Namm 2016 - Day 1 - New Kemper stuff! with pics

• Stomp delay (with grit and flutter etc) before the amp section ....??!! Oooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    I am indeed a VERY happy man so much so that I am happy to jump out of bed and take my dog for a walk in the pouring rain and howling wind thank Lance and CK for making me and my dogs day :)

Great innt!?!

• The main use in real life was/is to fatten up the sound using certain delay boxes, in other words, use them as a boost/overdrive with zero repeats and very short (<100ms) delay or no delay at all. There are pedals which do just that , EP Booster being one of them. .

Certainly not putting full on delay before distorted amp, because all you will get is uncontrolled mud - effects loop was invented for a very good reason. It works all right if amp is very mildly overdriven.

Pre-amp delay is fantastic or it can be catastrophic. For high gain sounds, an FX loop is certainly the better option. For edge-of-breakup sounds, pre-amp delay does two really nice things:

1. Essentially creates the same sound, but adds the "filter" that is the amp's processing. On a clean or clean-ish amp, this makes your delay sound completely different (less studio-processed and more like a guy plugging into an AC30)
    2. With bigger delays with lots of repeats, it acts something like, as you mentioned, a boost, even with longer delays. You're essentially driving the amp with two (or more) sounds, giving you additional drive from the amp.

Both are good things, but, with a high gain amp, these do, indeed, turn to mush. Personally, I don't play a lot of high gain stuff, but when I do, it's typically during recording, and the delays are often disabled (are either added in post or sent to a pedal via a loop on my interface).

Side note: It's hilarious to see how many people are completely against pre-amp delay. There's been tons of people that have requested it, but, fun story - if you don't want to use it and continue using it in the delay block, you totally can.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• wow amazing !!!! I hope CK will put that much genius in the verb section

any update on the reverbs and the other stomps ?

I just read on FB that ckemper is planning on improved reverbs for later this year. It makes me wonder if the delays are part of a 4.1 release, and the morphing is a 4.0.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Exactly! For me, it's going to mean I get those vintage, slightly more lo-fi sounds without taking my El Capistan everywhere.

aye ..the whole point for me was so I didn't have to carry pedals around ,,,finally I think we're there ...for rockabilly and lofi ...stuff absolutely a must for me is delay before the amp ..before the 80's it was the ONLY way to have delay ..because fx loops and racks etc weren't around . I love the way delay gets spat back through a dirty amp ( even High gain in certain instances ..think Radiohead ..) ....and hey I love the smooth clean trails post amp to ...but I really really wantedthe option ...this really is pretty much I need now ..Spring reverb would be nice ....and I'm happy to see what else CK comes up with it's been pretty damn good up to now ...I'm soooo happy I'm off to do my tax return now tra la LA LA LA ..( see that's how delay sounds before the amp :)

• I just read on FB that ckemper is planning on improved reverbs for later this year. It makes me wonder if the delays are part of a 4.1 release, and the morphing is a 4.0.

Just a guess: namm is the biggest and most important event. I think a demonstration of morphing ist more impressive than a reverb.
    If this is true I can understand the priority of release..

• nice delys!! cant wait to try them!!!
    what about tuner? it looks a lot like a Strobostomp. Is i t possible to set cents to a Buzz Feiten tuning too?? if so it would be optimal for me!!! :)

• as of some days ago I was a bit disappointed because I thought the only improvement was the morphing thing. but wow: this is outstanding!

guess we are aiming for a 4.x FW, right?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• We want videos! Audio! What do the delays sound like, this is the question!

Haha! Me too!! :) I would've captured some audio examples of the delays,but…kinda impossible the way their Namm booth is setup and with all of the loud ambient noise going on around you. Basically they have stations setup with headphones and a guitar, so I was demoing everything through headphones, and ones that didn't really block out a lot of the outside noise. However... I played through all the delays for quite a while and was really impressed. Lot's of fun stuff and wide-moving stereo imaging going on with some of them. They had a number of presets already loaded for each of the new delays. Also there seemed to be a lot of additional parameters added within some of the delays, such as control for: flutter, flutter shape, grit, reverse, modulation… Overall the variety of new delays and sounds seemed not far off from some of the stuff that I can get out of my Strymon and Eventide pedals as well as some delays that I haven't heard from those boxes either. Very exciting times for sure :thumbup:

• I just read on FB that ckemper is planning on improved reverbs for later this year. It makes me wonder if the delays are part of a 4.1 release, and the morphing is a 4.0.

This might need to be emphasised! I think it's all good to take one step after another instead of giving us immature updates.
    From what I've seen now, the 4.0 is a dream come true and it answers some highly requested options.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• The main use in real life was/is to fatten up the sound using certain delay boxes, in other words, use them as a boost/overdrive with zero repeats and very short (<100ms) delay or no delay at all. There are pedals which do just that , EP Booster being one of them. .

Certainly not putting full on delay before amp, because all you will get is uncontrolled mud - effects loop was invented for a very good reason. It works all right if amp is very mildly overdriven.

Umm..

Big issue to be discussed in an extra thread but I can assure you that

main use in real life was/is

the "was" has been very different than the very wise usage of delay/reverb in front of the amp to "fatten up" like many guys use to do nowadays.. :D :D;(<X

I dont remember when the edge said that he was using a ssd-3000 just right into a vox..but afterwards the hell break loose..and it was not only him.. ;)

When you listen to most pop-/rock albums from the 80s you will hear strange use of reverb/delay (just listen to what they did to the poor DX-7 and more so the snairs back then..ohh dear..).Things everyone would shoot you if you would try this today...

• This might need to be emphasised! I think it's all good to take one step after another instead of giving us immature updates.
    From what I've seen now, the 4.0 is a dream come true and it answers some highly requested options.

The Delays are part of 4.0....which will come out as a beta.

• I was also at NAMM yesterday and put all of the new features through their paces.
    The team has done a remarkable job, the delays sound amazing!

i wasn't really thrilled at first with the morph function, but Burkhard took the time to fully explain and give me an in-depth tutorial on how it works and how to use it.
    man, it is very cool!
    You can set every parameter to change, and can time it to change when you want it to.
    so you can be playing a clean tone with spacious delay, then hit the foot switch, walk out to front of stage, and your dirty lead tone with a different delay will come on after the length of time you specified.

Burkhard really walked me through every new detail and took like 15 minutes with me.
    What a nice gentleman, thank you for your time and thorough knowledge!