Fixed a not optimal sounding KPA

• Since I got the KPA I've been struggling to get really, REALLY awesome tones with the KPA. Several profiles improved the sound a lot, but still I was missing something in the sound, when I listened to clips from others, which sounded much more full, with more balls, better frequencies. Especially when using a SC Strat it was really hard to get the defined distortion going when recording into my interface/DAW. The sound through power amp into cab was to die for, so I was much puzzled by what was going on.

So 2 days ago I decided to make a backup of my profiles and do a flash init (Maintenance menu), and reimporting the factory rigs. One of the first ones I loaded up sounded so amazing, that after that I imported parts of my commercial profiles (by using rig manager). That sounded great, but no longer effects going out of the stereo outs. So I did an init of those settings, and the effects returned.

The sound is now SO much better!

It does scare me though, that after importing rigs all of a sudden the outputs 'broke'. I think that might have caused the fact that I had a sub par sound from the start, since obviously I downloaded shitloads of free profiles from the exchange as soon as I upgraded the KPA.

So, if you ever have a similar issue, a flash init can fix this.

I am in the middle of a project. Luckily I tracked also a DI, so I could reamp, and it's a different from day and night. I noticed the sound lacking especially when using palm mutes distortion, like pieces of the frequencies were missing, or the resolution reverted to 11 KHz or something.

Cheers,

Michael

• There have been similar accounts before ... I just wonder how this is possible and most of all: How can users find out when it's time for a flash initialisation. ... Have you contacted support and sent them a copy of your backup?

• There have been similar accounts before ... I just wonder how this is possible and most of all: How can users find out when it's time for a flash initialisation. ... Have you contacted support and sent them a copy of your backup?

No, I was just so happy I finally have a great sound. I do have the backup, so I will send that.

• I commented on another thread a while back something somewhat similiar.
    But my problem seemed to be at random. From one boot to another.

One day I would boot it up to play and it sounded fantastic. At other random times when I started it up it would sound off. I can't really describe it but it was a enough to where my session was cut really short.

Most of the time I will find myself playing for a long time because the tones keep me inspired.

I thought it was just my moods at the the time but I have been paying more attention since and I am not so sure now.

• No, I was just so happy I finally have a great sound. I do have the backup, so I will send that.

Good to know. But to know the reason would calm.
    I had a similar experience, sometimes the outputs the next day was changed even to infinity.
    I cleaned the KPA from all Rigs and now I store only the one I really use for a performance.
    At home I test a Rig with the RM and store only what I really need (and have tested before). At the moment there are 28 Rigs and 6 performances.
    Since that time the Problem did not arise again.
    If there is a better sound I can not tell. My ears are not so sensitive any more ;)

• Hm, I wonder if I suffer from this, too. I used to think, the KPA sounds better in vids than on my desk. I then changed from guitar 1 to guitar 2 and bääm. Great and as I hoped it would sound. I built a high end vibrato into this guitar, that should increase the sound. But yet it didn't, instead it feels like before again ;( . I am a bit confused.

That being said, I have to do a complete set up of the guitar first. Which I did before, but maybe it has to be done after changing the trem. Though the trem manufacturer did not see why.

Other than that I mailed support to ask them if it is possible, that two KPAs - given they are exactly set the same - can sound differently. The answer was, that as long as there is no hardware defect, this cannot be. But there are several other reason, why we might feel so, which are the same as we have when feeling the sound in the rehearsal room was way better last time. So no need to list them anymore, we all know these.

So, still the mistake can be on my side - although I had it sounding wonderful, so I don't see why (despite changing the trem.).

But - after reading all these other user experiences regarding similar issues - and such come up from time to time - makes me still a bit confused.
    I do not want to live without my KPA anymore, but this thread should maybe get addressed by someone official?

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• It would be nice, if those, that perceive sound changes would simply provide recordings of that phenomenon. I wonder why (at least to my knowledge) nobody has done that yet since it is really not that complicated ;).
    Best thing would be a kind of reference recording like a phrase played into a looper or another "clean" audio recording that can be sent to the kemper unaltered. Now when (or if 8) ) ANY sound change is perceived, just send that recording to your kemper and, well, re-record it. Then do your reset or whatever it takes to get back to "good sound", send the recording to your kemper again and re-record that again. Now you have two recordings, a "bad one" and a "good one" (to have an an ugly one would be great but not important here 8o ). These would be a starting point for comparison.

• Well, of course the kemper sounds different from day to day...
    The tubes inside react to different humidity and temperature outside of the kemper.
    ;)

Sorry, didn't have this issue so far...
    But I will keep my ears open...

• It would be nice, if those, that perceive sound changes would simply provide recordings of that phenomenon. I wonder why (at least to my knowledge) nobody has done that yet since it is really not that complicated ;).
    Best thing would be a kind of reference recording like a phrase played into a looper or another "clean" audio recording that can be sent to the kemper unaltered. Now when (or if 8) ) ANY sound change is perceived, just send that recording to your kemper and, well, re-record it. Then do your reset or whatever it takes to get back to "good sound", send the recording to your kemper again and re-record that again. Now you have two recordings, a "bad one" and a "good one" (to have an an ugly one would be great but not important here 8o ). These would be a starting point for comparison.

Well, this! :thumbup: If have heard this from time to time in the last 4 years. this fortunately did not happen to me. It would seriously confuse me if it did. So:
    as zambesi said: please record the strange sounding asap when you meet it and then - hopefully - the next day the good sound and then we can decide whether this
    is a psychological phenomenon, if not: i am sure the kempers will put every effort to solve this. cheers

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.