Restoring All Factory Rigs & Reducing Fizz

• Hello folks.

Received my very slightly used Kemper Profiler today (non powered version). I'm trying to get it to a factory new internal state so that I can begin the messing around.

So far, shutting off the cabs globally and running it into my 2x12 Fender Amp, I like the sound! I am about to go S/PDIF out to a MOTU 828MKii and some KRK Rokit 5's to see how that is in comparison.

The preamp is running firmware 3.2.1.11625, which looks like the latest. I did a full reset/initialization as outlined in the wiki (turn on in tuner mode, hold softkey 1). I reset the global settings just to be sure as well.

It loaded up 337 rigs, and I noticed that the full factory list contains over 500 on the wiki, and seems even longer in this list: Factory Rig Reference List (revised December 18th, 2015)

This is the one on the wiki, in case any other new guys find this thread: http://www.wikpa.org/Factory_Rigs

Did I do something wrong or is there an additional step I need to take to load the full factory set? Thanks.

• Anthony, if you want to start from scratch apart from the reset you should
    - delete all the rigs from your profiler and store them on your computer for safety rerasons using RigManager
    - after that you can retrieve the current factory content from the system menu in your profiler (you did this already if I got you right?).
    - additional Kemper rig packs can be loaded from the Kemper site, including legacy rigs that are no longer present in the current factory rigs.

That said, IMO it's much more convenient to do all the rig browsing from RigManager in the first place.

HTH.

• Thank you Ingolf.

I did delete all the rigs from the RigManager during my process as well (without making a backup!).

If older rigs are no longer included, that explains it. 337 must be the correct number then. Thanks again.

• That makes sense. I'm finding that I do not want most of them in there anyway.

There are a handful I like, but it seems like tweaking is needed to get some sounds I'll find useful. Surprised at how fuzz filled some of the sounds are, maybe it's my monitors but the machine seemed to sound better going into my amp.

• That makes sense. I'm finding that I do not want most of them in there anyway.

There are a handful I like, but it seems like tweaking is needed to get some sounds I'll find useful. Surprised at how fuzz filled some of the sounds are, maybe it's my monitors but the machine seemed to sound better going into my amp.

did you turn the cabinets back on when listening through your monitor?

• paults, yes I did.

But no, viabcroce -- I did not give pure cab and definition a shot yet. Will try that tomorrow for sure. Thank you both for the pointers.

Still have to get into the reference manual more deeply.

• Another big thanks.

After messing around with pure cab and the definition level it makes a huge difference out of my cheap KRK Rokit5 monitors. This evening I was able to get some pretty nice sounds and discovered that sinmix makes some very interesting rigs. Also experimented at the other end with a nice, clean, reggae patch. Dialed in some reverb and delay, adjusted the eq, and it got pretty sweet. Everything just seems to need a slight tweak and you get a different sound.

Pure cab is definitely an interesting effect. It works well on some rigs, while others sound better without it and are noticeably more tube-like with pure cab off. I guess in the end it depends on how the amp was captured all the way from settings, to mic placement, to levels. I notice that there are some rigs that I just cannot get to de-fizz to a level that's usable. I assume that the handling of this continue to evolve in time with software experiments/updates.

Also, pure cab, combined with definition, and space effect made playing through headphones a completely different experience than it was on my first try.

After awhile of messing around with patches through my monitors and looking for the next rig that sounded more interesting than the last, I think I actually started to get used to the tone being decent to the point where I began taking it for granted that I was playing my guitar through a pair of monitors and not an amp. That in and of itself is pretty cool. Can't say I love the machine yet, but it's surely a very strong like at this point - and it's only day 2.

• Well, late last night while my wife was asleep I got on the headphones and played a bit more...

After more forum and manual reading I discovered the clarity control in the amp pages as well as the clean and distortion sensitivity controls. I guess this is true with any device or amp - getting good sound just took a little bit of time spent adapting the settings to my guitar a bit. It happens pretty fast though, as excessive adjusting was not necessary.

Clarity and clean/dist sens combined with pure cab and definition really make an enormous difference in the sound quality that I heard on the first day.

It was just suggested in the feature requests section that pure cab be assignable by rig, and I think that is 100% needed. The global setting should still exist, however. I also think the same would be smart to implement for clean and distortion sensitivity. I'm playing through an LTD EC1000 with the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. What I noticed is that some profiles sound great using the bridge PU with the sensitivity on zero. However, the cleaner ones really need me to turn the clean sens down -3 or -5. While some of the high gain rigs seem like they were really designed for a higher gain pickup, and on those the JB sounds good at a distortion sens of zero.

Playing more, I am beginning to see some of the artistry and musical thought that went into the programming of this machine. The thought "love" did cross my mind, but I didn't speak the words, so the Kemper doesn't know yet. I'm beginning to understand why this machine has commanded the type of response it has. A high level of thought is behind it, and its parameters, though digital - have an organic feel. This is day 3, so there's still the excitement factor,I wonder what I'll think in a month.

• I also think the same would be smart to implement for clean and distortion sensitivity. I'm playing through an LTD EC1000 with the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. What I noticed is that some profiles sound great using the bridge PU with the sensitivity on zero. However, the cleaner ones really need me to turn the clean sens down -3 or -5. While some of the high gain rigs seem like they were really designed for a higher gain pickup, and on those the JB sounds good at a distortion sens of zero.

If your Input is not locked, you will inherit the rig's Input settings. Set CS and DS for your guitar, and lock the Input: the values will remain consistent. Another option would be to set the values and resave the rig, but I personally prefer to keep is as is.
    If you have more than one guitar, you can save Input settings as presets.

HTH :)

• Cool, thanks. I do have to keep reading.

I can now say that I do love the Kemper. It has a permanent spot in my tiny home studio on a rolling shelf, and I even built a little custom wood S/PDIF cable support so I don't destroy it when rolling it short distances.

I was wondering why the Kemper has so many "product groupies", and now I know. It's a unique device for sure, and as I learn the effects of manipulating the controls - I understand the thinking behind it more and more. In 6 months I should have a much better handle on it. Will be very interesting to see what each firmware upgrade brings as well.

This is definitely mandatory.the good news is that you won't need 6 months. 6 weeks will be more than enough with the two manuals and wikpa in front of you.
    It's not more complex than driving a car, don't let yourself be acted upon by a piece of hardware ;)

I can now say that I do love the Kemper. It has a permanent spot in my tiny home studio on a rolling shelf, and I even built a little custom wood S/PDIF cable support so I don't destroy it when rolling it short distances.

I was wondering why the Kemper has so many "product groupies", and now I know. It's a unique device for sure, and as I learn the effects of manipulating the controls - I understand the thinking behind it more and more. In 6 months I should have a much better handle on it. Will be very interesting to see what each firmware upgrade brings as well.

How awesome is that, Anthony?

I'm wrapped for you mate. You've seen the light! 8o

• Hallelujah!

Gianfranco, thank you, I will remember this -

...don't let yourself to be acted upon by a piece of hardware

Being a very much an amateur/hobbyist regarding music and recording, I delay beginning and finishing projects because of hardware. Typical excuses are "I've just got to learn one more technical thing before I start/finish this..." The real culprit though is laziness ;)

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.