So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• So I bought an axe 2 about a month ago. I picked out the first clip without any problems. It's really dependent on the model to tell which is the axe and Kemper. However, I'm pretty confident in picking this next one. I have tone matched some kemper profiles using an amp+cabinet method verses just tone matching the ir. I tried to tone match the irs and use the actual amps, but none would match. Anyways, the resulting profile is very close with the method, but gives you a swoosh sound. The difference between the axe and the kemper is that the axe gives you a swoosh sound whereas the kemper gives a more articulate real amp sound. I am not saying this to argue with anyone, but it's the truth. It's not to say that the axe doesn't have it's place. I still feel like the axe has some really good effects and amps that sound good in the mix. I do however feel like there are some amp simulation issues... The reason I came to this conclusion is based on the ir only matches not matching known amps. I have also compared these to real amps that I own. I feel like that each user must decide what's important to them and what they need... I guess you could argue about realism, but the reality is if it works for you then end of story no need to argue over it.

• What was the basis for your pick?

Based on previous clips, the Kemper tends to level things out. To my ears, the volume sounds more evenly distributed(smoother), almost as if there's less dynamic range / slightly more compression, and that's what I was hearing in the 2nd clip. It's very subtle.

• So I bought an axe 2 about a month ago. I picked out the first clip without any problems. It's really dependent on the model to tell which is the axe and Kemper. However, I'm pretty confident in picking this next one. I have tone matched some kemper profiles using an amp+cabinet method verses just tone matching the ir. I tried to tone match the irs and use the actual amps, but none would match. Anyways, the resulting profile is very close with the method, but gives you a swoosh sound. The difference between the axe and the kemper is that the axe gives you a swoosh sound whereas the kemper gives a more articulate real amp sound. I am not saying this to argue with anyone, but it's the truth. It's not to say that the axe doesn't have it's place. I still feel like the axe has some really good effects and amps that sound good in the mix. I do however feel like there are some amp simulation issues... The reason I came to this conclusion is based on the ir only matches not matching known amps. I have also compared these to real amps that I own. I feel like that each user must decide what's important to them and what they need... I guess you could argue about realism, but the reality is if it works for you then end of story no need to argue over it.

That's what it comes down to for me. I don't care one bit if it's exactly like anything-if I can get good sounds out of it, then I'm happy. Some people like to split hairs over the piddly stuff, but I'm just not that worried about it. This is music gear-not a cure for cancer.

Could you post a sound clip of the swoosh?

• Based on previous clips, the Kemper tends to level things out. To my ears, the volume sounds more evenly distributed(smoother), almost as if there's less dynamic range / slightly more compression, and that's what I was hearing in the 2nd clip. It's very subtle.

I fund both the original and the profile a joy to play. In the clip the first two were Kemper second 2 Ax8.

I definitely think the Kemper is better at handling noise. Someone on another forum mentioned trying the noise gate after the amp and this works well on the Axe to cut it off quick. The noise level is masked easily be effects or in a mix though.

• I fund both the original and the profile a joy to play. In the clip the first two were Kemper second 2 Ax8.

I definitely think the Kemper is better at handling noise. Someone on another forum mentioned trying the noise gate after the amp and this works well on the Axe to cut it off quick. The noise level is masked easily be effects or in a mix though.

To my ears, the first two clips sounded noisier.

• Deadpan it's in the clips that you've done. It's noticeable on high gain amps with lots of strumming. im not sure posting a clip would explain it if you aren't noticing it on your own. Not saying to be offensive, but if you don't hear it then it's not an issue. I always heard it in YouTube clips prior to my purchase.

• I hear a swoosh when the note decays but I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.

Just want to make sure I am on the same page. If there is something there that I am not hearing I am curious.

I'm not hearing a swoosh, but I listen using Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Computer speakers aren't very accurate so I wouldn't think you'd hear much difference with them.

• I believe the swoosh I am referring to is the noise gate kicking in. I will see if I can record a specific clip and we can see if it is the same thing @jeddie is referring to.

Since noise gates only affect a signal once it falls below a certain threshold, it shouldn't have any effect on a signal above it.

• The noise I was referring to is on the decay of the note. Anyway, it is much better for some reason on Q2. I can make it happen with 2 boosts but it is not as present as before. Also I tested and it is not the noise gate causing it, the noise gate just makes it more obvious.

Here is a Q1 to Q2 to Kemper comparison.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The noise I was referring to is on the decay of the note. Anyway, it is much better for some reason on Q2. I can make it happen with 2 boosts but it is not as present as before. Also I tested and it is not the noise gate causing it, the noise gate just makes it more obvious.

Here is a Q1 to Q2 to Kemper comparison.

To me, it sounds like the noise gate kicks in more abruptly in the 1st clip vs the 2nd one, but I don't really hear a swoosh.