Impressed with Kemper's Compressor Stomp

• In deed - rule of thumb seems to be that no compressor is needed for gainier sounds, because the gain itself compresses the signal. I, however, agree with you on this one. And if it sounds good, it is good.

• Impressed with Kemper's Compressor Stomp[/url]']whack the Comp Soft in with a noise gate at 4:1 at the end and you can improve and tighten metal/ heavy rock tones I find.

Can you clarify what you mean here? Guitar --> Comp --> Gate --> Amp?

I've tried a similar approach in the past to get a more consistent level between my palm mutes and single-note bits... didn't have much success. I'd love to hear a before/after clip though.

• If you got the four stomps I put the Comp Soft on C Stomp, intensity 3, Attack 2.5, Squash 0 (I think this is the default setting), then on D Stomp Noise Gate on 4:1 set to 4.0 (with the main noise gate on 7) so both working together.

Gain on distortions I generally have 6.5. I've found this has given me a more even distortion and tightened up single notes. I've used this on a few different profiles and it's worked for me, just be advised I'm also a fan of Pure Cabinet set to 4.0 with 2.5 Space.

• If you got the four stomps I put the Comp Soft on C Stomp, intensity 3, Attack 2.5, Squash 0 (I think this is the default setting), then on D Stomp Noise Gate on 4:1 set to 4.0 (with the main noise gate on 7) so both working together.

Gain on distortions I generally have 6.5. I've found this has given me a more even distortion and tightened up single notes. I've used this on a few different profiles and it's worked for me, just be advised I'm also a fan of Pure Cabinet set to 4.0 with 2.5 Space.

Hi Chargrilled,

Just curious...does this mean you have stomps "A" and "B" empty? The reason I ask, is that one typically puts a Compressor first in the FX chain. Or perhaps second, if you are using a Wah. Obviously, this isn't set in stone. However, it is more or less "common" practice.

Cheers,
    John

• I find that the Amp Compressor works beautifully on many cleans here, specially in conjunction with removing some Pick Attack. If you add a strong dose of the front Noise Gate you go very close to some Metheny's :)

• I also use the comp in the amp section. If I want a country picking sound i may use the stomp. Compressed sounds is nice, but to much you ruin your tone. You have to use just enaugh to make it feel natural.
    Both Gate and comp is good on the Kemper.

• I find that the Amp Compressor works beautifully on many cleans here, specially in conjunction with removing some Pick Attack. If you add a strong dose of the front Noise Gate you go very close to some Metheny's :)

I might try that, but I like a lot of dynamics with my cleans. A little would probably go a long way though, will try it out with some of my favourite profiles.

• For what it's worth, as an engineer I'd probably steer towards the amp compressor as it's more of an "integral-to-the-sound" "effect" as opposed to a stomp.

The sort of effect a stomp creates is something I'd rather tackle in mixing where the exact settings can be tailored to the song.

• For what it's worth, as an engineer I'd probably steer towards the amp compressor as it's more of an "integral-to-the-sound" "effect" as opposed to a stomp.

The sort of effect a stomp creates is something I'd rather tackle in mixing where the exact settings can be tailored to the song.

I wouldn't make that a law. If you set up the compression in your DAW, you alter the signal after amp / cab / mic / preamp - chain. If you use it in the stomp section of the amp, you can alter / control your signal that comes from the pickups and before it goes into the amp. There are numerous situations in which the latter might be preferred.

• I agree joerch.

That's why I said, "I'd (that's me, not a law) probably steer" (in the direction I mentioned). I simply meant to communicate that for me, that's where I'd go first in most situations, not all. This is also why I said, "for what it's worth", 'cause... it's not a law or definitive path; it's... a flavour, I guess, that I and many others appreciate.

For the purposes you refer to 'though, I'm with you 100% joerch.

• The Compressor in the Amp section works differently tho, it's not just an embedded compressor stomp.

Start with a distorted tone and the amp compressor on, and then clean your tone through your guitar's volume... It's specialized for sustaining your volume while the gain goes down :)

• The Compressor in the Amp section works differently tho, it's ot just an embedded compressor stomp.
    start with a distorted tone and the amp compressor on, snd the clean your tone through thr guitar volume... It's specialized for sustaining your volume while the gain goes down :)

This. And that's why the amp compressor in the Kemper is really unique.
    With a medium distorted profile when you turn guitar level down to clean up you start to hear the compressor kick in as the tone gets cleaner and cleaner.
    IMHO this feature is genius and responsible for the Kemper's superior expressiveness while staying on one rig, with some many in-between-tones possible from your fingertips.

• Couldn't agree more with the last 2 posts. I'm having a total blast playing around with the knobs on the new LP with pretty much any rig I land on. Amazing actually, and what makes the Kemper the top of the mountain IMO.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams