Howdy from Bavaria! (Also got a few beginner questions)

• Hey Guys,

I'm Alex and I did it. I was planning to buy a Kemper Power Head and a Remote this summer and you know ...
    I bought it last Saturday.
    To be honest it was a tough decision since I was one of that guys thinking that tube amps are the one and only
    real deal.
    They say the KPA sucks the soul out of tube amps to recreate their awesome tone. Guess what, I don't care
    anymore since selling the soul to the devil is just kinda part of the Rock 'n' Roll, isn't it?

Why did I buy one? I'm suffering from a spinal prolapse and therefore I don't want to carry a sh*tload of stuff all the time.

I also got a few questions:
    I'm not sure how well it'll work to profile my own TH30 C in our rehearsal room. Do you guys think that the
    profiles done by the "big guys" in their studios will sound better in every case or is it worth giving a shot?
    I bought a Behringer GI100 ULTRA-G to be able to profile own merged profiles just in case.

I want to recreate "my" sound but I'm not afraid to use other amps instead of my TH30 C. I just want to
    keep things simple and don't want to use different amps for every single song or song part. Like using
    this amp for the solo and the next amp for the main part or stuff like that. I think this would not be "generic", if
    you know what I mean. I'm ok with using different rigs, amps etc. for clean, distortion and muff/ fuzz, however.

What I don't want is carrying around my pedal board anymore, that's what I bought the Kemper for.

I was never satisfied with a "standard" sound. I. e. I always used a Boss SD-1 to crank up the amp a little, no matter
    if "clean", overdriven or even in front of my big muff. I'm not sure if i can recreate that tone or at least narrow that tone
    without doing my own profiles. Thing is the room isn't that cool, relating to the sound.
    I also got that little EQ on my board to influence the overall tone of my guitars, but thats no problem, the Kemper got
    EQs too. I got an 11-band EQ but it should be ok to use the smaller Kemper EQs.

Next question:
    I planning to use a cab on stage and in the rehearsal room just because. Is it nonsense to mic that cab just like I did
    before. Is it in every case better to use the main outputs? If so, why? If I like the sound of the KPA with the cab I
    can't imagine it'll sound the same or better using the main outs because of the cab sim etc.?

Thank you in advance, I'm so glad to be a part of the KPA-community.

Cheers,
    Alex

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

• Welcome Alex!! You already have the Ultra-G so, profile away and see what you get. If you have some favorite settings and tones from the TH30 then have some fun capturing them and you'll have them forever. Good luck!

• Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

You should profile your amp, and perhaps even do it multiple times to see what works best for you. I've been a Kemper user for about 4 years now, and profiled my Marshall JTM30 when I bought my first lunchbox. Well, over time, I did modify it to change the cab (switched to a 4x12 Marshall from someone else's profile), then adjusted EQ. Last night I was backing up a friend who hosts an open mic, and was looking for a clean profile that sounded "right" in that room. I landed on my old JTM30, and it sounded amazing. Several people commented on it. So, profile your own amp!

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hey!

Thanks for all the answers. The last two days I spend quite some time in our rehearsal room. You were right! It is just awesome, im flashed. This machine is
    incredible. I profiled my TH30 C clean and also with the Boss SD-1 in front of the amp. I did a studio and a di profile and merged them. It's fantastic.

I like the sound from my cab (I just used the TH30 C as a cab) much more than the sound from the PA. That's the only thing that sucks so far. How to fix that?
    Am I just not that impressed because I always had the sound from the cab and have never really listened to the PA. Is this something I need to get used to?
    How to improve the PA sound?
    The cab to my mind (ears) got a lot more highs and not that much mids, I guess.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I think I'm feeling home here.

Cheers!

PS: Servus nach Minga, ich komm' aus Erlangen.

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

• Yeah, the Kemper will always sound more like your miced cab than your cab in the room. But did you try to use the ''pure cab'' feature in the output menu? It is meant to help a lot for this ''in the room'' feel.

Here is what they say in the manual:

"Pure Cabinet" will gently polish the sound of the virtual cabinet to move it toward the sound that you would hear directly - in other words: the sound of the cabinet without the microphone. The fundamental character of the sound will still be maintained.

• Yeah, the Kemper will always sound more like your miced cab than your cab in the room. But did you try to use the ''pure cab'' feature in the output menu? It is meant to help a lot for this ''in the room'' feel.

Here is what they say in the manual:

"Pure Cabinet" will gently polish the sound of the virtual cabinet to move it toward the sound that you would hear directly - in other words: the sound of the cabinet without the microphone. The fundamental character of the sound will still be maintained.

I tried it but maybe didn't really focus on it. Maybe I should give it another try. Also the PA is not that expensive. Listening to my headphones sounds a lot better maybe I should trust them more? What I experienced was a quite crunchy distorted sound through my cab and a sound lacking lots of this distortion through the PA. How is this possible?

Thx!

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

• Welcome!

If you like the sound of your tube amp when you record it with you own mic, micpreamp, .... - then you have all you need to create nice profiles.

If now try out some of the free or commercial ones.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I tried it but maybe didn't really focus on it. Maybe I should give it another try. Also the PA is not that expensive. Listening to my headphones sounds a lot better maybe I should trust them more? What I experienced was a quite crunchy distorted sound through my cab and a sound lacking lots of this distortion through the PA. How is this possible?

Thx!

I think the speaker may be really aggressive compared to the PAs speakers, Maybe that's also a point.

Do you use the power amp of the Kemper itself? It is possible that the speaker of your guitar cab break up earlier?

If you referring to when it reaches its limits the answer is no, it get's used to much louder noises while staying relatively clear. What I found is that the speaker is really, really more aggressive compared to the PA, it got less Mids and more sharp Highs. I now played a lot with EQs before and after the amp and also adjusted the EQs for Monitor Out and Main Out in the Output section of the KPA.
    I'm now really satisfied and wish I'd have a better PA in our rehearsal room. The cabinet sound awesome to my mind.

Welcome!

If you like the sound of your tube amp when you record it with you own mic, micpreamp, .... - then you have all you need to create nice profiles.

If now try out some of the free or commercial ones.

I now profiled my TH30 C clean and withs a slightly overdriven Boss SD-1 in front of it. They are both merged profiles and they are great. I can't believe how great this thing works. Awesome!
    If you wanna try them I'm going to put them on rig exchange in the next few minutes. They are supposed to fit my Fender Thinline Cabronita Tele with Humbuckers and to match a vintage rock sound.

Thanks and cheers,
    Alex.

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

• Grüß Dich Alex!
    Lass Dir Zeit. Glaubst gar nicht was in der Büchse drin steckt und was machbar ist. Gibt so viele Möglichkeiten Studio / Amp / FRFR / PA, also alles hoch 4, da hast Du gut zu schrauben an den Knöppen.
    Und wenn man sich erst mal seine Sounds selber schnitzt und die man nur für sich selber hat, dann wird der Schlüpfer langsam feucht! ^^
    Hast eine interessante Zeit der Entdeckungen vor Dir...