Kemper Remote resets /reeboots when I save

• Hi

Nope. I've used this ethernet cable a couple of days without any problems. Today I started to fiddle about with Lock/Paste on Stomps for different rigs and it was then the remote stated to faint everytime I saved w rig....

I'll check with the original cable and see if it behaves properly.

• Hi, done this without any issues before but today the remote started to reboot every time I saved a profile after editing.

It is very likely that you're using an insufficient cable that is incapable to transport the power to run the Remote. Use the original cable supplied with your Remote or try to switch it with a different one.

• It is very likely that you're using an insufficient cable that is incapable to transport the power to run the Remote. Use the original cable supplied with your Remote or try to switch it with a different one.

What kind of cable do you recommend as a backup/replacement? Sometimes 30 feet is just too much. ;)

• I believe any CAT6 or CAT7 would work well. OTOH, my understanding is how long the cable is in relation with its ability to not attenuate the signal.

At home I use any 1.5 m cable I took from an old router.
    When I rehears I use this one: works perfectly, 10 feet are more than enough for my needs, and OTOH I very rarely had the opportunity to play in a room where I would take advantage of the original cable LOL

• I use a 3m cable I got with my Variax Guitar. (with Neutric Protection)
    Live I want my Kemper close to me, so the longer original cable is to uncomfortable.

BTW Cat 7 would have a different plug as far I know.

• Not really, that is it's not implemented in specs.
    OTOH, if the one I linked works...

Actually I never have seen a Cat 7 cabel with RJ-45 connectors .
    But there is no technical reason why it should not be possible - as you shown in your example ;)
    Your cable has AWG 26 -> 0,4050 mm Diameter. As you use short distance this cabel is thick enough.

Kemper propose cabel with AWG 24 -> 0.51054 mm (mainly CAT5)
    The limit seems not be the frequency (I don't think that Kemper use a high speed protocol ) it seems more the current.
    This explains the limitation of the length depending on wire diameter.

Quote Reference manual Profiler Remote 117
    The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length.
    AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.
    Unquote

• Hello Timo,

The same thing is happening to me. I just got my remote a few days ago. I only have the original cable that came with it attached and it is firmly in place and hasn't been moved yet. I did experience this bug several times when saving. Since I was cycling through my performances and tweaking the settings and assigning stomps to the footswitches. It did this to me three times. What I eventually started doing was clicking the Store button really slowly. I'm used to hitting that Store button three times pretty fast (since it requires 3 clicks to save a performance). When I did it slowly, it didn't come back again.

But I can say for sure that this does happen. It only happened to me under two conditions: 1- Assigning a stomp to a footswitch on the remote, then 2- Storing the patch right after by clicking Store rapidly 3 times.

Hope that helps. If you want I can report it to support. I'm a little concerned because sometimes I tweak things at gigs and have to click that store button really fast so I can play the next part or song without missing a beat. If the remote goes dead (it takes a long time to reboot), I'm in trouble!

J

• Kemper propose cabel with AWG 24 -> 0.51054 mm (mainly CAT5)
    The limit seems not be the frequency (I don't think that Kemper use a high speed protocol ) it seems more the current.
    This explains the limitation of the length depending on wire diameter.

Yep, that makes sense. Thanks Harry :)

• Hope that helps. If you want I can report it to support. I'm a little concerned because sometimes I tweak things at gigs and have to click that store button really fast so I can play the next part or song without missing a beat. If the remote goes dead (it takes a long time to reboot), I'm in trouble!

You definitely should contact support!

• This happened to me too. Also, when storing a performance the LED would go flashing and there would be huge lag until I got 'Stored' message. The KPA even went unresponsive in that LED blinking mode and I had to reboot the amp. I performed System Reset and it seemed to solve this lag and the remote rebooting issue. If they happen again, I will contact Support.

• Okay, I submitted my version to support. Yes, there was a huge lag when saving the first time it happened but it eventually just rebooted the remote and all was fine after that--until I tried to save again.

For me it seemed to be tied to assigning the footswitches to a stomp slot but maybe that is a coincidence. The only thing that has changed in my setup is adding the remote.

John

• I had this happen during rehearsal Thurs. night. I adjusted the output volume of a performance slot and then saved. The save was quite slow and I turned around to see the remote was rebooting.

I've had lots of reboots while I'm practicing and have Rig Manager running and suspected they are related to sync issues with RM. However, I didn't even have a computer with me when this happened.

Another cause people have been theorizing is using cables that are too light gauge to carry the power to the remote. In this case, I was using the Kemper cable.