Yamaha DXR 10 settings question

• I know there is already a thread that has some Yamaha DXR settings listed, but my question is a little different than the info that was provided there.

I finally had the chance to try my KPA with something other than headphones, my Yamaha DXR 10. It sounds MUCH better and I'm now really considering selling off my current tube amp rig in place of this.

However, on some of the profiles I'm using, (some of the Tim Owens BE100 profiles for example), when playing some heavy palm-muted stuff, the DXR sounds almost like the speaker has a little too much flub or is farting out a bit. This happens when I'm testing it at what will likely be my stage volume, which is quite loud. Loud enough to easily hear it outside my house.

My question is, will this flub sound, also come through the PA if I'm going direct to the front of house? The PA system is solid, with mains, subs, crossovers, etc. My assumption is this sound wont come through the mains since it has more to do with the speaker of the DXR speaker not being able to handle what I'm sending to it, rather than the signal being sent out by the Kemper. But I just wanted to check. I can probably live with this on stage because it's not TOO bad. Is there anything obvious I should be doing with the DXR or Kemper to prevent that on stage? I know I could turn down the bass, but I don't want to do that because the EQ sounds really good as is, and if I turn it down, then it'll also change the sound of what I'm sending to FOH, and I really want to hear the same thing on stage as what I'm sending to FOH.

• Well that was a quick 180.
    Considering selling your amp already.

We had an idea you would feel this way. :D Glad to hear it and have fun.

A pro will be in shortly to help you.

LOL. Not quite a 180 yet, more like a 170. haha. But yes, I'm almost there. There are a few things I need to get resolved with the Kemper before I can officially decide to sell my other rig. But I'm trying to figure them out on my own before asking the forum as I feel like I've reached my quota for dumb questions in the past 2 weeks.

Right now, my concern only remaining big concern is how the Kemper will perform live. I'm going to bring it to my gig next weekend because I want to see how it sounds when run direct to FOH. And next week is one of our lesser gigs. So I'd rather risk having a bad sound there than at one of our top notch places. If it sounds as good when run direct to FOH as it does through my Yamaha, then that will likely be the last bit of convincing that I need. I'm loving how it sounds here in the house (even if the people in the 3 mile radius around me have different opinions).

• Yep, check if you are clipping the Profiler anywhere.
    Do you hear the same in the HPs? If you are not, is the cab or its coupling with the Profiler. Try reducing the Profiler's output and raise the cab's volume in order to compensate. If this persists, it's the cab (which should not do it, BTW. Contact your dealer if this is confirmed).

HTH

• The DXR10 has physical limits, of course. If you drive it to near max, then it will start to sound flubby, of course. It's not a 12" or 15" speaker which would provide some more bass.

Let me put it that way: Most people who love the DXR10 (including me) play quite loud but not extremely loud. And I assume that happy DXR10 users aren't looking for massive bass response. If this is important to you, then the DXR12 (or for a quite convincing bass rumble the DXR15) could be a better choice.
    Sometimes I like to play some Fender combo profiles (or similar).and for this the DXR12 and even more the DXR15 are way to bottom heavy to my taste. So I settled with the DXR10, just like so many others.

So it's up to you if you think you just need a second DXR10 ... or try a DXR12 or 15. For me it was easy cause I could test them and other brands in the music store. For you it seems to be a bit more difficult, sadly.

• What settings and input channel are you using?

Here are the settings I'm using. And no, I don't play a 7-string. I'm currently in 440 tuning. Although I do occasionally tune down to 430 and drop D.

I'm going from the monitor out of my non-powered Kemper to the L/Mono line in of the channel 2 input on the DXR. I have the D-Contour and HPF both set to "off", and the DXR set to "mono". I have the volume knob of the DXR set to 0db. On my Kemper, I've got the outputs set to 0db as well. I used one of the Amp Factory's BE100 profiles and didn't change anything in it (I earlier mistakenly thought it was one of Tim Owens' profiles). So I haven't increased the bass or changed the EQ at all.

Again, I do have it cranked pretty loud, so it may just be the Yamaha reaching it's limit. The overall tone and EQ sounds great. I just want to make sure I'm not going to kill the speaker. This should be loud enough for my on-stage needs but I won't know until I try it next weekend when I hear my drummers cymbals crashing all around me. And like I mentioned before, it's not that the flubby-ness is overly present. It's just there enough for me to notice that it's not really tight. As long as it doesn't hurt the speaker, I can certainly live with this. In fact, I may end up buying another DXR10 to put behind me on stage, and if I do that, I'll be able to reduce the volume of them a little bit which would tighten it up.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong in settings to cause this. Overall, I'm VERY happy with the DXR choice. I can hear why some people say it has a little bit of mid-range built into it. But as a guitar player, I like the additional mids.

• I put it short now. Just wrote a detailed answer to your question and then pushed the reply button instead of the send button. All my writings are gone. Happened to me many times. F*ck!!!!!

Just try different profiles. Recomendations: Guido's, G1 Productions and MBritts. Depends on the guitars sound.
    If it doesn't fit right away, I don't use it. Only minor adjustments - mostly definition parameter.

I use Yamaha DBR-12 instead of DXR-10. Cheaper, lighter - no regrets.

Now I push the fu**cking send button. I push send not reply - send is the button I push - what do I push? Send!!!!!!

• :) Everyone's already basically said what I would. Use the bass cut on the dxr10; roll off some bass using a hpf on a kemper eq; check for any clipping on the kemper and the dxr; TAF profiles can be loud and often have an eq added with a boost, try turning it off; put the monitor on a pole. That's all I can think of for now

• Todd just eq it so you don't get flub. Turn the bass down! Don't forget you only have a 10" woofer and will only get so much out of it before it farts out. You may want to step up to a 12" I know a place that has a sale on brand new QSC K12's for 600.00!