Is the Effects Loop inherently Noisy?

• When I use the effects loop, there's an annoying increase in hiss. I've tried using a 3-inch patch cable directly between the send and return to remove any pedals from the equation. When I A/B the Mono Loop, with all loop settings flat, there's a significant hiss increase.

• It depends what you put in there.

I don't use any pedals today, but with my first Kemper i recall using an old Phaser pedal that was a bit noisy in the effects loop.But i didn't have problems with modern digital effects in the loop.

• Well, as I've said I removed everything from the loop and it still adds noise. I have noticed that the Mono Loop is worse in the "Stomp" section: If placed in the "X" slot it's not quite as bad. It's most noticeable if you play a non-distorted note and let it ring out.

• Zero? Interesting. Sounds like something's wrong with my unit. Maybe I'll make a recording with the loop engaged (but nothing in the loop), and not engaged. Then I'll email the recordings to Kemper and see what they say.

• There is a difference in using the Loop before or after the amp, that is - the amp gain.
    Using it after the amp will not amplify the analog loop and its noise, while using it before the amp in the Stomps section will amplify the noise by several dozen decibel, if the gain is high.

• although perhaps not economically feasible (or technically possible?), it would be nice to have more routing options with the kemper.

If a second loop and a standalone aux in (for ipad, etc., playback) could be added to the next generation of the foot controller... that would be super cool.