Show your latest guitar

• Not my newest guitar but far and away my favorite. I bought this 1984 Ferrari Red Gibson Explorer new in May 1984. I played it about six years and traded it away. Over the years I really regretted doing so. Thirty one years later it showed up for service in a guitar shop in the town I lived in back then. The shop owner texted me about it and I asked about buying it back. The owner agreed to sell and got my old friend back.

• Not my newest guitar but far and away my favorite. I bought this 1984 Ferrari Red Gibson Explorer new in May 1984. I played it about six years and traded it away. Over the years I really regretted doing so. Thirty one years later it showed up for service in a guitar shop in the town I lived in back then. The shop owner texted me about it and I asked about buying it back. The owner agreed to sell and got my old back.

Nice story, seems to be kind of fate then. The colour is very cool.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Not my newest guitar but far and away my favorite. I bought this 1984 Ferrari Red Gibson Explorer new in May 1984. I played it about six years and traded it away. Over the years I really regretted doing so. Thirty one years later it showed up for service in a guitar shop in the town I lived in back then. The shop owner texted me about it and I asked about buying it back. The owner agreed to sell and got my old friend back.

..and is it as good as you remember?

• ..and is it as good as you remember?

Oh, yeah. I think I traded it away when I went back to playing Les Pauls. It had a recent refret. We put on a new nut, pickups (JB/Jazz), pickup rings, switch, pull-pull volume pots, no load tone pot and a new bridge (original had collapsed). It's like brand new.

• Oh, yeah. I think I traded it away when I went back to playing Les Pauls. It had a recent refret. We put on a new nut, pickups (JB/Jazz), pickup rings, switch, pull-pull volume pots, no load tone pot and a new bridge (original had collapsed). It's like brand new.

I can't imagine how that feels...must be like being reunited with an old family member!

• I've never heard of a tune-o-matic collapsing. Is that a thing? Must have taken some heavy hits.

It's a somewhat common occurrence on guitars with a sharper neck angle and the tailpiece set really low or flush with the body. I've read about it for years but this is the first one I have actually seen. The pic is not of my bridges, just an example of the phenomenon.

• It's a somewhat common occurrence on guitars with a sharper neck angle and the tailpiece set really low or flush with the body. I've read about it for years but this is the first one I have actually seen. The pic is not of my bridges, just an example of the phenomenon.

True. That happened to me once. I had never heard about it.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• It's a somewhat common occurrence on guitars with a sharper neck angle and the tailpiece set really low or flush with the body. I've read about it for years but this is the first one I have actually seen. The pic is not of my bridges, just an example of the phenomenon.

Wow. Looks like a car ran over it.

• I've never heard of a tune-o-matic collapsing. Is that a thing? Must have taken some heavy hits.

The Nashville on my 79 Les Paul Standard is collapsing. You just need to put something known to be completely flat like a FretFriend on the base to see it .
    Had to have the Nashville bridge on one of my 78 Les Paul’s done a couple of years ago too.

• A very low tail piece does not help, and the poles of the bridge often twist or bend a tad toward the headstock. I don't fancy the wrap over the tail method, but keeping the tail a bit too low makes the tensión higher not only for your fretting hand.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Sorry, not my latest guitar but funny as hell and people who know me would not have been surprised at all if I had actually tried this.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Finally brought this home from the college workshop. It was my second year project but I have only just gotten round to setting it up properly.

It is as close to an exact copy of the guitar built for Julian Bream in 1973 by Jose Romanillos which became Bream's main guitar for most of his career. I didn't try and copy Romanillos rosette but other than that I followed his own plans and description in his book as closely as my skill level would allow. I have no doubt the real thing sounds even better but this thing is a beast.

My first classical and first attempt at French Polishing and I made an absolute hash of it. Fortunately it plays great and sounds amazing so I will probably strip it and refinish it eventually but for now I am just enjoying playing it.

A great incentive to actually learn some classical pieces.