Namm 2016 - Day 1 - New Kemper stuff! with pics

• Unfortunately, this "idea" of an incomplete product was not something that was ever on the radar. I figured, like most digital amps/modelers/whatever, updates would be included, but I think Kemper kind of screwed themselves by releasing an "incomplete" product. A couple years of R&D without users on a forum complaining about things and asking for new features would have set them up in a better position to have an even killer product on day 1.

I, for one, am SO glad that the lunchbox was released when it was. I've had 4 years of joy using it, and no regrets! On the other hand, if it had not been available, I'd probably have gotten an AXF then. Thank you to the Kemper team for letting this outstanding piece of gear out there when they did :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I can't understand people complaining when they get a present

When I bought my KPA on January 2012, performance mode didn't exist, Rig Manager didn't existe, Merged profiles didn't exist, Remote didn't exist, one of the USB ports was useless, power amp option didn't exist, vinyl stop, etc...

My decision was based on potential future product development so I don't consider this development as a present but as the product I bought and I have to admit that has surpassed all my expectations.

• Sometimes this forum reminds me of a town hall meeting from the TV show "Parks and Recreation".

Kemper team, please keep up the good work and know that you are appreciated!

And another thought... Since effects cant be separately profiled, is there any way to release an SDK for effects programming? I'd imagine opening up the VST platform took a lot of heat off of Steinberg back in the day. :)

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Contrary to some " we want more and more effects -approach " on this Board , I think KPA is not about effects, but about organic, natural tube amp tone .

That's why KPA have a name (AMP) PROFILER , not the name of some obscure XXXX effect unit .

Anyway, thanks to KPA team to their efforts to fulfill effect geeks wishes ,we know they must follow mainstream market demands .

I hope , one day , -when KPA manage to have all of the effects from this World ,and there is no more new demand like a : quadruple delay , mega Godzilla omnipotent multi pitch ,Editor connected with smart glasses and Kemper Robot (KPA-iR ) who actually press the guitar strings on certain frets position instead of guitarist him self - Kemper will get back to original basics of its philosophy and work on even better and more organic, natural tube amp sound , backed by better and even more advanced profiling results .

Until such a good times, my best wishes and thanks again for this amazing device named Kemper Profiler Amplifier.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 6 times, last by Rescator ().

• I couldn't care less about the price of used Profilers.
    I didn't buy it to sell it. I got it to use it and I will keep it until it's completely broken.

I don't think I implied that I bought it to sell it. My point is that when something new is brought out to replace its predecessor the value drops and they no longer support it as the efforts are on the new product. Based on the new stuff that continues to come out the capabilities of the Kemper have not been exhausted. I am one to appreciate and use something until it drops - not wish for something else and miss out on the opportunities at hand. Since the "new" point of view has been presented many times I simply voiced my logic without condemnation. By the way time is flying because I noted 2 years when its actually coming on 4 years for having my profiler. I think the rack option was an addition that was another form that did not compromise the original. If there was a floorboard version that used the same internal and processing so the updates were common for all then great.

I am interested in seeing how all the functions apply once the new firmware is released. The features that are coming out are definitely appreciated.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• There is simply no getting around it..... the KPA is just incredible as is the team that designs and updates it.

I walk into gigs now with a small 3 space rack, a foot pedal with a shoulder strap, and a guitar all in one trip. I plug into the PA with XLR's, and into my foot switch and I have perfect tone on every song every night.

I was perfectly happy with the KPA the day I bought it because I waited until the performance mode was supported and a decent low cost foot switch was available to control it.

The delay was a weak spot in the product, but still, it was very usable and still sounded quite good. The verbs that are in the unit are very good, but perhaps not Eventide quality .... still, seriously?

A stand alone KPA rig sounds better than any local rig I have ever heard. There are a few touring acts that have 10x the money in their rig (along with a crew to maintain it) that sound better.

I agree with others here. Start a new thread about your disappointments with this product.

I for one couldn't possibly be happier with the product and the continued improvement over the years. These new features further enhance an already fantastic product. It is simply the best single unit guitar rig money can buy. In the very near future, it may well be the best complete guitar rig money can buy. How anyone can be unhappy with that is beyond me.

• Oh, I forgot to post that Kemper really pisses me off with release date of the new fw. :) They tell you 21st is the birthday party and instead of giving you the present, they give you just a picture of it with some notes, how great the present is. :( Sometime in February? No way! Realease the beta now! We want to play a little with the present. Taste the cake! Damn! :D

Is this childish behaviour? Yes. Do I care? No. Nobody should be cruel to children... ;( ;(;(

LOL :D

[Blocked Image: http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55544427.jpg]

• I'm very happy with the news on the updates. I can't wait to play with the new delays.

I do think it's fair to allow criticism though, sharing excitement and that you're happy is good but sycophancy is deleterious. The difference is tolerance, it's the difference between a great community and, well, someplace like the FAS forums. Us being honest and respectful is all that's needed for the Kemper team know what resonates and what's less popular for future development. Just don't let yourself go into hyperbole or "I'm throwing my toys out of the crib" mode to do it. Be polite, professional and respect the hard work that the Kemper team put in.

At the extreme end of the spectrum if you really don't like how Kemper is looking after their product and customers then there are competitive products out there, simply go, spend your money elsewhere, once you've stated why you don't need to justify your position or decision. It's yours to make, hanging around and whining or trying to drag everyone else down is trolling, you don't want to be that person.

• Promise of free sw updates has been part of Kemper's marketing strategy from the start. So one can not be surprised, we demand things. Neither should be at Kemper.

Perspectives of updates don't, by any means, imply that you will receive what you have asked for when you want it tho. There's a big difference. It's more than evident to me that Kemper have been fulfilling their promises and their commitment.

Kemper kind of screwed themselves by releasing an "incomplete" product. A couple years of R&D without users on a forum complaining about things and asking for new features would have set them up in a better position to have an even killer product on day 1.

Well, if this is at the foundation of having sold 12000+ units and seeing the Profiler on basically every studios and on most stages and shows... long live incompleteness :D
    And rest assured this is just the beginning.

The delays that are coming here sound fabulous and I cannot wait to play with them. I am wondering whether these will make it onto 4.0?

No, CK says in the video that they will come later.

• Perspectives of updates don't, by any means, imply that you will receive what you have asked for when you want it tho.

I didn't want to say anything like you wrote. :( On the other side, if Kemper makes promise of constant fw updates and also makes forum subsection called Feature requests, one can expect that you can ask for things and there is a chance you will get it.

• I didn't want to say anything like you wrote. :( On the other side, if Kemper makes promise of constant fw updates and also makes forum subsection called Feature requests, one can expect that you can ask for things and there is a chance you will get it.

Peto, we are currently talking about people complaining, at the wrong moment and in the wrong forums :)
    What you have just written (that is obvious to me and - I am pretty sure - to all the members of this board), has nothing to do with that ;)

• I imagine people just see th KPA as a possible all in one unit.
    No more dragging amps and cabs around. Hundreds of them.
    They definitely succeeded there.
    They even knocked some effects out of the chain to carry around and hook up.

It may seem to many that this device can do it all and feel that it, by nature of its design, it should.

I am not saying it should or shouldn't but I can understand why some would be more vocal about their desires.

• LOL! Damian

Good point, someone mentioned a sense of entitlement, but I think spoiled rotten would be more accurate.
    But sometimes it is good to be spoiled. I know I am spoiled here, not ashamed to admit it and loving every second :)

Funny that you have an emotional baby there. There is an old saying, that is also used by programmers when they are on a project where more people etc. will not really help. It goes something like you can't get 3 women to have one baby in 3 months. Certain things just take time. I think it is a very good quality in the Kteam that they wait until something is done very well, if not best in the world to release, instead of rushing flawed work out the door. Most "fully grown men" wont complain about this, and a few malcontents kind of look silly. Breaking news: internet forums have trolls and other kinds of bozos. Just have a laugh and move on. LOL throwing toys out of the crib PER... that continues Damian's fine work... If you ever see a bummer or downer post from some troll, click this link and read this funny stuff--it will also give some good perspective on the nature of internet reviews, posts, trolling etc. click this link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Moun…roduct-reviews/B002HJ377A it has changed since I first saw it with over 2000 reviews long ago. Warning: it can be a bit addictive, and will have all kinds of humour, people are now calling it a meme, so I am guessing it's not new here, but for those who ave not seen it, its worth a look imho. You will probably never take a troll, whiner, misanthrope seriously again... I garrontee it!

I was going to say something else about how KPA develops and releases things earlier, but forgot this part... in relation to Kemper being a very well run IP company.

I don't think it is marketing hype that causes them to be very careful about what info they release. More like the possibility or danger of IP theft, which is rampant these days, but probably the most in music. The entire music industry as we know it is based on one of the largest IP thefts in history--the radio. Tesla was the talent, Marconi thief and leech. Tesla died alone and poor, Marconi created a media empire. US congress passed an Act declaring Tesla as the true inventor of the radio. Another more recent example would be the Floyd Rose. A decent patent costs ~$20k to have filed by a good law firm, and is a worthless liability without a legal plan, and a few million dollars set aside to enforce it in court. The common paint roller was stolen this was, since it became known the inventor could not afford to litigate. Sorry if this sounds negative, but it is a grim reality. The term profiling seems to have been used repeatedly, in a sketchy manner during that anderton's helix infomercial. granted it was poorly done--always something weird about using your hands on a foot controller, and when they started doing that tap dance, changing settings with their hands, it kind of made the helix look like an electronic board game for dorks. I'm sure the language was not lost on Kemper Gmhb, and they moved on, doing bigger, better things, and as we are seeing once again, kicking ass and taking names the right way--by making a better product. To do this, and keep your IP, you need to follow some complex regulations, and that is my guess why public announcements need to be very carefully handled.

Also the release strategy is very well done. Instead of hype about new processor powers and such untrue drama--moore's law ended years ago-- and proc's are looking to reduce heat, add cores, because there is no current tech answer to the ~10nm s/n problems with IC components. Saying newer shiny proc makes ppl feel informed, but is not exactly true in many cases... like watts rating volume of speakers etc. It is also ridiculous to look at saving micro seconds or even milliseconds via processors, then spending hours setting parameters on them.

Kemper is unique insofar as they planned ahead, and decided not to sell substandard devices with an eye to sell proper ones later. Instead they have their revenue from a growing user base, and as more features are added, and the value of the unit goes up, so will the price. If a strobe tuner is implemented, and it saves you $200 you cant complain that a kpa costs $100 more now. Most sensible ppl would consider $3-400 more as a fair price just for the convenience of not needing to lug another item around--an effect that has often been discussed here.

My guess is Kemper will raise prices of new units as more development happens, early adopters luck out and get rewarded, a great product just gets better, and keeps its value, and a great development team is well paid for doing world class work. It is a win / win for everyone. If I was looking to get another one, I would think sooner than later would be a good idea especially when things like delay an reverb, and morph, and who knows what else to come show their true colors and start to shine. The atmosphere here is very collaborative, with ideas from novice musicians, to very expert seasoned pros, all discussing ideas, with a very creative and capable company watching closely implementing solutions in a way that is very elegant, efficient, and most importantly, not focusing on hyperbole of how well a processor can do a given task, but instead how well the device as a whole works for all kinds of people. If you want to spend hours tweaking, and tinkering, standalone, daw etc. you can. If you want to just dial in a tone and play you can... wait... the KPA will now turn the knobs for you with the flick of a switch. ppl use vol knobs on gits while playing all the time, not so much on amps. It will be really interesting to see what kind of new tones and ideas come out of this, impossible to really predict, it's so broad and far reaching....

Back in the day there was no fx loop, and we LIKED it, harumph... we had to carry 8x12 stacks to gigs uphill BOTH ways, and a PA was what the school principle used to yell at everyone ;)

Great and interesting times to be a guitarist, or any musician, since it is becoming more accessible every year, and that will only bring more good things in the long run.

• When I bought my KPA on January 2012, performance mode didn't exist, Rig Manager didn't existe, Merged profiles didn't exist, Remote didn't exist, one of the USB ports was useless, power amp option didn't exist, vinyl stop, etc...

My decision was based on potential future product development so I don't consider this development as a present but as the product I bought and I have to admit that has surpassed all my expectations.

You said it all.
    Same thing here. :thumbup:
    And I can't express my gratitude enough to the kemper team!!! :thumbup:

• In other news, we have over 24 inches of snow, with more expected. *sigh* I guess, I'll just have to go down in the basement and fool around on my Kemper... :whistling:

I heard in TV about that - you can alwas do a lot of snowman's :D:
    [Blocked Image: http://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/who_snowmen_1.jpg]