Questions for those using In-Ears

• Hi guys - I play in pretty cool and hard driving church band and we've recently begun using IEMs to reduce stage noise, and also rolled out a new digital mixing board (Behringer X32). We are a month in and fighting sound quality issues... Instruments and vocals sound pretty thin, which I know is in part to using ear buds without a full tonal range. Vocalists, especially, are having issues with out-of-whack EQ issues. I've watched a bunch of videos on the X32 and understand the system, but this IEM thing is a whole new realm for all of us and will take some adjustment. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

• IEMs were a total disappointment to me until I got custom ear-pieces.

I am also a M32/X32 owner/user (Midas M32 platform is equivalent to the X32 except from upmarket mic-pre/converters and other hardware). Your mixing console will primarily be dialled in for the amp/speaker rig that is used. With a modern and fairly linear speaker rig you should be able to get decent monitor audio from the same mixer. An older PA-rig may skew the mix a lot. There is a reason why IEM transmitters have tone-controls, and you can compensate with PEQ on each monitor bus. You can even insert vurtual 31-band GEQs on the monitor busses. If that doesn't cut it you may have to invest in an extra mixer to handle monitoring. The X32/M32 architecture will let multiple mixers share signals from the same inputs without analog splitters.

Another problem is when you have multiple people with different ear-pieces sharing the signal from one transmitter (i.e share the same mix). The audio-characteristics vary a lot between earbuds.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• A good set of IEM's are very important. My band uses an Allen and Heath QU-16 same kind of thing as the X32 with decent IEM's and the X32 you should be able to get a great sound

Agree.

Also note that you've got ample opportunities for tweaking the mix on these digital mixers while playing back raw multi-track-recordings from a DAW (virtual soundcheck). Make a recording during practise or performance and you can sit on your own for hours working to improve the mix for the next session.

• -Stereo vs. Mono: If possible use a Stereo mix. This makes a huge difference
    -Headphones: As said the headphones are important. The ones that come with the InEar systems are always useless. But I think u don't need custom made or top High end ones. In Our Band we also use X32 and Shure SE315 and SE535 Headphones and are happy.
    -The rest is the mix.

• I have interest as well! With our Church Band I'm using some 1964 V3 molded IEM's. However, it seems a bit "boxy" or sterile at times and often isolated from others at practice. I'm wondering if I should invest in better molded IEM's like V6S or upgrade to 6 or more drivers in a "Universal" non molded like a 1964 Adel, or something else?

• I have interest as well! With our Church Band I'm using some 1964 V3 molded IEM's. However, it seems a bit "boxy" or sterile at times and often isolated from others at practice. I'm wondering if I should invest in better molded IEM's like V6S or upgrade to 6 or more drivers in a "Universal" non molded like a 1964 Adel, or something else?

Your V3 will be plenty good enough. Make sure you are using ambient mics and blend them into the mix also add a reverb to the whole in your ears and subtly blend that into. This will make a world of difference

• its very important to use ambience miss in the mix to get a natural feeling
    in the sound
    x 32 is def capable to get a good i.e. mix sound, don't believe when people say its a behringer
    this can't be good
    def its a good desk for the money with all possibilities to get a good i.e. sound
    as said before the molds you use must be good
    in the lower range try shure 315 or UE triple fi

• Need some ear-plugs, Our band uses 'in ear 'and everything is allready there except a good set of ear-plugs.
    I don't want to get custom molded ear peaces, I can't stand the vaccuum feeling- hearing nothing around me anymore,
    I tried cheap Stagg Earplugs, but they are is terrible, way to much mids. So Are there "flat"not colored ear plugs that give me the same sound as my Yamaha DXR10's perhaps? I am looking at the Shure Se535's or something similar Or should I get

Sennheiser Pro 400 ? Does anyone have experience with those please?

Edited 3 times, last by Dorrus ().

• The number one problem (I find) with IEMs is using cheap, what I'll call "Amazon quality" phones. Fuzzy, thin.....horrible sound. Poor sealing for ambient sound....etc. If all the gear is decent, and it sounds like it is, the headphones are the most likely culprit.

I had to use a cheap set for rehearsal and the first two songs when my Shure SE215s finally broke. The replacements were a set of KZ-brand, which some say are great....but I was horrified. Thin, tinny, screechy.....just "Screw this....". The pastor's message started, I walked off stage, drove to the local Guitar Center and bought new ones. I didn't really want to spend the money, but...just so much "ewe". I was the back for the response set. (I know....not everyone has a GC 10 minutes from where they are.)

You do not need to throw hundreds at IEMs to get a good sound. Shure SE215 IEMs sound better than any ~$100 set has a right to. They're also extremely durable. That one set had lasted 8+ years and I never found a reason to buy better. $400 for the Sennheisers is a ton of coin to drop, hoping you get it right. You can't return IEMS once opened. At least not around here.

If you don't have room mics, or don't have them in your mix, that will help. But its a much lower priority compared to quality IEMS. I'll mix in the room mics to give a more natural in-the-room tonality and combat the 'boxy' feel. It's not perfect....but neither is a live stage, blaring monitors and a compromise mix to cover the musicians and singers. Pick your poison.

HTH a little.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche