So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• Here is the swoosh I refer to.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

These devices have controls that allow one to go beyond reality, it is no wonder that imperfections that are normally hidden show their face more often when pushed.

@jeddie is this what you are referring to?

• @deadpan I don't think so. It's just a general sound I hear with the device. What I'm talking about is more of when you are playing a chord a long time and it sounds to me like a swoosh in the wave related to the regenerated sound at each pick stroke... the kemper when you keep playing it just keeps sounding crisp and articulate. I feel like it's more of the way the wave responds It's really nothing to worry about, but it's just something I've noticed. That said I'm playing both these devices a lot. I would just enjoy it and not really worry about it. It's a great device along with the kemper. You can't really beat the effects that it has as well.

• Does it make a difference after profiling them, or do the kpa profiles have the same (reduced) noise floor

Here is a noise test.

1. Ax8 preset
    2. Kemper profile of this preset
    3. Ax8 preset using the Kemper Green Scream
    4. Kemper profile of preset using the Kemper Green Scream

No noise gates used at all.

Most if not all of the noise can be cleaned up using noise gates but I wonder why the profile of the Axe has the worst noise?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• yea, hard to tell what the issue is - the last one definitely sounds more compressed - i wonder if you try to match them on noise floor with gain adjustments how much different the gain levels will be.

honestly, the first two are pretty close. those last 2 are a different story. i do know that clean sense can get goofy with the distortion effects - i've had some very weird stuff happen there, so that it inconsistently boosts the signal volume.

• yea, hard to tell what the issue is - the last one definitely sounds more compressed - i wonder if you try to match them on noise floor with gain adjustments how much different the gain levels will be.

honestly, the first two are pretty close. those last 2 are a different story. i do know that clean sense can get goofy with the distortion effects - i've had some very weird stuff happen there, so that it inconsistently boosts the signal volume.

I tried lowering the gain to equal the noise floor and with the Green Scream on I had to basically take it down to zero while without the boost on 2 points was pretty close.

In testing this further I recorded a DI with an external boost baked in and reamped through an Axe preset and then through a profile of this preset. What is strange is noise was not an issue here at all but in both cases I had to significantly increase the signal going into the amp to bring the gain up to where is should be. I used 12db reamp sense on the profile and increased the gain 20db in the Axe.

• I am on the list for an AX8 and a FX8. I am waiting for the invite.
    Of course I only want one of them.
    Anybody know what the differences are besides the AX8 having the amp modeling?

I mainly want the effects. = FX8
    I am curious what their modeling sounds like so I can be judged-mental too. :D = AX8
    I like the layout of the AX8 I think. = AX8
    Pricing seems to be very close. = AX8 and FX8

I of course will be playing through the Kemper into mixer -out to 2 DXR 10s
    Differences in sound quality? Connectibility? TONE SUCK ?

How is the looper on these things?
    I ask all of this because the price is so close. More advantages to using the FX8 with the Kemper?
    Basically, what will I be losing by getting the AX8?

All of this hinges whether or not Fractal gets off their asses and can release something.
    They already lost a sale because of the insane wait times of their products. That is how/ when I got the
    Kemper.
    Probably a good thing but I don't know from experience.

Maybe Kemper will surprise us with an effects box before Fractal gets around to me this time. :)

Either way I am sure I want their effects.

From what I understand of Kempers background, I figure effects would have been first on the list when stepping into the guitar market.
    He ended up with something fantastic either way.

• The AX8 is a streamlined version of the Axe-FX (fewer features) in a floor unit configuration, the FX8 was designed to work in conjunction with an amp (or Kemper) in a 4-cable setup.

• Thanks but I kind of got that much from reading around.
    I guess I am looking for reasons I may not want to get an Ax8 since they are so closely priced.
    For a very little bit of money I can check out their modeling.

But what would be the negatives of choosing the AX8?

• Anybody know what the differences are besides the AX8 having the amp modeling?

The FX8 has a hard limit of 8 simultaneous effects, whereas the AX8 allows for as many as the CPU can handle. The AX8 can utilize 4CM however the FX8 is optimized for it. The FX8 allows for two instances of most effects, whereas the AX8 generally allows for one instance with the exception of delay, drive, and EQ. A list of differences can be found here.