Name that vintage tone?

• Hi everyone. I know this might be a silly song, but the production has a nice vintage quality and I'm looking to replicate the guitar and bass tones (and it IS a classic, teenybopper or not). The closest I can get to the opening lead tone is with some of my AC30 profiles with a lot of room. Does anyone have any profiles to share or suggestions?

"Magic" by Pilot:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm still new here so please let me know if I've posted in the wrong forum, or if these kinds of inquiries are annoying. I thought "Name that Tone" would be a nice sub-forum topic on it's own, if it doesn't already exist...

I appreciate all the help and so far I really love the community!

rock on

• The guitarist in question was most likely Ian Bairnson, at least Wikipedia listed him for the harmony guitar parts on that track. I don't know what he played on "Magic", but that guy also played the legendary solo on Kate Bush's "wuthering hights" and there he used an early ES 335 straight in a Marshall plexi.

That sound is pretty archetypical 70s Marshall + Humbucker pop-guitar sound, there have been loads of bands working with the same formula (from Slade to Kiss). I'm not sure if there are too many pedals involved, maybe a big muff or a simple booster.

If you want to copy that sound, just get a good Plexi profile (by Topjimi or Ampfactory) and an ES-type guitar. Maybe try a booster to taste.

• Thanks everyone! I have plenty of Plexi profiles and a 70s Gibson HB, but if anyone comes across a profile that really has that characteristic please let me know. Most of the Marshall profiles I've tried sound a little scooped for some reason...it works a lot better with an open back cab and a semi-hollow ric with toaster HB pickups. But these suggestions are much appreciated!

• It sounds like the parts are double tracked (at least on the intro) which is helping the overall tone...I found this

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    and hes using Orange Amps.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't