Finally... good profiles of my favorite, my Egnater TOL100

• Profiling this amp is pretty much the reason I bought the KPA 2 or 3 years ago... but it's been a challenge.

First, these amps are now pretty old (this is a pre-rocktron one) and if there are issues (as mine had) getting them fixed is difficult. I finally got Dave Friedman to go through it and get it working well again... then I found a set of NOS Winged "C" tubes for it and all of a sudden it was back to life.

But then came the task of really capturing the sound the way it really is, which is no small feat either. I've collected mics, preamps, and made many attempts - all of which were just not quite right.

I've learned a TON in this process and now feel very confident profiling some of my other amps going forward, but for now I'm just going to enjoy this one.

I did my first gig with it a couple of nights ago and could not be happier. Out front it sat in the mix great, and I was inspired to play all night long. In fact, when I got home I put the headphones on and played some more.

I did hi pass and do a little mid-range cut for the front of house mix to fit in with the band (it's an 8 piece band and it's not always guitar driven so I have to fit in.) Your results may vary and in a trio or 4 piece I probably would not have touched the EQ.

I have 2 sets of profiles:
    Those with "5" are a combination of a 57 and Fathead II, and a TUL FET47. I spent hours getting the mic placement right to avoid phase and get the best sound. I little EQ was applied, of course, to remove low-mid rumble.

Those with "6" are my TUL G12 mic alone. And to be honest after the gig where I tried both, I like the G12 stuff better. That mic is dead easy to use and with a little hi pass and low mid dip you really don't have to do anything else.

The settings on the amp were the same for both mic combinations, so I did a direct set that all end in D- as well.

These amps have many switches - on the clean channel (channel 1) there is a Bright switch that can be 0, 1, or 2. So you'll see channel 1 with B0, B1, or B2 after it.

Channels 3 and 4 have a mid switch "Vintage," "Modern 1," and "Modern 2" so you'll see VN, M1, or M2 respectively for both channels 3 and 4.

I finally now don't have to worry if this amp goes down again because I finally feel like I've captured this amp the way it was meant to sound. And while I haven't changed the profiles since I made them, I've played with them enough to know that subtle changes in the mids and highs can alter the sounds for various guitars and styles of music easily.

In fact, currently I'm digging channel 2 with a touch more gain as my blues tone over my Two Rock Emerald Pro - but that's my next profile so we'll see how long that lasts.

Anyway, here's a link to a ZIP of all of it. I hope you can make some great music from these.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya27qpe4gu9df1g/G3 Egnater TOL Profiles All.zip

Griff

• gave them a quick try and I must say you've done a great job with these...very well balanced and nice sounding...I'll try them at live levels next week but I'm pretty sure they will sound great. thanx alot :thumbup:

• Thanks for these, I used my pre-Rocktron IE4 preamp,which Bruce modified channel 2 and 3 for me, for 15 yrs and have had a little trouble profiling my old set up. So really looking forward to trying these

• Unbelievable effort Griff, thank you so much man
    thanks for the heads up about digging channel 2
    will give that a go for blues man.

what a great effort Griff.

sincerely
    Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.