What are generally regarded the best commercial profiles

• Edited: I read the comments below and agree....My bad...I can become over zealous in promotion and I thought it was a good deal to share at the time... :)

However, I disagree on commercial profilers engaging in discussions in this forum. I think it's a great way to interact with customers.

• Is it just me that finds vendors posting in the "third party rig discussions" a bit of awkward ?

I do understand but I think it's a bit unethical to promote your business and engaging in discussions !

Don't mean to start a fuss , just my vision on the purpose of this part of the forum

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Nah, it's not just you ;)

For me, however, it is crucial what the posts are about. If a vendor is posting as a Kemper user, member of this community, and wants to share their knowledge or opinions, I'm all for it. If they want to advertise their products in a context where it simply doesn't belong ... not so much. We have enough space for that elsewhere. :) I have the impression, that luckily most vendors do take the first rather than the second way of engaging with us, but I'd be happy if the rest were to follow suit. ^^

• Despite what has been said in this thread, for me there are definitely better commercial profiles and it's not just "a matter of taste". Some profilers have a better conception than others as to what constitute useable tones for guitars and while I tried to have an open mind in the beginning, with some hindsight I find easy to distinguish those who know what they are doing from those who don't in the profiling business. Some stuff being sold out there is objectively bad straight out of the box; like you'd be using it on a session and the producer would tell you straight away to cut that nasty reverb or be using it with a band and see right away that this eq-ing is terrible in a mix. Some others have years of experience in how a guitar is supposed to sound and cut the BS to give the working musician exactly what they need professionally, like you could load up their stuff at last minute and play a stadium or record a track with no tweak.

• All I want to say is thank God for the Kemper and vendors making and selling profiles.

10 years ago I couldn' even imagine that you could buy an awesome guitar tone and have it forever for 10€ in the box...

Just my 2 cents!

• All I want to say is thank God for the Kemper and vendors making and selling profiles.

10 years ago I couldn' even imagine that you could buy an awesome guitar tone and have it forever for 10€ in the box...

Just my 2 cents!

Exactly that I think!!!

• I know others have addressed this in one form or another, but the matter is completely subjective.

Also, I've purchased a great number of profile packs and downloaded many of the free ones shared. We're talking thousands of profiles. I currently have 120 saved, and I barely even use most of those since I save many as either a novelty, a particular tone that I may need one day that I don't anticipate now, or I just keep some that I think others who fart around on my KPA might think are cool.

I find that sometimes a profile really jumps out at me and I love it immediately, then I turn on the KPA the next day and I don't like it, and likely delete it. There are also cases where I discover I don't really like a particular commercial seller but they have 1 or 2 profiles that are just great. I also find a commercial seller that I think I like, then buy a pack and not wind up keeping a single profile. It's kind of a crapshoot, at least in my case. This has also lead me at different points to be high on the KPA and then frustrated with it.

You're better off knowing the sound you want to get and then searching for what's out there. I'd also try to find the amp on the rig exchange first to try out a number of those profiles. My 3 main profiles out of all that I've purchased are freebies from the rig exchange...

• I've only had my Kemper for a month but I've spent a lot of time searching for profiles.

The Michael Britt free pack has a good variety of profiles most of them sound good quality. It's just a matter of personal taste whether you like how they sound. The same applies to the Tone Junkie free pack.

Top Jimi has a really good Mesa Boogie mkV pack which is an absolute bargain at $12 and covers everything from completely gain free clean to distortion, but without any of the silly scooped mid/mega gain profiles that seem to be all over the rig Exchange.

Theres a really good free profile on Rig Exchange which is a Marshall 'JVM Slash' I think.

• Some others have years of experience in how a guitar is supposed to sound and cut the BS to give the working musician exactly what they need professionally, like you could load up their stuff at last minute and play a stadium or record a track with no tweak.

Indeed, Jed, and I nominate Bert Meulendijk as the best example of this IMHO.

Many would justifiably argue that Michael deserves top spot too, and I agree his stuff's top-notch (and "phase-free", which is important to me), but for me Bert nailed it from the get-go, whereas Michael's Profiles, until recently and to my ears at least, tended to be a little bass-heavy. Easy fix is to simply dial the stack's bass knob back 2 integers, and... done.