So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• Clearly the reason I repeat myself is because, some including you, are unable to get it. There's no shame in that, you can reread and a light bulb might light up and then, what you refer to as broken record would make a lot of sense, don't hit yourself in the head then, everyone has limitations that they have to live with. You'll get it someday.

I don't get it? Oh yes, I do. Let me think a bit.... ;)
    Well, you don't like the Axe, you don't like its inventor, you don't like how it is marketed, you think it's inferior, you think that everybody working with it and making music (regardless of being pro, semi- pro or hobbyist) has been fooled by the overhyped advertising of FAS (again your opinion) and that everybody using it must be nuts with inferior taste in tone or inferior hearing.
    See, that was easy. Did I forget anything? (If so, my apologies).
    And please be sure that EVERYBODY reading this forum by now has internalized this your very opinion.

As for my own opinion, I have decided for the Profiler after owning the Ultra and the Axe. For a reason (because it made sense to me and I clearly liked it better and got better and more immediate results).
    The difference between you and me is that, despite my constant enthusiasm about the Profiler, I am way too mature and balanced to ever go on a crusade like you do.

And as for your condescent tone above, that you don't only display towards me but to everyone who doesn't share your opinion, well this really makes me believe that you're indeed the immature brat that you constantly display here.
    What a pity!

• Immature brat!! I won't get down to your level as you have already guessed. Actually I was tempted to send you a private message to explain to you what you're missing, but because of your comments, I won't do that. I'll let you blissfully wonder in your ignorance (not an insult, it means not knowing) happily ever after , in your peaceful world riding your dragons and unicorns while you sprinkle fairy dust that makes everything wonderful.

Enjoy your blissful ignorance, I wish I could do the same. ;)

• Clearly the reason I repeat myself is because, some including you, are unable to get it. There's no shame in that, you can reread and a light bulb might light up and then, what you refer to as broken record would make a lot of sense, don't hit yourself in the head then, everyone has limitations that they have to live with. You'll get it someday, just hang in there Ingolf.

So I guess high profile artists like Satriani, Dweezil Zappa, Adrian Belew, The Edge, Metallica, Ty Tabor, Chris Broderick, Periphery and Meshuggah don't get it either then? :rolleyes:

• So I guess high profile artists like Satriani, Dweezil Zappa, Adrian Belew, The Edge, Metallica, Ty Tabor, Chris Broderick, Periphery and Meshuggah don't get it either then? :rolleyes:

Most if not all those you listed don't use it if for Amp modeling. Metallica used it once for amp models as far as I can remember in the Grammy and it was an Epic fail probably the worst performance by Metallica ever.

• Periphery and Meshuggah use the amp modeling. Periphery i saw live not long ago and sounded great. Most clips of the Axe sound great. Im sure we are all here bc we think the Kemper sounds better, but to suggest the Axe outright sounds awful is a ... very uncommon ... opinion.

• can we please move on? Dean your opinions have been put forth and duly noted, can you stop posting the same stuff now so the thread can move on OT and in a positive way?

Personally i I think the Axe is capable of high quality tones, personally I'm not a tweaker so went for the kemper as I could get sounds more easily. both are great. Please no insults for me saying that, it's just my opinion :D

• Most if not all those you listed don't use it if for Amp modeling. Metallica used it once for amp models as far as I can remember in the Grammy and it was an Epic fail probably the worst performance by Metallica ever.

Wrong, I mentioned these artists since they all use it for amp modelling.

• I did this reamp for thegearpage, anyone want to guess which is the profile of the Axe?

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• can we please move on? Dean your opinions have been put forth and duly noted, can you stop posting the same stuff now so the thread can move on OT and in a positive way?

Personally i I think the Axe is capable of high quality tones, personally I'm not a tweaker so went for the kemper as I could get sounds more easily. both are great. Please no insults for me saying that, it's just my opinion :D

You have my respect Netheravon, you're a gentleman and it shows! I guess it wasn't all in good humor. :D No insults from me, but you never know who might be offended by your opinion and decide to launch personal attacks at you. deadpan is also a gentleman and I feel bad for unintentionally hijacking his thread, but I, like most, don't appreciate personal attacks for stating my opinion, All good,

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• In my opinion, it's practically impossible to tell which one's the Axe. The KPA tends to smooth out Axe presets with any rough edges, so who knows. Once it's profiled, the result is really close but not quite the same. I've been consistently fooled and tended to choose profiles I thought were the Axe simply because they sounded slightly smoother and more defined.

• Absolutely.
    I found it strange how the Kemper kept the volume up on the parts where you lowered the volume to clean up. I attempted to get this with the Axe but wasn't sure how.

The Axe is supposedly going to have improve cleanup with firmware 2.01 that is coming out in a few weeks.

Before this thread was derailed, you concluded that KPA cleans up (from distortion to clean tone) in a much more musical way than the AXE II based on clips and DI tracks that I provided and you were gracious enough to re-amp. As far as I know, most players who appreciate real tube amps, find the quality of a how a tube amp cleans up to be one of the main qualities (if not the number one quality) that separate tube from solid states amp. The way a tube amp cleans up defines the feel and dynamic of the tube amp.

What was also missing from Re-amping the tracks I provided are the feel and responsiveness to finger where I Indicated the KPA was superior from my hands on experience with both but the way they both cleaned up, it was clear which one resembled tube amps more.

The bottom line is regardless of my views about any company, I would buy the AXE II or any machine that gives me the best sound. I'm more interested in sound and feel than any agenda and I think many has unfairly derailed and glossed over a huge point about how tube amps react and feel only to dismiss me as someone with an agenda against Fractal that drove my decision to buy the KPA .

In the end of the day, and even though I dislike deceptive marketing, I'm still similar to all who appreciate good tone, don't care who the designer or engineer is and what his moral or marketing gimmicks are when it comes to choosing a device or amp to purchase . I would actually, as I said before, go to hell and back, just to get a better quality sound.

If tomorrow a device that gives better results than KPA, I would buy that device, even if it comes from Fractal or any other company.

If 2.01 is supposed to improve cleanup in the AXE FX II, but at a higher price my point is that for AMP modeling alone, it's very hard to gloss over the fact that in the last 4 years the AXE II still has to catch up with KPA.
    To be honest deadpan, you truly have gotten some of the best results that I have heard from the AX8 in the heavy category but it makes me wonder and I think it's a fair question: are you not able to get similar or better results using the KPA?

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• If 2.01 is supposed to improve cleanup in the AXE FX II, but at a higher price my point is that for AMP modeling alone, it's very hard to gloss over the fact that in the last 4 years the AXE II still has to catch up with KPA.

I am not one to use my volume knob much so this isn't a concern for me though I am always for improvement. The Kemper does add some sort of compression/limiting when profiling. Not sure in what way etc...there is also some differences as the so called crossover distortion is greatly reduced on the Kemper profile. Here is a clip of the Axe displaying this distortion.

It starts about half way when I let the notes ring out:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

To be honest deadpan, you truly have gotten some of the best results that I have heard from the AX8 in the heavy category but it makes me wonder and I think it's a fair question: are you not able to get similar or better results using the KPA?

I can get basically the same sounds out of each but there have been some limitation of each that the other helps me overcome.

For my style, strings, guitar and pickups I like a certain feel etc. When I find what I like in the Kemper for one playback situation it generally doesn't translate well to another as I feel with most profiles the Fletcher Munson curve is exaggerated. Not sure why, and maybe my DSR112 softens the high frequencies at lover volumes but I have felt this on all play back systems I have tried. I can lower the presence and highs but it is not the same over all feel. With the fine tuning in the Axe I can make sounds and therefor profiles that are more consistent at different volumes. Just try one of the profiles I have shared and turn them up.

• deadpan, I've been meaning to ask how you hooked up the KPA in order to profile the Axe?

I have the KPA send to Axe guitar input, Axe main out summed L&R to KPA return. Not sure that summed left and right matters as I profile but if you want to mix IR's I think it is best if summed. If I profile an external boost in the chain I just insert it before the Axe in.

• If anyone was wondering which was the Axe profile above it was the middle.

Another test with the Marshall profile comparing it to the original Axe preset, with and without effects on both.