I just got a remote and used it all week and it worked perfectly every time. I lead worship at a church. All week, and during soundcheck and a run through of the setlist tonight, everything worked perfectly, as it did all week, and nothing was moved as I left everything set up all week. As soon as I walked out on stage and the service began I had no sound. Nothing, no noise, no clicking popping, the exact thing you'd expect if the Kemper was stuck in tuner mode and muted. I initially thought it was a loose or broken cable.In the middle of the song, (while singing) I moved my volume pedal to access tuner and there was no signal going to my Kemper (as it didn't register the notes I played) After the service I went back on stage investigate and it worked perfectly as it did all week and prior to the service. I'm 99% sure the issue was with something in the Kemper, which scares me because I don't know if I can depend on it in the future, and we have two more services in the morning. Here's why I think that.
Here's what it can't be: The sound man was getting no signal during the service when the issue occurred. I switched guitars between songs. I changed rigs in a performance. It wasn't an issue with the Kemper effect loop, as the loop was bypassed on all the rigs in that performance. (and that wouldn't cause the tuner to not register a signal anyway.) I pressed the tuner button a couple times to go into and out of tuner mode. Later I pulled the plug on the volume pedal. I bent down when during instrumental section of a song and checked the cables going from my guitar into my line6 m5 and from there to the Kemper input. I brought the volume pedal heal to toe numerous times (which is running as an expression pedal in to the kemper, which is set to control volume) The volume pedal seemed to be functioning well anyway, since it put the Kemper in tuner mode in heel position, and back to normal in toe position. (at least everything looked normal on the remote, except it not registering notes from my guitar in tuner mode) I couldn't see the Kemper itself since it's wired up off stage in a closet
Thus everything that could be checked during the service (except the input of the Kemper since it sits in a closet off stage) was checked. Right after the service I walked up on stage and everything worked perfectly, I double checked that the cable going into the Kemper input wasn't was solidly in place, just in case it was barely making a connection. If one of my cables wasn't working good, it would be quite odd, since nothing was cutting in and out, popping cracking or anything, and there wasn't a lose jack or anything like that, before or after. It's really odd, since if there was some sort of software glitch going on, the Kemper didn't get powered down or anything. The Remote was functioning normally prior to, and after the service, and visually looked like everything was working fine during the service, aside from the tuner not registering my notes during service. No my guitar volumes weren't down.
The irony is that I didn't even use my wireless system this weekend, opting to play it safe with a cable. It's really disconcerting, because it could have been quite disastrous, as we play to a click track and there was a new song we did this weekend in which I start with an 8 measure riff, thankfully the team covered well, but it could have been quite worse. To make matters worse, I usually sing lead on 3 or 4 or our five songs, and we transition every song to the next with me usually speaking during the song transitions. To make matters worse, I'm often playing the lead guitar parts and starting songs. As I play with a different combination of volunteer musicians each weekend (we have 3 drummers, 6 guitarists/bassists, 4 keyboardists, and 6 singers that each service a weekend or two a month) with about 40 songs that are used once every month or two, It's not like we can easily prep for a disaster the way a band that plays similar sets with the same musicians regularly.
To summarize, I checked every cable and connection in my signal chain and nothing was not working. I couldn't even get to cut in and out. Besides, any issue it could have been would have been limited to the cables from my guitar to the Kempers input, as nothing later in my chain would affect the internal tuner not getting notes) Thus the issue couldn't have been the effects loop in the x slot, the main output on the Kemper, or anything else in the PA system signal chain. It was 100% perfect before, and 100% perfect after. And zero sound or noise of any sort during the service. I'm kind of annoyed because I just laid out a lot of money for the Remote, figuring it was the professional thing to upgrade, even though I had used my $150 Behringer FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper without the slightest glitch for the past year. (150 services, 100 soundcheck/setlist run throughs, 50 rehearsals, and countless personal practice sessions during the week)