My daily stupid question - How to hook up the Yamaha DXR10

• Today's stupid question, brought to you by me again.

If I want to use the Yamaha DXR10 as my monitor and send a direct signal to FOH, I have a couple questions.

• To hook up the DXR, do I just take a 1/4" out of the monitor out and into the DXR? Does it have to be a speaker cable?
    • When sending the signal to the mains, if I'm just using a mono signal, I'm assuming I can just take an XLR out of the left main and hook that into the snake that leads back to the board, correct? My concern is, phantom power. I know the manual says the XLR outputs are protected against Phantom power. And it then says "However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the Profiler if you want the best audio quality." So if I'm reading this correctly, using an XLR out to the snake won't cause any loss in audio quality, or damage to the Kemper. It's only if I'm using Phantom power going INTO the Inputs that it may cause issues, correct? I just want to make sure I have this correct because in the past, I've plugged in an iPad into a snake using a 1/8" to XLR cord, and it fried the iPad because I didn't use a DI box in between the two to prevent Phantom power from being sent back into the iPad. I just want to make sure I don't fry my Kemper.
  • Consider that you can send a very high level from the KPA monitor out to the yamaha DXR Line input (jack) wthout overloading it.
    Now I have my monitor output set to -3 db into the yamaha, set between -8 and -20.
    This helps reducing some hiss which might come by pairing the monitor out to the yamaha line input, those two are not perfectly in love :)

• I have the DXR10 connected to main out. Then I have the Yamaha to almost minimumgain. Its freakin loud. The monitor out gives a LOT of hiss. Tried reducing the output but that doesn't help.

• I have the DXR10 connected to main out. Then I have the Yamaha to almost minimumgain. Its freakin loud. The monitor out gives a LOT of hiss. Tried reducing the output but that doesn't help.

You should try with an higher output setting, so you can keep the yamaha lower :)
    The output from the KPA itself ain't noisy, but it becomes so when connected to the yahama TS input. With other cabinets, dead silent.
    I have noticed that the higher you keep the monitor out (i have tried even on 0 db, it doesn't clip the yamaha ts input), the lower level you can set on the yamaha without having too much hiss for a live environment.

• You should try with an higher output setting, so you can keep the yamaha lower :)

I think that's what he does, thinking th hiss comes from the KPA, but it comes from the DXR.

The output from the KPA itself ain't noisy, but it becomes so when connected to the yahama TS input. With other cabinets, dead silent.
    I have noticed that the higher you keep the monitor out (i have tried even on 0 db, it doesn't clip the yamaha ts input), the lower level you can set on the yamaha without having too much hiss for a live environment.

This! ;)

• Interesting. How can that happen? Some interaction between the dxr10 and the Kemper?

Power amps (like what is built into the DXR) have a signal-to-noise ratio. It's basically the ratio between its power (or signal) to its noise.

So you crank the DXR and the noise floor raises on its own power amp.

Turn up the Kemper and down the DXR, and bam - noise floor of your power amp lowers, and it has a hotter signal to play with.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• No. It is just the the DXR adds a little hiss to the signal, so you feed it hot and keep it low.

To be honest i have hooked my Zoom G3 to the DXR TS in, and it doesn't have that hiss.
    I think there's some interaction between the monitor out and the Yamaha preamp, but nothing that can make this lovely combo unusable.

• Could also have poor power. Try ground lift.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• I have tried that, but nothing changed.
    And this happens even in different location and to several other guys (in the italian FB page we have talked a bit about this), and some have sent both the KPA and the DXR to be serviced beach they thought to some issues, but both were sent back with the diagnosis "everything works as it should".

• No. It is just the the DXR adds a little hiss to the signal, so you feed it hot and keep it low.

Thanks Ingolf. It just sounded that there is more than just S/N. Actually I prefer playing but I will check that soon.