Tone Dexter Pro. A Profiler for acoustic instrument?

• This is a product in development which looks to be a way to kind of profile or imaging a miced acoustic instrument and restore the result using your piezo live:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What do you think?

• As I understand it, this is much like the Fishman Aura system. I've played some higher end Martins equipped with Aura and definitely works very well. Aura is already on the market for years.

Only problem with Aura is, you can't make your own profiles with it. In that regard this new system sounds promising.

• As I understand it, this is much like the Fishman Aura system. I've played some higher end Martins equipped with Aura and definitely works very well. Aura is already on the market for years.

Only problem with Aura is, you can't make your own profiles with it.

Yeah, it looks a lot like fishman imaging but the big difference is that you can tailor your image by yourself for your own piezo system.

• I stopped by their booth @ NAMM and was extremely impressed. You could hear the "quack" disappearing as he played. The only downside, for me, is the $600 price....I just don't play acoustic enough to justify that. However, for someone who's primary instrument is acoustic, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

• I stopped by their booth @ NAMM and was extremely impressed. You could hear the "quack" disappearing as he played. The only downside, for me, is the $600 price....I just don't play acoustic enough to justify that. However, for someone who's primary instrument is acoustic, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

So $600.00 will be the street price? Not so bad if I sell my Aura spectrum. Did they tell you a release date?

• So $600.00 will be the street price? Not so bad if I sell my Aura spectrum. Did they tell you a release date?

Right now they are selling direct...they are still finishing the prototyping, and expect to deliver units around the 2nd quarter of this year (or sooner).

BTW, as he "profiled" the guitar, not only did the "quack" vanish, but the string definition - you know, the sound of the windings on the wound strings - increased dramatically.

• I would be interested what I the sound if you change the guitar.
    Background of question:.
    I have a piezzo in my Strat and it sound quite nice via Kemper.
    But the warmness of my acoustic guitar I could not reach untill now. (For strumming chords its good enough)
    If an improvement of the tone could be reached, would it be also possible to profile it with the Kemper?

• I would be interested what I the sound if you change the guitar.
    Background of question:.
    I have a piezzo in my Strat and it sound quite nice via Kemper.
    But the warmness of my acoustic guitar I could not reach untill now. (For strumming chords its good enough)
    If an improvement of the tone could be reached, would it be also possible to profile it with the Kemper?

From my reading you have to use the guitar itself to get best results. In the ''learning'' process the system will listen to the miced guitar in the same time than the piezo then translate the mic tone to the piezo.

I know that Soundside have some acoustic guitars images for Kemper, which are more like Aura images, I don't know what is the exact process he used to make the profiles. But the difference with Dexter Pro is that the result is optimise for your piezo system and your guitar.

• From my reading you have to use the guitar itself to get best results. In the ''learning'' process the system will listen to the miced guitar in the same time than the piezo then translate the mic tone to the piezo.
    I know that Soundside have some acoustic guitars images for Kemper, which are more like Aura images, I don't know what is the exact process he used to make the profiles. But the difference with Dexter Pro is that the result is optimise for your piezo system and your guitar.

Similar I had understood. I do not think it would be the same as to play the original guitar.
    But something must come out :/
    For this I am curious. Depends on what information the Dexter need to produce a tone.

BTW : I have the acoustic pack from Soundside and I use it. It's pretty good but the better is the enemy of the good, even it is not the best ;)

• 1- Send a wave file of the electric guitar into the Guitar input, and
    2- Send a wave file of an acoustic guitar playing the exact same part into the Microphone input.

Well If I understand well, you gave a hint to handle the dexter for learning the tone?
    To play the same part with different 2 guitars - is it possible ? (I think to be in phase?)
    My curiosity is not big enough to spend 600 Bucks to give it a try ;)

But maybe your proposal has to be understand in another way?

Edited once, last by Sharry ().

• This is an interesting thing. I'm wondering who would use it?

If going live, the Fishman SA220 has the ability to amplify, EQ and be your monitor.
    For recording, there are a ton of plugins that can assuage piezo into a natural sounding or even better, mix-ready acoustic.

And it's not for you if you have a microphone pickup in your acoustic (i.e. iMix)

Being that it's guitar/mic specific, a profile of a Martin->K84 isn't going to help you with your Taylor->TLM103

I like the idea a lot though. I've often wondered why big acts put up with terrible piezo acoustic (Yeah, I'm talking to you Lifeson)

• Well If I understand well, you gave a hint to handle the dexter for learning the tone?
    To play the same part with different 2 guitars - is it possible ? (I think to be in phase?)
    My curiosity is not big enough to spend 600 Bucks to give it a try ;)

But maybe your proposal has to be understand in another way?

Yes, this was just an idea of how to use the Dexter.

• I'm wondering who would use it?

I have a 2 Lowden with contact micro inside.
    Works with the Kemper very well. I canceled the ccoustic amp in my life set up.
    I added a power bridge from fishman including a piezo pickup in my Strat.
    In the rock band is no need for complex acoustic work. The strat with fishman bridge is quite good enough for strumming chords.
    So I need not to carry a second guitar (except one as backup)
    If the tone can be improved - why not think about?

• I found this thread on TGP:

update:
    The thread was revealing. It was said that even for electric guitars with piezzos a significant improvement of sound can be achieved.
    Thus, the possibility seems to be to make profiles of each setting.
    It's interesting but at the moment a little bit to expencive. :/
    I think I'll continue try to squeeze Armins accoustic profiles even more. ;)
    Maybe with formant setting or so i can reach a further improvement.

• Just wondering:
    why don't you try to record at once a piezo track and an acoustic mic'd guitar track, then make a matching eq with ozone and finally profile it?
    It think it's worth a try before dropping 600 bucks.