Show your latest guitar

• I had a late 70s Strat when I was on the road back in the day. Thing felt like a Les Paul hanging off my shoulder. Like this, it was a maple neck, and if ever there was a poster child for the stereotype of crappy 70s Fenders, this was it. The most unstable neck I've ever had in my life. You even looked at it the wrong way and it went out of tune.

I completely agree. I mean, if you're interested in maintaining "vintage" value, refinishing a guitar does bad things to your sale price. If you want to keep it, then I'd modify it extensively, starting with a leather grip wrapped around the first five frets to make it easier to wield in battle as the blunt instrument that it is.

The things starting to grow on me, I think I can appreciate it for the overweight uncouth brute that it is. The neck feels solid, I got the trem floating straight away and have barely tuned it since.

I'm going to refinish it and keep it, at least it will make my Les Pauls feel like featherweights.

The way I've described it to my non guitar playing friends is that if you were to hit a home invader with it, they're not getting up ?

• The way I've described it to my non guitar playing friends is that if you were to hit a home invader with it, they're not getting up ?

Yeah, given some of the bars I've played that was definitely a plus.

Good call on keeping it. While I know there are many perspectives, to me I really don't care about the vintage value of stuff. It's all about whether I bond with it or not. Especially being one of those freaky alternate-hand kinda people, I think if you find a lefty that has potential you should tailor it to your personal needs, vintage value be damned.

As they say, "Starkist doesn't want tuna with good taste. Starkist wants tuna that tastes good." :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• The things starting to grow on me, I think I can appreciate it for the overweight uncouth brute that it is. The neck feels solid, I got the trem floating straight away and have barely tuned it since.

I'm going to refinish it and keep it, at least it will make my Les Pauls feel like featherweights.

The way I've described it to my non guitar playing friends is that if you were to hit a home invader with it, they're not getting up ?

If you're going to keep it, then go to town and fix the body contour to your liking. I'm not familiar with Strats - can you get in there with a router and gets some weight-relief?

• I used to own a lefty CBS Strat from 79. Maple neck and sunburst, and rather heavy too. I never bonded with it, really. And the neck was too small and unstable. If you find one you do like and want to keep and PLAY, then upgrade it as you think fit, otherwise do not touch much and think of it as investment. A right handed friend of mine wanted to but it from me to play it Hendrix-style! I sold it later, or rather exchanged it, to get another Strat, so you never know.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• I wrote crank up (means gear cup) not cracks. And you can easily ad a pickup system without violating there guitar.
    I did this with my old Höfner Guitar.
    https://schatten-pickups.mysho…selmer-gypsy-jazz-guitars

Understand. My "cracks" comment refers to the video link you sent where it's stated that most of these guitars end up with cracks over time. Those original 60s strings have enough tension to hold up the Golden gate bridge. No wonder the neck's so chubby. Still, a PU might be a useful mod if I can get the acoustic set-up well enough. So far so good. Thanks for the advice.

• I used to own a lefty CBS Strat from 79. Maple neck and sunburst, and rather heavy too. I never bonded with it, really. And the neck was too small and unstable. If you find one you do like and want to keep and PLAY, then upgrade it as you think fit, otherwise do not touch much and think of it as investment. A right handed friend of mine wanted to but it from me to play it Hendrix-style! I sold it later, or rather exchanged it, to get another Strat, so you never know.

I think I'll be sympathetic to it and just do the refinish, I'm starting to appreciate it's uniqueness. There's no point wishing for it be something it isn't.

I do have to fill a hole from a strap button in the lower horn, may also explain why the nut's been replaced probably more than once. What is it with righties wanting to look like Hendrix in the mirror?

• I need some help here. Should this be my next guitar? :). It's a late 80's.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

it all depends, I had an ibanez jem a decade ago, fine guitar, thin neck, a bit unstable Floyd rose. I changed to schecter for shredding/fast play, but the jem was good nonetheless

The answer is 42

Obviously the answer is YES!

I hate thin necks (PRS wide fat or full on baseball bat for me) and even I would buy that ?

Never had a proper Floyd and have never seen the need for a full locking trem but I would still buy that.

Its a Jem from the ‘80’s and I can actually remember when they came out. A timeless classic. Buy it now I insist ?

• That's a yes from me. I recently put an offer on a Jem myself, my offers were knocked back, the guy's insisting on 8k AUD (he's dreaming). It's still on Reverb with only my 2 offers against it funnily enough. The joys of being left handed

Only ever played one once - it was signed by Vai and Satch and was asked to play surfin on it ...TBH I found it thin sounding, neck crazy thin and floyd not great....BUT would I buy one....totally! Love the look and its so iconic!!!!!

• That settles it. Will contact the seller after Easter. Thanks for the input!

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM