Rig Exchange and Forums

• Hello folks. I'm brand new to the Kemper Profiler and after browsing around for a week I have a couple of suggestions for improvement to the Rig Exchange and the Forum. If it is inappropriate to post this here, please feel free to delete this thread.

For the forum, I think it would be excellent to add a search function to the top of the right sidebar.

As for the Rig Exchange, it is awesome! Since it is pretty full, I think it would be great to add a way to limit a search by Amp Manufacturer. It would be nice to just be able to browse only through Fender Guitar Amps for instance. This may be an issue, however, as I do see some profiles uploaded with an amp profile of "VOX-ToneLabSE" - which as we all know is an effects unit. Possibly, effects units could all be lumped into one "effect units" category -- which would be very interesting to browse in and of itself!

Bass profiles and guitar profiles could also be separated.

As for sorting, it would be helpful to be able to sort by 2 more parameters: 1) The number of reviews a profile has, and 2) The amount of times a profile has been downloaded (which could be shown as well).

• I think it would be great to add a way to limit a search by Amp Manufacturer. It would be nice to just be able to browse only through Fender Guitar Amps for instance

If you use Rig Manager, you can sort by any tag/column. (if you right click on the columns, you can make it display all rig tags). That is a great way to look for specific amps.

• IMO the real issue with RE is that it has to rely on users' tagging, which is not consistent nor coherent. This defeats any potential improvements in the querying methods...

• Thanks paults, ahh - the search was hiding under my nav bar.

That is a good point viabcroce - you can't control how folks name things unless you restrict naming conventions to a set of fixed options.

Thank you for the welcome whippinpost91850!

Based on this input, I guess overall my posting is sort of a waste of space here on the forum, so if a mod wants to delete this please feel free.

• Thanks everyone. Much appreciated! Somewhere I read a comment that people on this forum we snobs.

From reading through some threads and the response I got here, I'd have to strongly disagree - everyone here seems cool to me. Also, very experienced, professional, and knowledgeable.

This seems like a very adult forum, which I suppose is rare these days.

I don't even have the profiler in my possession yet, just bought the non-powered head used for $1,400 last week. Will arrive on Tuesday. The seller un-registered it and gave me the serial number so I could register and have access to the software/rig exchange, and the private forum.

Have not heard it live yet, and made the purchase based on research & YouTube. I'm curious though - with 7,000+ available profiles in the rig exchange, is there a problem with addiction to profile hoarding? ;)

Seems like there would be, as that's an insane number!

• It's a pretty mellow place, really. A few people get pretty "enthusiastic" about things, but mostly it's laid back and polite, with just enough humor to keep it interesting.

The Rig Exchange is a funny thing. Your first temptation will be to start at the top and start previewing EVERYTHING. Eventually you'll get tired of it, and you'll learn to be more selective about what you preview. Some of the profiles are REALLY good, most are decent to average, and some are pretty bad.

• Have not heard it live yet, and made the purchase based on research & YouTube. I'm curious though - with 7,000+ available profiles in the rig exchange, is there a problem with addiction to profile hoarding?

Seems like there would be, as that's an insane number!

HAH! Addiction? Nah... More like psychotic obsession!! In November of last year I had bypass surgery and, although I was planning on retiring from the straight world in December anyway, my time has since been my own. Here's to a lifetime of Sundays!! However... I find that I'm suffering from an acute case of what I have named "Wheedlus Rigitosis". I have previewed EVERY rig on the exchange, purchased a huge pile of commercial rigs (all of the professional profilers have some awesome stuff available!), downloaded whatever I found in the forums (thanks in particular to djemass for his Mesa collection and M.Pausio for his FANTASTIC set of WAY COOL Teisco's, etc.) and I now have over 10,000 rigs to sort. These have been reorganized into branded folders (275 folders, in fact) and I am now culling those with a half dozen different guitars trying to get to a personal collection that I can use for anything that comes my way.

Downside? My wife refers to my Kemper as my mistress...
    Upside? I haven't played this much since I was a teenager and I'm having more fun than humans should be allowed to have!! Anything that keeps a guitar in your hands is a good thing, right?

Best piece of gear I've ever purchased and yes, this is the sharpest community of users I've ever been around. If I wind up needing therapy I'm sending the bill to Christoph!

Hats of to all of you!!

Fats

Art is not a competition

• Thanks Frodebro, Vaughnfats, Raoul23, and Zapman.

Zapman - tone snobs are the kind I was hoping for! The sounds I've heard and the engineering/theory behind the Kemper are what attracted me to it. Seeing Muse live recently and hearing they used one didn't hurt either. Seems like all those really thick, rich sounds I was looking for as a kid but could never afford are now possible.

Vaughnfats - I'm just an amateur as far as playing goes. Recently picked up my guitar after not playing for a couple years, plugged into my Fender Hot Rod Deville and been messing around with my acoustic as well. Also took my Boss GT10 out of it's box and just kind of couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Some of the effects were really good/interesting if set up right, not so much the distortions - but overall the sound wasn't to my taste. The last rig I owned and really liked the sound of was an old ADA MP1 coupled with a TC Electronic G-Major, but I sold it 5 years ago after cleaning out some gear. Now I'm just looking to simplify/minimize to cut down on complexity, the minimalist approach.

I look forward to hearing at bunch of those rigs on the exchange, maybe 5000. My wife is cool and loves music, but already told me - "you'd better practice now after spending so much money..." Hey that's better than some wives would say! So now I'm practicing, I'm practicing...