Namm 2016 - Day 1 - New Kemper stuff! with pics

• Yup.

A full-featured floorboard unit with a minimal UI (to control costs) would only make sense with a full-featured PC/OSX/iOS editor as a companion. Since FAS doesn't seem keen on the editor front, my suggestion was a rig "player" unit only.

FAS?...You meant Kemper of course! ;)

• Since this is a NAMM thread, I will put out some speculation...

Friends of friends have mentioned that Kemper IS in fact in development of a floorboard based KPA product...

certainly hope so, if it had one expression pedal on it and if it had two inputs (so you could use a mag/piezo setup) would be a dream come true!
    I'm actually considering buying an Ax-8 and it would kill me to give them any $$.....

• How about just a large pedal sized unit with zero editing features except loading profiles and master volume?? Maybe a gain control. It would let me leave my profiler at home and my entire rig would be guitars > pedalboard > FOH

The problem is that every club and venue (small, medium or large) is a different acoustic environment. At the very least, a guitarist is going to need a means to adjust EQ...even if it is simply the sound coming from their own stage monitor. So, that is 4 more knobs. Then, you are most likely going to want a means to adjust Reverb. So, there is another control. You also might find you need some basic control and adjustments to the Cab profile.

Once you start going down that rabbit hole, you might as well have at least a basic user interface that controls these parameters as well as FX.

I just can't conceive of a dedicated, floor-based KPA unit that only has a few performance/bank switches and a single volume knob.

• ... which is why I suggested a Kemper player with minimal editing capability like gain and EQ. Ya know, kinda like .... an amp. ;)

You could design it with a two knobs if you wanted -- one to select parameters and another encoder w/LED ring to edit. You don't even need a screen.