

• Hey, Chris!

I'm certain that I must be having a flashback from all the dubious substances I consumed in the 70s to spend this kind of money on a guitar, but I decided to roll the dice on a new CU24.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PAU35CU2410?sid=270779

I gasped when I followed the link. Are you getting the aquamarine?

Here's the story of the bird inlays.