So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• Thanks, I'm still hanging out here, but but have been dedicating most of my free time working on putting a guitar together, sanding measuring, soldering..I've been reading and enjoying all your posts mate.

Awesome!

You're well, busy, and dare I say it, mildly entertained! :D

Great to know, Dean.

• @Dean_R are you building a guitar?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little test with my attempt at a JTM45 sounding profile:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• @Dean_R are you building a guitar?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little test with my attempt at a JTM45 sounding profile:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I accidentally used the word build which is a stretch :D I just bought the parts from different places and put them together. It's a lot of work and require some skills to get drill the holes and wire the electronics. It's finally finished but I'm not happy with the finish so I'm considering stripping it and restraining it. It's a Mahogany body with three humbucker. It's the anti-strat that looks and feels like a strat but sounds closer to a less Paul. It plays really good and it's very light!! Here's a picture of it.
    [Blocked Image: http://s32.postimg.org/lni543e11/IMG_20160507_141007415.jpg]

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• :) Thanks Nicky! I respect you're opinion that I'm keeping it as is. Phew ..that's a relief not having to re-sand and refinish!

Deadpan:
    you have improved significantly, I did try your free profiles and you definitely have a knack to the profiling process, but forgive me for being candid brother, and don't forget that this is just my personal opinion, for commercial purposes I believe you're better off renting real amps and profiling them, because I would personally pay for that, and the AXE profiles can be used as the free giveaways. I'll just leave it at that.

• From what I can see the finish looks really good to me, as well.

Thanks, the camera hides some imperfections. I got lazy and didn't want to do the steel wool between the oil finish coats, that might be a quick fix. I appreciate you chiming in.

Deadpan sorry for the off-topic.

• Yes, sorry deadpan, as I'm going to respond to Dean about his guitar. He's kinda on-topic 'cause after being a key player in the thread and then going missing for a while, I said, "... haven't seen you around these here parts for a while and have been wondering how you are", and you asked, "Are you building a guitar?". In effect, we invited the discursion.

:) Thanks Nicky! I respect you're opinion that I'm keeping it as is. Phew ..that's a relief not having to re-sand and refinish!

You give me far too much credit, Dean!

Mate, I can relate to the situation. I was lazy when applying multiple coats of Danish Oil™ to the hefty speaker shelf I had to build for my Opals. It took 3 months to make due to the fact that I don't use heating and at 10-12ºC it doesn't dry easily (warns on the tin that it in fact won't at those temps). Given the extraordinary amount of time I had to wait between applications, I want to kick myself every time I look at it now for not having done the appropriate sanding between stints.

The logical "solution" for both of us is to forget about it and remind ourselves that only we are truly aware of the "flaws" of our work, and that the lessons learned can and should be applied to future projects; that way they at least count for something - this approach justifies not revisiting old ground.

OK... back to topic in the strict sense of the term - deadpan, the pattern of Dean's and my offering our opinion that you're continuing to improve, continues...

• I did the same thing myself and the kempers profiling wasn't even close to the original AFX's tone and feel.

This experience along with my profiling experience makes me question the Kempers ability to accurately capture a sound. :/

That's odd...I have profiled both the ultra and the II and never had a problem getting the majority of mine close (basic amp/cab etc)
    Only issues I had was when there was a boost in front and with the gate off the noise would be too high therefore I'd have to approximate it with a boost in the kemper.

I recently got an AX8 as well....can't say the initial presets were too inspiring but I haven't messed with the unit too much yet.

I'm actually regretting not trying the Helix first, not knocking the AX8 but I've used fractal products in the past and I'm kinda keen to hear what Line 6 might have brought to the table.

I just wish Kemper would put out a floor based unit :cursing:

• Hi guys im late to the party here. Deadpan sent me some profiles to try about a month ago and ive only just got round to trying them. I was sent Marshall profiles from his AxeFX which sounded quite good. Still love my TAF JCM800 from the Marshall pack, been using them alot recently while in the studio. I'm sure these ones that Deadpan sent me will come in handy at some point soon.

Thanks buddy for sending them over :)

• I use unbalanced instrument cables.

Make sure the instrument pad on the Ax8 is set to -12 otherwise you may get clipping on the input during profiling.

Many thanks - do you know if balanced cables are better for profilling use? Or if they work at all? Or maybe even if they are not recommended to be used for profilling?
    Just asking - I really am completely ignorant on this and am just curious.

• Many thanks - do you know if balanced cables are better for profilling use? Or if they work at all? Or maybe even if they are not recommended to be used for profilling?
    Just asking - I really am completely ignorant on this and am just curious.

I don't believe any of the 1/4 ins or out are stereo so a stereo cable would not have a benefit. A good shielded cable is best.

• Hi guys im late to the party here. Deadpan sent me some profiles to try about a month ago and ive only just got round to trying them. I was sent Marshall profiles from his AxeFX which sounded quite good. Still love my TAF JCM800 from the Marshall pack, been using them alot recently while in the studio. I'm sure these ones that Deadpan sent me will come in handy at some point soon.

Thanks buddy for sending them over :)

Welcome @Raoul23 ! Thanks for giving them a go!

• Thanks for the kind words!

Here is another sample of the new Marshall JTM45 sounds:

• Deadpan was kind enough to send me one of the JTM45 profiles to test. Below is a sound clip. I had to lower the treble to -0.6 and presence to -1.5 in the Stack EQ, but for rhythm work, it sounds pretty nice. Tested using my Charvel GG sig and new Custom Shop Strat alternately, going through the different pickup positions starting on the bridge :)