Which is "louder" Atomic CLR Active Wedge or Yamaha DXR10?

• And by louder, I don't just mean db level. I mean, which can reach the higher volume, before the speaker starts flubbing out?

I've got the Yamaha DXR10 and it seems to be loud enough in terms of db levels, but when I get it to the loudness level that I prefer for stage volume (which is quite loud, especially for just a 4-piece band), the 10" speaker just doesn't seem to be able to handle the low frequencies all that well when I'm palm muting. I'm not drop-tuned or doing anything like that. Mostly standard 440 or 430 tunings.

I know I could EQ my monitor mix differently, but I'd prefer not to do that because I want to hear as close to what is coming out of the mains as possible. Plus, I like how the low end sounds in the Yamaha, minus the extra rumbling/flub from the speaker. I'm considering returning the Yamaha and buying the Atomic CLR wedge instead. My hunch is that it'd handle the palm muting a little better since it's got a 12" speaker as opposed to 10". However, when comparing the specs between the two monitors, it says the Yamaha is 700 watts bi-amped, and the Atomic is 500 watts bi-amped.

I know the CLR has received better reviews in terms of sound quality. So I'm not worried about that. But is it a safe assumption that the Atomic will handle the lower end frequencies a little better than the Yamaha, while still being able to produce the volume that I need on stage? Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in my area who has a CLR, and they're not available in any stores around here. So, I can't compare them side by side. I've watched Ingolf's comparison videos (both of them), a couple time. And while those videos provided some great info, due to the compression of online videos, there's really no way of getting a feel for the two in terms of volume.

• Hmm... No real suggestions here, only things to consider:

You could also try the DXR12, which might be more readily available for you to try locally?

Otherwise, you could also use the EQ effect in the X slot (if that's not in use currently in your Kemper) - I believe one of them (the graphic EQ?) has a low-pass filter, which might solve your problem without impacting the sound quality. Incidentally, this way you'd send the same signal to your DXR as you send to FOH.

Apart from this, there's no way to be sure you get "the same" sound FOH as you do with your stage monitor - the sound guy could conceivably EQ the mains also. Personally, I wouldn't worry overmuch about this.

• I may look into the DXR12. I guess another option to consider would be to buy a second DXR10 and run both of them, which would be MORE than enough combined volume, while allowing me to roll the volume per monitor down a bit, and reduce the flub. That's a similar setup to how I'm running my two 1x12 cabs now (one in front as a monitor, and one in back facing the crowd).

So many choices, so little dimes! haha

• I have both DXR 10 and Atomic CLR.
    I have never been in a situation where I needed to crank them up this way, because both are plenty.
    My gut feeling tells me the DXR is louder though.

One idea: what happens @OhG if you turn up the DXR to 14 o'clock and then give yourself a loudness boost by turning up the Profiler more?
    This must be easily 120 dB or more. Take care of your ears, man.

• One idea: what happens @OhG if you turn up the DXR to 14 o'clock and then give yourself a loudness boost by turning up the Profiler more?
    This must be easily 120 dB or more. Take care of your ears, man.

Mine only goes to eleven. Haha. Sorry, had to throw in the Spinal Tap reference. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow and take note of exactly where I have the volumes set on the DXR, the Kemper, as well as which profile I'm using so that will help provide a more accurate idea as to how loud I'm looking to go. I don't have a dB meter, but I can't imagine I'm close to 120 dB. That'd be insane and my singer would push me off the stage if I got to that volume. (c:

• Since you are used to having one cabinet behind you, and another toward the front of the stage, I think you would be happier with two cabinets instead of changing to a different single cabinet.

Running two cabinets creates a huge sound, without needing ear-damaging volume.

I'm leaning toward this route. I like the sound and feel that I'm getting from the Kemper and the DXR. I'm just concerned that I may damage the speaker when playing at my full volume with one DXR and palm muting. So maybe adding a second DXR is the way to go to give me a more familiar feel to what I've been used to. That would also provide more flexibility in terms of running stereo, or just bringing one DXR to smaller gigs.

• I play with 2 DXR10s cranked.

Although it is in a 12x13 room. ;(
    They are loud and they vibrate EVERYTHING.
    I am slowly removing offending objects.

Worst off is my other guitars in the room. The strings on them go ballistic when I run some palm mutes.
    Especially the acoustic guitars.

• Okay guys, so I finally had a chance this morning to do 2 very quick videos to demonstrate the speaker flub that I referenced in the beginning of this thread. The videos are below.

Here are my settings:

• RIG: Amp Factory AF9-BE SS Full4+ (this rig sounds awesome by the way)
    • Master volume is unlinked and is set at -15dB (although for this issue, that is irrelevant). Both outputs (monitor and main) are set to Master Mono.
    • I'm running from monitor out into the line 2 input of the DXR10. The monitor output is linked to the master volume and the monitor output is set to -11.8 and the main volume on the front of the Kemper is turned up to 5.1. The DXR volume is set at the "zero" setting on the back.
    • On the back of the DXR, I'm using it in mono mode, with both D-Contour and HPF set to "off"
    • At no time does the light on the back of the DXR indicate any clipping, and none of the lights on the Kemper ever hit red, although I have noticed that they all light up a brighter green when I hit the strings harder. But no red, so I'm assuming I'm not clipping anything in the Kemper.

The rig itself sounds great. And the volume is about where I'd need it for stage volume (I'd prefer a little more, but that issue would be solved with buying a 2nd DXR10 to place behind me. The rig does seem a bit noisy to me, but I can address that later. Right now, I'd like to know what to make of this speaker flub.

In this first video, it's just me raking the strings. No palm muting. I've got the strings muted with my fret hand and just raking across all of them. You'll hear that there is some extra speaker rumbling sounds in there.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In this second video, you'll hear the rumbling a lot more. I palm mute the low E string (standard 440 tuning) and it's not too bad. When I palm mute the A string and let that ring slightly, you'll hear it quite a bit.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I plan to take the Kemper to a gig tonight (not to use as my main rig) and hook it up through the PA. I'm assuming this rumbling will not come through the PA and is strictly a result of the DXR. But I also want to test the Kemper tonight to see if this AmpFactory BE-SS Full4+ rig sounds great through the PA when running direct to FOH. If it does, then I'll likely keep the Kemper (my return period end next week), and then hopefully be able to address this speaker issue. If it doesn't sound good, then the speaker issue is irrelevant because if it doesn't sound good through the front of house and sound very close to what it sounds like through the DXR10, then it defeats the purpose of me buying it to begin with.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited once, last by OhG ().

• That's what I thought. But since I've never owned a Kemper or a DXR before, I didn't know if it was something in my settings causing this, or if I'm just pushing the DXR beyond its limits.

• I don't necessarily think you're pushing the DXR beyond its limits as such - then I'd expect the low E would sound just as bad. Sounds like something begins to rattle or something like that. No expert, and no experience - but that's my guess. Can't remember if you ordered the DXR from somewhere or you bought it at a store. If the latter, I'd see if I could get it switched out with a different unit right away. I've never heard anybody complain about this before (though it's certainly possible I would have missed it if they did)

• I bought it new at Guitar Center, and I'm still within my return period. I'm heading to a gig in a few minutes so I don't have time to try using it in a different position (great suggestion though). I'll give that a try tomorrow. But at this point, I think I may just return it and try another. I've also got the option of buying an Atomic CLR active wedge for around $720. I paid $600 for the DXR. So it may be worth it to just spend the extra $120.