Multiple inputs audio interface on budget?

• I need some advice because I will have to record some kids bands and choirs in a school and will need a multiple inputs (the more is better) audio interface to do the job. Some mic inputs and instrument/line inputs. Of course the school don't provide a real budget so what would be your suggestions? Tascam have a very cheap line like the US-16X08 or US-20X20 but I don't know what it worths...

I will use Cubase SX 7.5 and a i7 computer on Windows 7.

• The Lexicon Omega is the cheapest multiple input audio interface (with more than two inputs) at $129 street price. I've never used it. Other than that, you're looking in the $250 range for a USB interface that has more than two inputs. The Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 for $249 street is a good option (as long as you only use 2 mics, as it has two mic preamps, but you can plug in other instruments in 2 more inputs.) I have a bigger focusrite which has the same mic pres and their stuff is very dependable and good. You'll have more options if you look in the used market

• Well my focus rite preamps have worked well on both condenser and dynamic mics, and are fairly clean as long as you're not cranking them up all the way- which you won't unless you have a really garbage mic.

• Well my focus rite preamps have worked well on both condenser and dynamic mics, and are fairly clean as long as you're not cranking them up all the way- which you won't unless you have a really garbage mic.

heh... Mics requiring high gain has NOTHING to do with mic quality.
    Especially my SM7b doesn't get the juice it needs from my focusrite. Ribbon mics are almost always the same story.
    I realise this is not necessarily the kinds of mics people have in the locker - just something to watch out for.

• I agree, but then folks usually shopping for budget audio interfaces aren't plugging ribbon mics into them. They're often folks that are plugging radio shack mics in :) especially music teachers on school budgets.and thus most mics they're getting their hands on of not complete junk fall into the category of not needing crazy amount of gain in a mic pre

• Thank you guys for your answers!

I will use some nice Shure SM137 for the choir, an AKG C4000B for some percussions and acoustic instruments and a lot of Seinheiser E835 for soloist and back vocals.

I need a bigger interface than the ones you suggested because I will do some multi tracking but will need to record several students in the same time.

It is why I thank about the Tascam US-08X16 the price is OK but I don't know about the quality:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com…16x08-usb-audio-interface

• No experience with Tascam, but If decent it's a good price for so many built in mic pres plus musicians friend has a 15% of discount for one item over $200, so you should be able to get it for 255 after discount if you use pres2016 discount code at checkout. Should work fine for school recordings
    I just ordered software with that discount