So why the DXR series?

• Just curious... After being a member here for a few months, it seems like the Yamaha DXR series is the only PA style cabinet ever recommended as a monitor. There are about a half dozen FRFR floor wedges and amp-style cabinets that get tossed around as suggestions, but when it comes to PA bins, it's always the DXR.

Is it "bang for the buck", a "critical mass" effect, or is there something about the DXR compared to its competitors that lends itself better to digital guitar? And by "critical mass", I don't mean anything negative. The SM57 is often the critical-mass mic recommended to a first timer, because everyone has used it, everyone knows that it is decent for most applications. And while it might not always be the best mic in a given situation, it's solid, usable, and won't break the bank, hence a better recommendation than something more esoteric.

Is the DXR series the SM57 of PA cabs, or is it something else?

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Dont worry. I dont like the dxr. Too much mids for my taste. I play an rcf10sma but its more than double in price. Also the new atomic frfr is a winner.
    I think the hype for the dxr is the price and for the bucks it sounds ok.

• The DXR-series is a decent compromise wrt price, power, features and portability. It is also among the PA-tops that are most forgiving in terms of placement. The sound in wedge position is better than most other PA-tops. I prefer coaxial wedges with a wide (both horisontal and vertical) dispersion pattern so the DXR would only score average on my rating of monitors for the KPA.

• In this price range the DXR10 is a real winner. I personnaly had QSC K10s and replaced them for DXR10s with no regrets apart for acoustic gigs where the QSC shine a little more IMHO.

• Question for Eltzejupp...
    I have a RCF as well, but the 12'' version. I find it a bit brittle for clean sounds, compared to my prefered reference sound from my twin reverb (I know, I am not supposed to get the same sound, since I'm hearing a miked version of the amp with an FRFR system). Nevertheless, I'd like to know if you've tweaked the EQ on the Kemper monitor Out or used any adjustment to your profiles in order to get the sound you like?

• I use a DXR8 because i played the Kemper with it in the store, and i know this is good quality, and the size is what i am looking for, because I dont want to carry around heavy tubeamps anymore.. I dont have the chance to test an Atomic.. I think its also a good reference when you make rigs.. and its not big difference when i play my rigs trough our JBL PA! Many people are afraid of the mids, but for guitarsounds its realy the clue to get fat sounds and sounds that cut trough!

• The DXR-series is a decent compromise wrt price, power, features and portability. It is also among the PA-tops that are most forgiving in terms of placement. The sound in wedge position is better than most other PA-tops. I prefer coaxial wedges with a wide (both horisontal and vertical) dispersion pattern so the DXR would only score average on my rating of monitors for the KPA.

Same here...coaxial all the way, for me. I just couldn't get used to the hi-fi directionality (the HF driver, in particular) of a 2-way monitor. For me, my coaxial-based XiTone 1x12 wedge gives me much more of a "guitar cabinet" feel and immersion. But this is just personal preference and taste. I have a Yammy MSR100 (generation prior to DBR), which I use for other music reproduction, and I love it. Yamaha makes a fantastic product at a very impressive cost/value relationship. Fantastic bang for the buck.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Question for Eltzejupp...
    I have a RCF as well, but the 12'' version. I find it a bit brittle for clean sounds, compared to my prefered reference sound from my twin reverb (I know, I am not supposed to get the same sound, since I'm hearing a miked version of the amp with an FRFR system). Nevertheless, I'd like to know if you've tweaked the EQ on the Kemper monitor Out or used any adjustment to your profiles in order to get the sound you like?

Hi, i use:
    pure cab at 2,5, Space at 5,
    studio eq in stomp x if necessary. 650 hz to - 2 or 3 db, and 2300 hz to - 2 up to - 4 db if the hights are a bit to harsh.
    I just bought guido bugendtocks tubethomas profiles. With them i tweak nothing. Hear my soundcloud exsample with the link under my sign.
    Try the settings and let me hear what you think
    cheers
    Frank

• Again it's the price vs quality issue for me. I'd rather some of the other PA like systems out there tbh but to get a noticeable sound improvement you're talking about double the price. It's a market of diminishing returns with the dxr very well placed along the curve

Still very tempted to get a 2x12 with cream backs though

• I find it funny when guys say the coaxial isn't a 2 way speaker. It is still a 2 way speaker, the tweeter is just placed where the dust cap would normally be on the bass driver, making it coincident point. It still utilized a bass driver/tweeter, and a crossover making it a 2 way, and path lengths would be near identical to the traditional "separates" monitor.

• I find it funny when guys say the coaxial isn't a 2 way speaker. It is still a 2 way speaker, the tweeter is just placed where the dust cap would normally be on the bass driver, making it coincident point. It still utilized a bass driver/tweeter, and a crossover making it a 2 way, and path lengths would be near identical to the traditional "separates" monitor.

You are correct. In my post above, I should have been more clear, and used the full term "2-way component" type speaker/monitor, to differentiate it from a coaxial type speaker/monitor.

• I think the Yamaha is recommended because it's a great price, very well constructed, light, a small footprint and above all sounds great. Well that's my opinion any way :)

This.
    Plus add the fact that the light mid pronounciation of the DXR 10 helps greatly on 'busy' or trebly stages and this also helps a lot of guitar players do the transition from guitar cabs to FRFR (which is difficult for guitarists anyway).
    I also don't agree with @Eltzejupp at all about it being hyped.
    The DXR 10 got a lot of love not by hype but by recommendation of several users and others having the same postitive experiences.
    And it doesn't sound only ok for the price, it holds up well with much more expensive solutions.
    Personally I got two Atomic CLR's as well, and still I use the DXR 10 live (because it sounds great and is convenient).

• So so what exactly made the DXR better than the K10?

The DXR10 is not better than the K10 at large but it is better IMO when use with a KPA. Read the precedent post from Ingolf because I totaly share his opinion on the DXR10. I would say that, while the K10 isa very good speaker for PA use, the DXR has this tone that is very usefull on a noisy stage and the mid bump (light mid bump) make it sound more like a guitar cab.

• Hi Ingolf, i know you love your dxr ;)
    Its only my thought because you know i like the scooped sounds of a mesa boogie, like John Petrucci uses.
    These ones are not reacheable with the mid sounding dxr, believe me i tried it.
    Dont tried the clr yet but i like to compare it to my rcf. But sadly i heard that you dont come to frankfurt musikmesse, so i think we dont meet this year to compare the cabs.
    cheers
    Frank

• Hi Ingolf, i know you love your dxr ;)
    Its only my thought because you know i like the scooped sounds of a mesa boogie, like John Petrucci uses.
    These ones are not reacheable with the mid sounding dxr, believe me i tried it.
    Dont tried the clr yet but i like to compare it to my rcf. But sadly i heard that you dont come to frankfurt musikmesse, so i think we dont meet this year to compare the cabs.
    cheers
    Frank

I'm not decided on Frankfurt yet, Frank. But I'm 100% sure you can get scooped sounds with the DXR. You just need to scoop a little more, Scooper. :)