Pedal Mode Question

• I looked in the Reference Manual but couldn't find an answer
    What is the difference between Pedal Mode 1 and Pedal Mode 2
    when you setup a Exp Pedal plugged direct in the Kemper
    its in the system menu for setting up the Pedals

• It appeared to me that the two types range differently, i.e. Type1 appears linear and type 2 is logarithmic so I assume depending on whether you control volume or some other parameter would influence the choice. I didn't notice any reverse polarity between them, they both appeared the same.

i haven't seen it explained anywhere, but I am correct to calibrate the pedal that you hold down calibrate soft-button end sweep the pedal through its min-max range?

• It appeared to me that the two types range differently, i.e. Type1 appears linear and type 2 is logarithmic so I assume depending on whether you control volume or some other parameter would influence the choice. I didn't notice any reverse polarity between them, they both appeared the same.

i haven't seen it explained anywhere, but I am correct to calibrate the pedal that you hold down calibrate soft-button end sweep the pedal through its min-max range?

IIRC you don't have to hold the button down buddy, just press it :)

• Type 1 and 2 are related to the polarity.
    In the Profiler both Volume and Wah Pedal are treated in a logarithmic fashion, regardless the curve implemented in hardware.
    HTH :)

With all due respect- how do you know that the "pedal-type" relates to polarity? (is it documented anywhere?)
    and, if the pedal "type" relates to polarity, how come my pedal-action isn't reversed when i switch between the two?
    Assuming we're both looking at pages 7-10 on within the system menu
    ta

• It's in the manual.

I've wondered the same TBH, and I think it's more related to some pedals not working if the connection is inverted rather than inverting their action.
    The Profiler can to some extent overrule the hardware. For example, a linear potentiometer will be managed logarithmically as well by the Profiler...
    :/

• this is from the Reference:

Expression pedals

An expression pedal works just like a wah or volume pedal, but is made for digital devices. It only needs one cable with a stereo jack, connected to one of the dedicated pedal inputs. If you use a regular expression pedal (e.g. Roland™), please select “Pedal (Type 1)” with soft knobs 1 or 3. If you use an expression pedal with reversed polarity (e.g. Yamaha™), please select “Pedal (Type 2)”. You can monitor the changing swell value of the pedal on soft knobs 2 and 4. If you find that the pedal does not cover the full value range, press “Pedal n Init” on the respective soft button, then perform a full swell on the pedal to re-calibrate it.

Most expression pedals are Type 1. Yamaha is an exception. Their pedals have different polarity and the pots are connected differently, which doesn't lead to reverse action but to a different response curve. If you don't use Yamaha, select Type 1.

• Thanks viabcroce and burkhard for the info, appreciated :thumbup:
    after a quick bit of research I did find some pedals that use the ring part of a TRS stereo jack as the variable (pot-wiper) whereas the more common type uses the TRS tip as the varying connection. I take it that these are the two "types" that are catered for.

i guess the calibration procedure would allow for pots that don't make a full-turn (270 degrees) like some wah pedals where the actuator doesn't sweep the pot through its whole mechanical-range

• If you use a regular expression pedal (e.g. Roland™), please select “Pedal (Type 1)” with soft knobs 1 or 3. If you use an expression pedal with reversed polarity (e.g. Yamaha™), please select “Pedal (Type 2)”.

Thanks paults! after upgrading to 3.2 the pedal was reset, I could not figure out what was wrong, now its ok using yamaha exp pedal with type2. Thanks!

• This guy from Mission Engineering gives an explanation here -

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• Just to let you know: If you use a Mission EP1 pedal with a toe switch, make sure the polarity of that switch is set to "Inverse" in the PROFILER menu. I saw a misleading hint in one of the Mission Engineering video tutorials, that polarity should be left at "normal". That is wrong! The Mission has a switch, which has the electrical contact open in idle state. And that behavior is "inverse" in our setting.

The effect of wrong polarity is not only, that the switching function is processed, when you release the button instead of when you hit the button. It could also cause a first switching when the PROFILER/Remote starts, without you hitting the button.

• After years ...

Today I connected a Zoom FP02 pedal.

It didn't work as described.

So I searched the Kemper Reference Manual and found this post too.

In my opinion the wording "Type 2" is reversed polarity is wrong and misleading.

Reverse polarity occurs when ground and ref voltage are swapped, i.e. the pedal works the wrong way round.

But it is the case that the pin assignment at Yamaha and also at Zoom is so different that the ring and tip are swapped.

Image shows Type 2 on the left and Type 1 on the right.
    Call it better Wiper at Tip and Wiper at ring

Be the force with you ;)

• We think,. the term reversed polarity can be applied to both scenarios.

Using terms like "wiper at tip", which are not self-explaining, would open more questions for the majority of users instead of providing confidence. We articulate in the manual: "Wrong polarity could cause a sub-optimal response curve", which implies, that the pedal is not working the other way around.

We are receiving very few questions related to this polarity subject. Otherwise I would expect lot's of questions of this kind: "Where is the wiper of my expression pedal?"