Head or rack?

• Hi folks! First time poster here. I'm about to order a Kemper but can't really deside whether to buy the toaster or the rack version. Just when I think I've made up my mind, I go; 'or should I go for the other one instead...?'. I need some serious input from you experts. I'm aware of the differences (no leds for the tone knobs and no modulation knobs on the rack version). I will use it in my cover band, both live and for practice. If I'll go for the toaster, I'm gonna buy the Thon rack from Thomann where I can put the Remote as well.

Right now I'm more into the head version. So what say you?

Thanks,
    /Snake from Sweden

• The rack makes sense if all your gear is racked together all the time.
    Makes it much easier to build up and tear down your gear on stage.
    If you want to take your profiler home however the head is much more transportable and in this case the rack is a bit clumsy IMO.

HTH and welcome.

• Thanks for input! :) I think I'll go for the toaster after all... I'm not using any other rack gear so a toaster in the Thomann rack together with the Remote should be perfect for safe transport.

• I've owned both (toaster and rack) and if you're taking it out to play live, the rack version is better solution imo. All the knobs are much better protected and it's moved about a lot easier than the "toaster" version. I wouldn't stress out about the missing LED's on the rack version. I've found you generally find the sounds you like, and stick with them. The LED's are actually a distraction imo. Use you're ears, not a ring of LED's to find what works.

Mount it in a shallow SKB case and you're good to play anything form a small bar or Wembley stadium, all in a 3u shallow rack. :)

• The toaster have more indication at frontside. (The LED's for EQ). I like this.
    And it's looking cool. ;) Racks are standing around since the last decades.

Seriuosly speaking. Its really a personal decition. For playing is no difference - just to carry and store. :)

• I have both, I don't edit much at all live and the rack is perfectly fine. If I did do a lot of tweaking I would prefer the toaster version. In my studio I use the toaster and really find the LED's very convenient for editing and quick viewing of the settings. Hope this has helped you a bit in what version to go for. What ever one you decide to get you will not be disappointed :)

• Can't really add anything to the wise words offered so far; they seem to cover all the logical stuff. Ultimately, it's your decision, Snake... unfortunately!

I will say this 'though: I've always felt that although the toaster looks way cooler live, I'd feel more comfortable using the rack in a sturdy housing. It would sit more securely, much like a head, on a cabinet. I'd not be worried about accidentally knocking it onto the ground, whereas with the uber-cool toaster...

Welcome to the forum, Snake!

• Thanks all for your wise inputs and warm welcomes. :) Now it's up to me, I guess... I feel like the toaster would look so much cooler together with my tube heads in the mancave. On the other hand the reason I buy the Kemper is for playing live with the band. So a rack would be more suitable. Aaahh! :D

• Thanks all for your wise inputs and warm welcomes. :) Now it's up to me, I guess... I feel like the toaster would look so much cooler together with my tube heads in the mancave. On the other hand the reason I buy the Kemper is for playing live with the band. So a rack would be more suitable. Aaahh! :D

Be quick now with your decision otherwise you'll get a split personality very soon. :)

• I would highly recommend the following:

- Rack Version
    - SKB Shallow 4U
    - Rack Panel with 12 slots and the needed connectors moved to the front of the rack.

If you go this way you have a few advantages:

1. weight - the SKB with the rack should be much lighter to carry around than the Thon case which is made of heavy wooden material, even with the option to place the remote in the back lid of the skb as somebody used to do here.

2. no need to use the connectors on the KPA that much. Especially in case of the remote port in the back there seems to be some premature wear in the connector so that a rack with a cable routed to the front would help avoid this problem (if there really is a problem) + you can also put a POE injector in the back of the rack to have some additional cable lenght.

3. Place the Rack and plug it in... Can´t imagine a simpler setup without ever reaching for the back ;)

4. an overall future-proof solution. If you ever plan on updating your gear with some rack components you can simply do that. Just put the rack panel away and you have place for a tuner, wireless, effects-processor or whatever you may need. If you need more place for bigger processors, just replace the rack.

I am using this for quite some time and i couldn´t be happier with it. The Rack is easy to carry and relatively small. I use another cheap case from Stagg which costs about 25 EUR and fits the remote + cable perfectly. This way it is so easy to move everything from home to rehearsal and back. In my opinion, nothing better and easier to handle!

• Hi,

all good advice above. cant really go wrong with either. only technical advantage i can see with a toaster is if you get un-powered version, some 3rd party amps fit in the back, there a few of them floating around.

then there is this http://pimpmykemper.com/
    for man cave themes....
    Head will work better on a desk, at home etc. unless you have rack gear, but even so, it will sit on a rack interface easily too. Either can dim led's and change screen color iirc,
    imho go for toaster since you like that look better, and will feel a bit better firing it up each time :)

also, recently saw some dude get a custom case for his rack unit, there a company that does this, you can order it how you like,handle, tolex, depth etc.. can't find that link atm, but was from a few days ago, looks nice, so worth checking out.

If you like the look of it there are lots of options, some ppl make skins for em..

also check the post your rig thread for info, tons of ideas there, and lots of eye candy :)

if you can swing it, nothing wrong with both, it does bass 2, can bi amp....

all kinds of options,

enjoy :)

• also, recently saw some dude get a custom case for his rack unit, there a company that does this, you can order it how you like,handle, tolex, depth etc.. can't find that link atm, but was from a few days ago, looks nice, so worth checking out.

Believe it was from casesmithcustoms.com. Haven't ordered from them (yet), but I have been emailing a bit back and forth with Reed there about a custom finished-wood case and he's been super responsive and open to a wide variety of custom options.

• Believe it was from casesmithcustoms.com. Haven't ordered from them (yet), but I have been emailing a bit back and forth with Reed there about a custom finished-wood case and he's been super responsive and open to a wide variety of custom options.

The pic's of the rack custom case you guys are talking about are in this thread Link (page 43) half way down, if anyone is interested. .

• The pic's of the rack custom case you guys are talking about are in this thread Link (page 43) half way down, if anyone is interested

Wow.

Those are some pretty good detective skills :)

Since they are custom, making a case for kpa toaster should be nice too.. Something like this if you like maple, no decent pics below size limit so posting this then a couple links to eye candy. The links give a better sense of how a toaster would fit and look.

better images here :

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2…ateReserve_FlameMaple.jpg

and

http://willcuttguitars.com/product images/120514/MK5-11214-3.jpg