Ethics and kemper! henning pauly with his axe in the throat

• Right, and as with amps in general, a tone that's created using a guitar with Humbuckers, for example, will sound as it was originally intended when using a guitar with Humbuckers. Is that specific to the profiling process? No, though it's a factor to consider in the reproduction of a particular snapshot of an amp as it was originally intended to sound.

I agree, but your statement was still wrong:
    > There's also the issue of the guitar and type of pickups used to create each one of those profiles.

The pickups are NOT used to create the profile - meaning they do not have an influence on the profile - which is what you want. Different pickups will sound differently using the same profile.

• I agree, but your statement was still wrong:
    > There's also the issue of the guitar and type of pickups used to create each one of those profiles.

The pickups are NOT used to create the profile - meaning they do not have an influence on the profile - which is what you want. Different pickups will sound differently using the same profile.

I clarified my comment by stating it wasn't specific to the profiling process.

• +1. guitars and pickups don't influence the profile.
    Also, we can make Direct amp profiles, without any mics. (or a full studio profile).
    It's easy to tell the difference between a photo vs a film, but a profile can sound identical to the amp it profiles and users can fail A-B blindtests when comparing. Many consider that a copy of the sound, since it sounds and feels the same.
    It's impossible to play every combination of settings on an amp at once, only one sound at a time is what counts.
    Most only use a few favorite sweetspot settings on their amps, and profile those.
    Mic + speaker settings and placement is much more intricate and allow almost endless combinations.

• On the whole, an amp is more than a single slice of its settings, just as a 4 minute song is more than a 2 second clip.

• Still, it's only one setting possible at once when playing an amp, just like the profile of that amp setting.
    Both the amp and the profile can be seen as photographs.
    One difference is that the Kemper profile photograph can be tweaked in ways the amp can't. Sort of adding photoshop to the photo if needed. A great but muddy sounding amp can be tighter with a tweak on the profile.
    Many amps have limited eq settings, the kemper gives more eq options.
    A user maybe wish the amp could have a totally clean sound, the profile can fix that.

• +1. guitars and pickups don't influence the profile.

they don't influence the profile in direct way, but indirectly they do from my experience. Setting up the amp for profiling with single coil is different than that with humbucker. I noticed from profiling an amp when I play back using the same guitar I used for profiling, the Profile sounds and feels ideal using the same guitar, which is expected using real world amps also. Most profiles sound good and it might be negligible, but I believe if you profile your own amp or the specific amp using a specific guitar, ideally you will get the best results with that same guitar in the same manner you don't setup one amp the same with a strat or a less paul.

The next step for the evolution of profling would be profiling the amp tone and drive controls also, because it's not the same using the onboard EQ, that's why I'm a big advocate of implementing or adding the tone stacks of many popular amps. I think that would help tremendously

• Still, it's only one setting possible at once when playing an amp, just like the profile of that amp setting.
    Both the amp and the profile can give you photographs.
    One difference is that the Kemper profile photograph can be tweaked in ways the amp can't. Sort of adding photoshop to the photo if needed. A great but muddy sounding amp can be tighter with a tweak on the profile.
    Many amps have limited eq settings, the kemper gives more eq options.
    A user maybe wish the amp could have a totally clean sound, the profile can fix that.

Undoubtedly, the KPA offers a tremendous amount of versatility after the fact. At the end of the day, a profile is still producing a single slice of an amps settings. Is that a criticism? Not in the least.

• +1
    A huge amount of profiles would be needed to have all the photos from the amp.
    Thankfully most players only use the few good sounding sweetspot settings on their amps so the whole photoalbum is never needed.
    It's the huge variation of cab speaker + mic placement settings and combinations that generate most profiles. The same thing occurs when only recording real amps. Move the mic again, test another mic, another cab...

• It's easy to tell the difference between a photo vs a film, but a profile can sound identical to the amp it profiles and users can fail A-B blindtests when comparing. Many consider that a copy of the sound, since it sounds and feels the same. It's impossible to play every combination of settings on an amp at once, only one sound at a time is what counts.

This brings it to the point in my understanding.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• After all the writing about this topic, in the end, whether you like it or not, selling profiles, copying your own amp or a friend's, or whatever, does appear to be legal.

My suggestion is that if you find it reprehensible, sell your profiler, and go back to another form of amplification. Meanwhile, I have better things to clutter my mind with, like trying to understand how to use the profiler, being the computer illiterate that I am. :)

• After all the writing about this topic, in the end, whether you like it or not, selling profiles, copying your own amp or a friend's, or whatever, does appear to be legal.

My suggestion is that if you find it reprehensible, sell your profiler, and go back to another form of amplification. Meanwhile, I have better things to clutter my mind with, like trying to understand how to use the profiler, being the computer illiterate that I am. :)

Yo! I second that! Just go do it bro' !!!! :D