Which is the better option - Friedman ASM-12 or Yamaha DXR-10?

• I know the word "better" is subjective. But for a FRFR monitor on stage, in a loud band setting, for top 40 modern rock cover band stuff (i.e. Shinedown, Van Halen, Alice In Chains, etc.), which do you think would be the best option to go with? I'd like to find a monitor that can give me something close to the "amp in the room" feel, while doing a solid job of producing the tones/profiles as close to the original as possible. Ideally, if the monitor sounds great, I won't need to also use a guitar cab on stage and will just run direct to FOH.

I can get the Friedman and the Yamaha for basically the same price. So throw cost out the window and base this simply on which cab you would go with in the above scenario.

• The word is that the Friedman delivers a cabinet like sound whereas the Yamaha is more of a Hi-Fi tone. I've never played my Kemper through these, so take my word with a grain of salt.

• Yes, it is.

The bridge is an EverTune bridge I had professionally installed. Best fixed bridge ever created (no exaggeration)! It keeps my guitar tuned for weeks, gig after gig. Check it out, especially if you gig and record a lot.

• If you can get the Friedman for the same price as the Yamaha, I would suggest going with the Friedman. ASM will be heavier if that's a concern, but the Friedman looks cooler to me :) The last periscope the Michael Britt did with the Friedman, sounded great..

I'm still holding out for a CLR based on the ability to have two inputs, mix whatever combination to FOH, etc.

• The Friedman ASM 12 will sound like a traditional amp/cab for sure, but with a DXR10 or similar you'll have the added versatility a full PA speaker would provide. Eg, you could run vocals, bass, etc through it as well as the guitar, all at the same time, or use it as a traditional monitor/FOH speaker. The addition of the Pure Cab setting helped close the PA gap to the "amp in room" sound considerably.

If you're only wanting the Kemper to sound like a real amp in the room, the ASM 12 is the easy pick, but if your willing to adjust to hearing the sound of a mic'd cab through a PA (what the audience hears, what is on albums etc) then you'll have a lot of added versatility.

Happy shopping!

• I have owned both. I liked the Yamaha DXR10 very much, although I wish I would have purchased the 12. The Friedman I only kept around for a day. It is an extremely dark cabinet. So much so that I thought the coaxial drivers were broke. So I sent it back to be tested and it was working fine. That told me right away this cab is not for me. So I went with what I know best; Mesa 4x12 4FB.

Best of luck with your choice and if you find it too dark, make sure you buy it from a place that takes returns.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• If you want to move a little more air, then go for the DXR12. Two of them will get you right were you are with a 2x12 cabinet.
    The DXR10 is a bloody monster. Small, lightweight, loud as f**k, very good impulse / attack / transient behaviour, amazingly linear. But if you need some more "body", then the DXR12 is for you. Woofer size matters.

PS: I wouldn't go for the Friedman just for one reason: It has no onboard mixer (2 or more inputs). You have to figure out if a second input would help you ... or not.

• Going into this thread, I was really leaning toward the Friedman. Now I'm torn. The weight of the Friedman certainly isn't appealing. But I do like the fact that it provides a bit more of the "amp in the room" feel. But, it sounds like most of the people on the forum feel that the Yamaha gives a more accurate representation of the Kemper's profiles. Ugh!!!!

• Going into this thread, I was really leaning toward the Friedman. Now I'm torn. The weight of the Friedman certainly isn't appealing. But I do like the fact that it provides a bit more of the "amp in the room" feel. But, it sounds like most of the people on the forum feel that the Yamaha gives a more accurate representation of the Kemper's profiles. Ugh!!!!

In the end you only will know after playing one or the other or both... :)

• As far as my Kemper is concerned, of which I absolutely love, my biggest disappointment in the entire package, was the Friedman ASM 12. I still have it, and I absolutely cannot stand it. Probably one of the biggest disappointments I’ve had in the last few years of purchasing supposedly quality guitar gear. The 500 W rating is a complete and utter joke. I’ve even gone as far as sending it back to Friedman, to have them look at it. They returned it, with zero feedback at all, which is incredibly frustrating. My 25 W mark five, is three times as loud is this box. The input gain is clipped, but nominal input level. I’d give anything in the world if I could sell this thing, but I can’t do it in good conscience, knowing on passing on a piece of garbage. So it just sets in my home studio, never gets used ever. I gave up on it over year ago.