Kemper OS 4 - Seamless ToneTravelling

• Excuse me boss but i m not agree with you:

We use the kemper because it s a réal "picture " of the sound (99,9% the same) BUT if you change a parameter, it s the kemper who changes the sound to obtain something different. But the kemper cannot imitate the behaviour of an amp. So we are coming from a 99,9% real sound to an artifical sound (try a clean mesa recto, change the gain from 1 to 10 and the new sound isn't the same that a rig of a mesa with a big gain...)

Morphing is cool if it works with 2 différents rigs, not with one rig.

I honestly don't care if a profile is exactly like the "real thing" throughout the range of the gain and tone controls, all that matters to me is if I can get good sounds out of it.

• Actually in defense of Walrus I pretty rarely touch the controls my on my profiler except to select a rig.

Occasionally I play with the controls on the front but only in the same way I'd play with a channel strip, to do some sound doctoring for a mix rather than to find a new tone to explore. It's not that the Kemper is in any way bad at it's emulation of an amp, if you know how to set up the tone stack appropriately pre/post and understand the limitations (basically you have a couple of LED's travel before the tone strays far away from the source amp) then there is a lot to explore, it just doesn't seem to vary in the same way a real amp does.

By that I mean with a real amp because they're so very non-linear and lets be honest sometimes actually broken there are many combinations of settings that provide "sweet spots", with a Kemper you already have the sweet spot dialed right in with a profile before you even begin, and any changes you make are more surgical than any amp could do, it's just tonal variations around that sweet spot and the most you can do is move away from the sweet spot. So I don't tend to find other sweet spots within a single profile unlike with a real amp which can have many. Given this I don't tend to mess with the amp block settings.

I just think of the Kemper as a different thing and I love it for it, it exchanges complexity vs a real amp in terms of numbers of profiles for having everything always be a sweet spot (which an amp can never do) which is a fair exchange. I'm confident though that one day this will change, lots of guitarists love that exploration aspect, so I'm sure Christoph and his team have lots of ideas for how to improve and overcome things to make the emulation of a real guitar amp and all it's "magic" even more complete.

• Oh, he needs not to be defended! I believe it's quite reasonable to not think that tweaking some knobs misrepresents, so to speak, the Profiler's "real sound".
    Morphing doesn't affect the quality of the Profiler, it just tweaks some knobs for us. If I can turn a knob on a real amp at it remains itself, so does the Profiler IMO :)

• Well you have 3 options really.

You can tweak the "real" sounds with volume, gain, eq. You can tweak the sound shaping FX in the slots. And you can tweak into "not real" sounds that can shape the sound into a new sound.

I think some who claim they won't use this much will be surprised and how much they will use it. Just controlling the gain is something you'd easily want to do, or the reverb.

I think you use features more if they are easy to implement and this is as easy as it gets. The only next step beyond profile morphing is a brain expression pedal to control with your mind.

• As I understood the video of the Namm-show, the morphing process combines two different sounds (or variations) of one single rig. Maybe some parameters are excluded from this process, f.e. the cab-sim.
    So I expect to start from a specific rig sound (on heel position), then dial in a new sound I want to continue the song with (on toe position) and the Profiler controls the "shortest" tweaking-process between these two sounds during the morphing-process.
    I compare this to some Midi-controlled Amps of the past with motor-driven-knobs (I think Yamaha and a few others once offered a kind of these).
    The difference is, that the morphing process now can be controlled by yourself in a manner you decide by yourself (sweep time parameter via Remote-knob or by pressing the pedal by foot). Also programming seems to be at an optimum of simplicity !
    I'm looking forward to getting this feature by next OS-update. The song -where I need the feature - is already composed !

• It depends on how you view the 'knob tweaking on the Kemper takes you away from the real amp' argument.

Personally, I don't care and welcome the extra real time flexibility this gives me.

Yes, profiles are created at different sweet spots on the amp for the very reason that the Kemper gain / eq settings will not exactly replicate the amp. But I think of it this way.....

When you set up a real amp to a sweet spot, it sounds great. If you tweak one of the controls on the amp, it is (of course) authentic but you've gone somewhere that is less good until you hit another sweet spot. And so on. The amp will have many sweet spots. Those places in between? Not so good. Otherwise they too would be a 'sweet spot'

You profile the amp at all those sweet spots. When you tweak any of the gains or eq's on the Kemper, it still sounds good until you go 'too far'. The real amp did not sound good....... So the Kemper is not realistic but arguably better because the real amp didn't play nice between the sweet spots the Kemper captured. The Kemper does play nice in those places.

Thats my positive thoughts on it anyway. I'm also the kind of person who does not wish time away but I am wanting February to get here so I can play with this feature. I think it'll be fabulous.

• The information that came out from the NAMM show was 'February' and it seemed to show that the morphing would be on this update and the delays would be 'later'.

As they were already at the point of being able to show them working, I'm hoping that 'later' isn't too much later. The only long delay I'm hoping for is one that sounds like an tape machine :)