Show your latest guitar

• Not the usual-standard-classic Custom model right? Any story of that one?

Well......I play in a tribute to the Cult and Billy Duffy plays a Les Paul Custom that he copied from Mick Ronson ( David Bowie). Mick took an Ebony Les Paul Custom and had the top stripped of paint, claiming is sounded better - it certainly looks cooler!

I've had an Epiphone version for sometime ( see my avatar) and wanted the genuine article. I was considering getting a an Ebony one and getting it stripped but then I saw this advertised. I was/am nervous its a fake as it was cheap ( £1600) and the serial number didn't tie up ( 6 digits). After some research, this is OK because it apparently Les Pauls in the 70's did have 6 digit codes. I also checked with Gibbo rep and seems ok...

So, I believe its an Ebony Les Paul from circa 76 which at some point someone copied Mick Ronsons, including the control knobs etc... :)

....and it plays and sounds pretty good, so I.m happy..... and sits nice next to The White Falcon :)

• Mick took an Ebony Les Paul Custom and had the top stripped of paint, claiming is sounded better - it certainly looks cooler!

this reminded me of the Les Paul Bill Bartlett (Ram Jam) plays in the "Black Betty" video - it started out as a Gold Top, but when the finish deteriorated & turned green he removed it and was disappointed to find a very plain piece of wood.
    This is of course done on purpose, if the wood doesn't look nice, it gets a opaque coat of paint - conversely, nobody would hide a beautiful maple top under paint (simply because it increases the guitars worth).

this is not directed at you V8guitar ;) I just noticed a few people here and there stripping paint from guitars and being suprised by what they found. (80's Yamaha SG owner here - I removed the clown burst and gave it an oil & was finish 30 years ago - plain but beautiful and it sounds just wonderful.)

One last thing, figured maple has no tonal advantage over plain maple - the exception being Birdseye maple (it's not really just a look, it's very dense knots in the wood), that actually can create dead spots on the fretboard, but that's more likely/pronounced on basses.

• this reminded me of the Les Paul Bill Bartlett (Ram Jam) plays in the "Black Betty" video - it started out as a Gold Top, but when the finish deteriorated & turned green he removed it and was disappointed to find a very plain piece of wood.
    This is of course done on purpose, if the wood doesn't look nice, it gets a opaque coat of paint - conversely, nobody would hide a beautiful maple top under paint (simply because it increases the guitars worth).

this is not directed at you V8guitar ;) I just noticed a few people here and there stripping paint from guitars and being suprised by what they found. (80's Yamaha SG owner here - I removed the clown burst and gave it an oil & was finish 30 years ago - plain but beautiful and it sounds just wonderful.)

One last thing, figured maple has no tonal advantage over plain maple - the exception being Birdseye maple (it's not really just a look, it's very dense knots in the wood), that actually can create dead spots on the fretboard, but that's more likely/pronounced on basses.

I didn;t know that about Bill!

This was the main risk with stripping a Les Paul - what is underneath...very expensive mistake possibly. I have no interest in stripping guitars in general, only needed

BTW I'm also an SG owner ( SG1500), I love it. I've put EMG's in it and removed the pickguard but wouldn't strip it though ;)

• New arrival last week. After a bit of TLC adjusting the truss rod and setting the trem correctly then tweaking action and intonation it is playing like a dream. Some uneven frets so will level and dress them next time I change strings to get it absolutely tip top.

This is quite probably THE most comfortable neck I have EVER played. It is just amazing!!!

Tone for days too.

• New arrival last week. After a bit of TLC adjusting the truss rod and setting the trem correctly then tweaking action and intonation it is playing like a dream. Some uneven frets so will level and dress them next time I change strings to get it absolutely tip top.

This is quite probably THE most comfortable neck I have EVER played. It is just amazing!!!

Tone for days too.

I think the musicman guitars are so underated. I have been on the look out for a Purple axis for years. I have a Sterling version which is pretty good, but having played an axis, you can tell the difference.

Good choice my friend!

• Absolutely!

The Axis is lovely and purple is always a good choice ?

I have set up the trem on the Luke to factory spec with a minor 3rd upward bend in the G string. It stays in tune as well as anything I have tried. At least as good as the PRS or Parker Fly terms.

Still trying to get used to the 4+2 headstock. Keep tuning the B string when I mean to adjust the G ??‍♂️ but I really like it visually so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

• Picked this beauty up for around $500 usd in excellent condition ! Gibson Tribute goldtop 2017T. Even came with all documentation and gig bag. Rarely is it a benefit to be a lefty but the guy could not move this due to it being a lefty and 2hrs away from any large population. Luckily I had to go there for work and snagged it.

• Picked this beauty up for around $500 usd in excellent condition ! Gibson Tribute goldtop 2017T. Even came with all documentation and gig bag. Rarely is it a benefit to be a lefty but the guy could not move this due to it being a lefty and 2hrs away from any large population. Luckily I had to go there for work and snagged it.

If you want to get rid of it, just say it :D

Really pretty guitar and what a bargain! I'm kind of jealous right now...