So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• I understand you have an AX8. Personally, I don't think the stock presets in my Axe FX II XL+ do the unit justice or present it in its most favorable light. They don't really showcase what the unit is truly capable of, in my opinion. However, I can understand why some people might be interested in the stock presets, though.

That said, Fremen's presets sound fantastic from what I've heard and if I get the chance I'd be interested in profiling some of those myself.

• Deadpan sent me a few AX8 profiles so I thought I'd throw up a comparison and see if you can tell which is which. One is a KPA profile from the rig exchange of an EVH Blue channel and the other is the AX8's Blue channel from a 5153. Incidentally, I dinked with the EQ of the AX8 profile a tad. I'm not trying to prove which one is better here, but more to show that the AX8 sounds pretty good.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Both sound pretty good to me, but like the first one better. Love that Avatar btw. George Lynch is my absolute favorite guitar player.

@ Deadpan if you were to do a pack of some sort i'd definitely be interested. I'm currently on the waitlist for an AX8, so maybe would save me some dough. :)

• No offenses to anyone but it did surprise me when I first got the KPA, but I quickly realized that the reason is very simple. There' really no demand to speak off. I came to this realization when I went to the rig exchange and ran across several AXE II profiles. When you compare them to a KPA profile of the same AMP, you quickly realize why most KPA users quickly lose interest in the AXE FX II or any other modeler.

Yeah, I get that, Dean.

Apart from the reason I quoted ahead provided by deadpan, which I agree with, there's also the fact that I and I suspect many others would prefer to be able to retain at the very least our "favourite" sounds from legacy gear. When you combine these favourite models across many users, it's logical to expect that at least the majority of models could be represented on the exchange.

If this were done for the POD line, Helix and all the other "good" modellers out there and the Rigs were uploaded to the exchange, not only would this expand the available tone palette for we Kemperites, but it would serve to attract potential buyers of said units who, once they realise they can have the best of both worlds, would in large part, and IMHO, go Kemper.

Lastly, as you're aware, the playability and "organic feel" of models is often greatly improved when profiled and Kemperised™.

Cheers mate.

:)

The pack wouldn't be for those who have decided in their own mind the Kemper is superior or for those that tried the Axe and moved on. More for those that are curious or have a use for them. The profiles I have done so far are 98-100 percent matches to the Axe stock presets. Whether this is good or bad is up to the player. Initially I didnt give the stock presets a chance as my perception was not ready to accept them. I have to admit that a couple have really surprised me. This is all about capturing the Axe's stock state as accurately as possible at it's curent firmware today.

This is exactly what I'd assumed many would have done before parting with their older gear, deadpan.

For one thing, there's no requirement to set up and refine complex signal chains / preamps / mic choices and positioning etc. IMHO, one should be able to get away with simply hooking the unit concerned up to the Kemper, running the profiling process and, theoretically at least, skipping refinement. The peeps at Kemper did say quite a while back that the refining procedure shouldn't be necessary anymore in most cases. I agree this approach wouldn't be perfect, but when time vs value is a consideration, I'd, well, consider it.

This way, you should be able to run through the Axe presets pretty quickly, the only "delays" being, as you suggested, changing IRs where necessary, along with tagging of the Kemper Profiles in short-form to be embellished afterwards using RM and of course the less-than-a-minute alien-invasion process, which, unlike with a "real" amp and cab, you'd be able to run at 3AM 'cause it wouldn't shake the room... or the neighbourhood.

These are the things I had in mind, and they apply to profiling all modellers AFAICT, and because of this "mindset" I do feel they should be free. In an ideal world, there'd be many contributors and we'd see the full gamut of modelling profiles on the exchange. Again, I know it's not gonna be perfectly-accurate all the time without any refining being done, but honestly, I, and I suspect many, would be grateful to be able to access profiles of all the stock amps, tone knobs at generic, best-for-most positions, perhaps in a couple of cab and mic flavours if available on the original units, for all the modellers out there. We'd be limited only by the variety of modellers that've been made and the range of amps represented.

Now I'm going to scoot off to bed (the couch) as it's after 9AM and I'm not sure I'd be up for the slamming I half anticipate receiving. At the very least, I've got this off my chest, and it's something I've been meaning to start a thread about since day dot. Hope I didn't offend anyone, especially you, deadpan, as I do believe you deserve credit for your efforts so far and also for playing a part in possibly getting the ball rolling, so to speak, when it comes to getting folks off their backsides and profiling their gear before ditching it.

Lastly, please don't take this as discouragement from your proposed commercial effort, deadpan. If you want to take the time to achieve that 98% + accuracy you spoke of and put some serious time into it, and if nobody else is bothering to capture the entire unit, so to speak, then I can see the argument for charging for it. The gist of my argument here is that bread-and-butter profiling of "default", best-for-most, 12 o' clock-style (where one attempts to deviate as little as possible from the central positions of each knob) setups for each amp will not only be hugely time-saving, but just might be exactly what we need. Where a profile obviously falls short, we'd still have, as you suggested, the Kemper's ability to tweak our way towards what we're after...

Thank you for indulging me, deadpan and anyone else who took the time to read this.

G'night all!

• The gist of my argument here is that bread-and-butter profiling of "default", best-for-most, 12 o' clock-style setups for each amp will not only be hugely time-saving, but just might be exactly what we need. Where a profile obviously falls short, we'd still have, as you suggested, the Kemper's ability to tweak our way towards what we're after...

The problem is that defaulting everything to 12:00 O'clock often sounds like shit, and I'm not sure the KPA could salvage it via tweaking.

• The problem is that defaulting everything to 12:00 O'clock often sounds like shit, and I'm not sure the KPA could salvage it via tweaking.

You're 100% correct of course.

In practise, one might have to raise the treble to 3 o'clock and drop the bass to 9 or 10 o'clock, which is exactly what I did when creating my HD500 presets years ago. I wound up with patches that could accommodate practically any guitar with little or no tweaking. This is the sort of approach I was referring to. I said, "12 o' clock-style", by which I meant a reasonably "central", best-for-most approach.

I'll edit the post now to more accurately describe this. Thanks man.

EDIT: Well, it turns out that I did in fact say this when describing the approach for the second time, in the last paragraph:

The gist of my argument here is that bread-and-butter profiling of "default", best-for-most, 12 o' clock-style setups for each amp will not only be hugely time-saving, but just might be exactly what we need.

I just added the additional description, "(where one attempts to deviate as little as possible from the central positions of each knob)" for good measure in case I wasn't clear enough.

Thank you again, ColdFrixion. Your point is obviously valid anyway, but IMHO it lies outside the bounds of what I was proposing. You're referring to chasing that 100%, whereas I was only putting forward a compromise that wouldn't involve nearly as much effort, one that if applied to multiple emulators, might serve to provide some instant grateful-titty-fixation and indeed creative options for we, the Kemper masses.

Take care bud.

• Deadpan sent me a few AX8 profiles so I thought I'd throw up a comparison and see if you can tell which is which. One is a KPA profile from the rig exchange of an EVH Blue channel and the other is the AX8's Blue channel from a 5153. Incidentally, I dinked with the EQ of the AX8 profile a tad. I'm not trying to prove which one is better here, but more to show that the AX8 sounds pretty good.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What's the name of this profile in Rig Exchange?

• Here is a comparison of the Axe Plexi to the profile of the Axe Plexi. I switch back and forth every 2 seconds or so, all dynamics are with the pick not volume. You can hear the volume drop out a little when is switch while picking harder.