That darn 'bare' RJ45 connector keeps breaking tabs >: Anyone retro fitted a female Ethercon to the Profiler chassis?

• Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie with my Kemper & Remote. My issue is that I really like the Ethercon connector into the remote however, the standard RJ45 connection into the Profiler chassis is not road-worthy and it is a hassle to replace the RJ45 plug when the tab ultimately breaks off - like it will or does in my case!

I was wondering if anyone has retro fitted a female Ethercon connection into the chassis which would then allow us to use ethercon protected plugs on both ends of the remote cable which would toughen up this weakness in the connection.

My idea would be to install a Neutrik NE8FDV-Y110-B Ethercon D-Series 110 Punch Down connector into the profiler chassis and then cover the exposed RJ45 cable end with a Neutrik NE8MC Ethercon Cable Connector for use with preassembled RJ45 connectors. Has anyone tried this mod? :whistling:

• Update:
    I bought the short kabel with male and female connectors becouse of my worry, that the plug at the Kemper is not stable enough for every days connecting and disconnecting.
    The cable almost cost nothing, but a damage at the Kemper cost time for repair.(And more mony after warranty)
    The plug at Remote is more robust.

• Thanks for the feedback guys; I guess I'm not the only one concerned about snapped tabs!
    I have a toaster and I take it in and out of the green case all the time so I can't easily use a rack solution but I agree that for those that can, lightbox had a good suggestion.

An immediate - short term fix is that cute clip suggested by TheWolf2103 or the patch cable which viabcroce suggested so I'll probably order one of these solutions for now.

But, I am really after a permanent fix that I won't have to worry about down the line. I'll open up my KPA tonight and see what's inside there. If the current female Ethernet connector is PCB mounted I may reconsider my efforts (even though Neutrik makes a solution - http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-…fRID=055MRN4MYA14BQN3VTQ8) but if it's wired in, then I may have a go and report back.

Don't you think this is something that Kemper should do in the next version? :thumbup:

• Definitely! I happened to wonder a few times why they did not do it from the beginning, considering how fragile an RJ connector is.

Another think I had thought about was the implementation of metal plugs (and metal socks) (aluminium?).
    Not sure how much this would have affected the KPA's final price tho.

• Ha, you got me! :D

Good thinkin, but you'd ned a way to connect the ethercon plate you retrofit with the internal ethernet line.
    You might want to use the small window at the bottom of the cavity. Of course you are aware you'd void the warranty by opening the unit? :)

• Having experience with a broken tab on original connector, my question is, If the replacement male RJ connector is not shielded (like the original equipment), is there any other risk besides interference noise affecting the remote functions? I am in a bind for gigs tonite and no close replacement avail. I have replaced the original with a standard RJ Male but, no shielding......Help Thanks.

• Having experience with a broken tab on original connector, my question is, If the replacement male RJ connector is not shielded (like the original equipment), is there any other risk besides interference noise affecting the remote functions? I am in a bind for gigs tonite and no close replacement avail. I have replaced the original with a standard RJ Male but, no shielding......Help Thanks.

I have used a short (and very very low quality) 12ft unshielded ethernet cable at home when recording many times without any issues. Not sure I'd trust it as a full time gig cable, but so far so good.

The original cable has a broken tab on the KPA end but still works. If I use that cable I just run it underneath the Kemper so its kind of pinned down and cant easily wiggle loose. Not a great solution though. I agree the little consumer grade securing clip on the KPA end of the original cable is kind of garbage. Think mine broke off within a month. :(

For shows now I'm using a short 1 ft ethernet patch cable into a PoE injector (to be able to run ethernet length longer than 30ft) then out to a good quality 65ft ethernet cable that powers the remote. Have had no issues with this setup.

• Thanks Blob, I am using the original cable, just noticed that the replacement connector (male) is not the shielded one that came with remote. I gonna give it a try. Thanks again.