Help with 7 string tones on passive pickups

• I use ernie ball cobalts for clarity, for a sound sample of what they sound like check my Di's here. They are expensive but it helps articulate single notes a lot better. (I use BKP Cold Sweats).

• Intuitively, I would say: try a compression stomp in slot B or C, flanked by noise gates, to recreate (in a much more controllable way) the built-in compression from active pickups. I know it's unusual to put a compressor in front of a high gain amp and you'll have to use a gentle setting to avoid excessive feedback, but it might work to make the gain a little more consistent (since those BKP's are probably too dynamic compared to the actives you're used to). That way, you'll avoid losing clarity on heavy pick attacks while still retaining saturation on longer note trails.

Oh and those Ernie Ball Cobalts are great -- though I use active pickups (SD Blackouts) myself.

• So I've recently switched to a 7 with passive pickups (BKP Juggernauts). I really like them but i'm finding it really hard to dial in the right amount of gain to leave me with enough clarity while still retaining that saturation you get from having enough gain.

Any tips here, maybe something i'm missing, eq etc?

Thanks

have you tried the 'Clarity' parameter?
    A Green Scream with 0.0 Drive, Tone to taste and a little bit of push from Level might also help.

• have you tried the 'Clarity' parameter?
    A Green Scream with 0.0 Drive, Tone to taste and a little bit of push from Level might also help.

Many thanks for the replies!

I always pick rigs which have been done with a tubescreamer of some kind out front, i've never had results i like from the KPA's built in alternative.

Will look at clarity, thanks.